Big law is ballin', but...

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
bigkahuna2020
Posts: 494
Joined: Tue Nov 09, 2010 2:12 am

Re: Big law is ballin', but...

Postby bigkahuna2020 » Sat Nov 20, 2010 6:37 pm

canuck wrote:
bigkahuna2020 wrote:
You also have 10X the amount of winter as us. Would it also be justified if America got pumped up about beating Lithuania at basketball?



It would appear so...http://www.insidehoops.com/usa-082104.shtml


Not an example of Americans getting pumped about beating Lithuania. Methinks you need to carve out 10 more hours a week to learn reading.

User avatar
ResolutePear
Posts: 8614
Joined: Fri Jul 02, 2010 10:07 pm

Re: Big law is ballin', but...

Postby ResolutePear » Sat Nov 20, 2010 6:38 pm

AreJay711 wrote:
canuck wrote:
prezidentv8 wrote:
canuck wrote:Finally, the idea that you don't learn more with more hours is just silly. More hours = more information and more time to analyze issues.


Well, to be fair, not always...

Image

At some point you'll dip into the negatives on the margin, say, if you stay awake for 3 days straight studying...


Credited. Minimum 6 hours sleep and 1-2 hours of relaxation every day is key.


I don't think anyone is saying it is BAD academically to study that much, just that it is unnecessary. I very well could be bad from a personal and employment side -- people hire people they want to be around.

Then there is the fact that an A is an A is an A (unless your school has A+s). You could probably spend 1/3 of that time and still earn straight As and probably have more fun.


It all depends about your goals. I mean, if you're going into a type of practice which relies heavily on torts - don't you think you should try to give the "extra effort"?

Also, that graph gets thrown out the window in most corporations(not sure about law firms). I would have night that go without sleep because something important is due by a certain date.

Edit: I guess this is also a good time to explain the mentality behind this...

You either *do* or *don't*, and if you *don't*... you're worthless to the business.

bigkahuna2020
Posts: 494
Joined: Tue Nov 09, 2010 2:12 am

Re: Big law is ballin', but...

Postby bigkahuna2020 » Sat Nov 20, 2010 6:44 pm

ResolutePear wrote:
It all depends about your goals. I mean, if you're going into a type of practice which relies heavily on torts - don't you think you should try to give the "extra effort"?

Also, that graph gets thrown out the window in most corporations(not sure about law firms). I would have night that go without sleep because something important is due by a certain date.

Edit: I guess this is also a good time to explain the mentality behind this...

You either *do* or *don't*, and if you *don't*... you're worthless to the business.


True in a law firm sense (though I will say I have never seen an associate sit around and wait until X amount of hours are put in, at least not regularly or obviously) but "putting in hours" studying is a laughable concept---it isn't about hours (after a cenrtain point) but quality of studying

User avatar
ResolutePear
Posts: 8614
Joined: Fri Jul 02, 2010 10:07 pm

Re: Big law is ballin', but...

Postby ResolutePear » Sat Nov 20, 2010 6:49 pm

bigkahuna2020 wrote:
ResolutePear wrote:
It all depends about your goals. I mean, if you're going into a type of practice which relies heavily on torts - don't you think you should try to give the "extra effort"?

Also, that graph gets thrown out the window in most corporations(not sure about law firms). I would have night that go without sleep because something important is due by a certain date.

Edit: I guess this is also a good time to explain the mentality behind this...

You either *do* or *don't*, and if you *don't*... you're worthless to the business.


True in a law firm sense (though I will say I have never seen an associate sit around and wait until X amount of hours are put in, at least not regularly or obviously) but "putting in hours" studying is a laughable concept---it isn't about hours (after a cenrtain point) but quality of studying


Is it studying if you're casually just reading your casebook to pass the time?

User avatar
Cosmo Kramer
Posts: 141
Joined: Fri Jun 05, 2009 12:11 am

Re: Big law is ballin', but...

Postby Cosmo Kramer » Sat Nov 20, 2010 6:53 pm

canuck wrote:
Haha it's true give or take a few hours. I included class time. I pretty much am on campus every day from 8:30 am to 11 pm. I go to an insanely competitive and difficult university that is generally known for having a significantly heavier course-load than most. I'm also a little crazy and don't like not getting As.

Edit: those 100 hours definitely includes some wasted time (e.g. right now), but I'm pretty sure it's standard to include wasted time on facebook, etc. in your hours worked per day.


So, what's it like being a 22 year-old virgin?

User avatar
AreJay711
Posts: 3406
Joined: Tue Jul 20, 2010 8:51 pm

Re: Big law is ballin', but...

Postby AreJay711 » Sat Nov 20, 2010 6:56 pm

ResolutePear wrote:
bigkahuna2020 wrote:
ResolutePear wrote:
It all depends about your goals. I mean, if you're going into a type of practice which relies heavily on torts - don't you think you should try to give the "extra effort"?

Also, that graph gets thrown out the window in most corporations(not sure about law firms). I would have night that go without sleep because something important is due by a certain date.

Edit: I guess this is also a good time to explain the mentality behind this...

You either *do* or *don't*, and if you *don't*... you're worthless to the business.


True in a law firm sense (though I will say I have never seen an associate sit around and wait until X amount of hours are put in, at least not regularly or obviously) but "putting in hours" studying is a laughable concept---it isn't about hours (after a cenrtain point) but quality of studying


Is it studying if you're casually just reading your casebook to pass the time?


Well think about it. He is spending 100 hrs a week in class and studying. Assume 15 hrs a week from five three credit classes in class so 85 hrs outside class studying. That's 17 hrs a week per class! You either should be able to get the info in less time than that or, if it takes you that long, you are not studying effectively.

I'm a 0L here but I imagine it would be like working all night for a firm on some project that should have you leaving normal time, every single day... then bragging about how many hours you billed.

User avatar
ResolutePear
Posts: 8614
Joined: Fri Jul 02, 2010 10:07 pm

Re: Big law is ballin', but...

Postby ResolutePear » Sat Nov 20, 2010 6:58 pm

AreJay711 wrote:
ResolutePear wrote:
bigkahuna2020 wrote:
ResolutePear wrote:
It all depends about your goals. I mean, if you're going into a type of practice which relies heavily on torts - don't you think you should try to give the "extra effort"?

Also, that graph gets thrown out the window in most corporations(not sure about law firms). I would have night that go without sleep because something important is due by a certain date.

Edit: I guess this is also a good time to explain the mentality behind this...

You either *do* or *don't*, and if you *don't*... you're worthless to the business.


True in a law firm sense (though I will say I have never seen an associate sit around and wait until X amount of hours are put in, at least not regularly or obviously) but "putting in hours" studying is a laughable concept---it isn't about hours (after a cenrtain point) but quality of studying


Is it studying if you're casually just reading your casebook to pass the time?


Well think about it. He is spending 100 hrs a week in class and studying. Assume 15 hrs a week from five three credit classes in class so 85 hrs outside class studying. That's 17 hrs a week per class! You either should be able to get the info in less time than that or, if it takes you that long, you are not studying effectively.

I'm a 0L here but I imagine it would be like working all night for a firm on some project that should have you leaving normal time, every single day... then bragging about how many hours you billed.


I was actually thinking in a removed context :P

canuck
Posts: 222
Joined: Mon Oct 11, 2010 7:26 pm

Re: Big law is ballin', but...

Postby canuck » Sat Nov 20, 2010 7:23 pm

bigkahuna2020 wrote:
canuck wrote:
Your assumption that an arts major is somehow less intellectually demanding than a science major is, obviously, flawed. Rote learning is hardly that impressive.
Even more flawed is that you would consider knowing "a lot people with high GPAs there" some sort of indication of the difficulty of the university.
Finally, the idea that you don't learn more with more hours is just silly. More hours = more information and more time to analyze issues.

Either way, I really could not care less about you trying to judge me. My hard work has paid off tremendously. You can continue to obsess over it, or you can just move on.


Was this what I said? I said learning is about realization. If you understand the concept 1 hour in, versus taking 9 hours to learn it...you don't magically understand more

Work is about...WORK. As in the more time, the more gets done.

Time is a useless metric when it comes to studying(at least beyong a certain minimal point), it is not when it comes to work. So the hours spent in SCHOOL studying do NOT at all compare to work, so your studying 100 hrs a week (which includes sitting in class, wait until you get a job and then compare it to going to class) DOES NOT EQUATE to 100 hours as an associate

Oh and the fact that you do it as an econ major just makes the contrast that much more stark and morbidly hilarious...especially as studying that long ONLY MAKES SENSE when memorizing discrete facts, not concepts

But good luck in life if you think your 100 hours of aggregate slow moving Arts UG courses that take 20 minutes and 6 powerpoint slides to explain basic quantitative concepts, procrastinating, simple worksheets and easy reading of generally easy to grasp ideas somehow compares to real work.


You, sir, are making yourself out to be an unqualified douchebag. Until I see evidence to the contrary, I am completely uninterested in your opinion.

User avatar
prezidentv8
Posts: 2821
Joined: Mon Dec 29, 2008 5:33 am

Re: Big law is ballin', but...

Postby prezidentv8 » Sat Nov 20, 2010 7:26 pm

bigkahuna2020 wrote:Was this what I said? I said learning is about realization. If you understand the concept 1 hour in, versus taking 9 hours to learn it...you don't magically understand more

Work is about...WORK. As in the more time, the more gets done.


--ImageRemoved--

canuck
Posts: 222
Joined: Mon Oct 11, 2010 7:26 pm

Re: Big law is ballin', but...

Postby canuck » Sat Nov 20, 2010 7:29 pm

AreJay711 wrote:
ResolutePear wrote:
bigkahuna2020 wrote:
ResolutePear wrote:
It all depends about your goals. I mean, if you're going into a type of practice which relies heavily on torts - don't you think you should try to give the "extra effort"?

Also, that graph gets thrown out the window in most corporations(not sure about law firms). I would have night that go without sleep because something important is due by a certain date.

Edit: I guess this is also a good time to explain the mentality behind this...

You either *do* or *don't*, and if you *don't*... you're worthless to the business.


True in a law firm sense (though I will say I have never seen an associate sit around and wait until X amount of hours are put in, at least not regularly or obviously) but "putting in hours" studying is a laughable concept---it isn't about hours (after a cenrtain point) but quality of studying


Is it studying if you're casually just reading your casebook to pass the time?


Well think about it. He is spending 100 hrs a week in class and studying. Assume 15 hrs a week from five three credit classes in class so 85 hrs outside class studying. That's 17 hrs a week per class! You either should be able to get the info in less time than that or, if it takes you that long, you are not studying effectively.

I'm a 0L here but I imagine it would be like working all night for a firm on some project that should have you leaving normal time, every single day... then bragging about how many hours you billed.


I probably spend about 1/4 of that time working on extracurriculars. Perhaps, I am just plain stupid and need to work that hard to get As. Either way, my study habits are completely immaterial here and I'd prefer if we stopped obsessing over them.

User avatar
ResolutePear
Posts: 8614
Joined: Fri Jul 02, 2010 10:07 pm

Re: Big law is ballin', but...

Postby ResolutePear » Sat Nov 20, 2010 7:32 pm

canuck wrote:
AreJay711 wrote:
ResolutePear wrote:
bigkahuna2020 wrote:
True in a law firm sense (though I will say I have never seen an associate sit around and wait until X amount of hours are put in, at least not regularly or obviously) but "putting in hours" studying is a laughable concept---it isn't about hours (after a cenrtain point) but quality of studying


Is it studying if you're casually just reading your casebook to pass the time?


Well think about it. He is spending 100 hrs a week in class and studying. Assume 15 hrs a week from five three credit classes in class so 85 hrs outside class studying. That's 17 hrs a week per class! You either should be able to get the info in less time than that or, if it takes you that long, you are not studying effectively.

I'm a 0L here but I imagine it would be like working all night for a firm on some project that should have you leaving normal time, every single day... then bragging about how many hours you billed.


I probably spend about 1/4 of that time working on extracurriculars. Perhaps, I am just plain stupid and need to work that hard to get As. Either way, my study habits are completely immaterial here and I'd prefer if we stopped obsessing over them.


What are your masturbation habits like?

Personally, I do two 2 long strokes, 3 short strokes, and two forehand slaps.

User avatar
crazycanuck
Posts: 3041
Joined: Wed Feb 18, 2009 4:04 pm

Re: Big law is ballin', but...

Postby crazycanuck » Sat Nov 20, 2010 7:36 pm

ResolutePear wrote:
What are your masturbation habits like?

Personally, I do two 2 long strokes, 3 short strokes, and two forehand slaps.


You should throw a tuck between your legs and squeeze your thighs rotation in.

User avatar
ResolutePear
Posts: 8614
Joined: Fri Jul 02, 2010 10:07 pm

Re: Big law is ballin', but...

Postby ResolutePear » Sat Nov 20, 2010 7:41 pm

crazycanuck wrote:
ResolutePear wrote:
What are your masturbation habits like?

Personally, I do two 2 long strokes, 3 short strokes, and two forehand slaps.


You should throw a tuck between your legs and squeeze your thighs rotation in.


Doesn't sound too pleasurable, but hey, I'm up to try it since it sounds like you speak from experience.

bigkahuna2020
Posts: 494
Joined: Tue Nov 09, 2010 2:12 am

Re: Big law is ballin', but...

Postby bigkahuna2020 » Sat Nov 20, 2010 8:36 pm

ResolutePear wrote:
bigkahuna2020 wrote:
ResolutePear wrote:
It all depends about your goals. I mean, if you're going into a type of practice which relies heavily on torts - don't you think you should try to give the "extra effort"?

Also, that graph gets thrown out the window in most corporations(not sure about law firms). I would have night that go without sleep because something important is due by a certain date.

Edit: I guess this is also a good time to explain the mentality behind this...

You either *do* or *don't*, and if you *don't*... you're worthless to the business.


True in a law firm sense (though I will say I have never seen an associate sit around and wait until X amount of hours are put in, at least not regularly or obviously) but "putting in hours" studying is a laughable concept---it isn't about hours (after a cenrtain point) but quality of studying


Is it studyingOCD if you're casually just reading your casebook to pass the time?

User avatar
crazycanuck
Posts: 3041
Joined: Wed Feb 18, 2009 4:04 pm

Re: Big law is ballin', but...

Postby crazycanuck » Sat Nov 20, 2010 10:18 pm

ResolutePear wrote:
crazycanuck wrote:
ResolutePear wrote:
What are your masturbation habits like?

Personally, I do two 2 long strokes, 3 short strokes, and two forehand slaps.


You should throw a tuck between your legs and squeeze your thighs rotation in.


Doesn't sound too pleasurable, but hey, I'm up to try it since it sounds like you speak from experience.


It will be like nothing you ever experienced.

User avatar
ResolutePear
Posts: 8614
Joined: Fri Jul 02, 2010 10:07 pm

Re: Big law is ballin', but...

Postby ResolutePear » Sat Nov 20, 2010 10:19 pm

crazycanuck wrote:
ResolutePear wrote:
crazycanuck wrote:
ResolutePear wrote:
What are your masturbation habits like?

Personally, I do two 2 long strokes, 3 short strokes, and two forehand slaps.


You should throw a tuck between your legs and squeeze your thighs rotation in.


Doesn't sound too pleasurable, but hey, I'm up to try it since it sounds like you speak from experience.


It will be like nothing you ever experienced.


Nothing like fucking yourself in the ass to end a night.

User avatar
crazycanuck
Posts: 3041
Joined: Wed Feb 18, 2009 4:04 pm

Re: Big law is ballin', but...

Postby crazycanuck » Sat Nov 20, 2010 10:22 pm

canuck wrote:I probably spend about 1/4 of that time working on extracurriculars. Perhaps, I am just plain stupid and need to work that hard to get As. Either way, my study habits are completely immaterial here and I'd prefer if we stopped obsessing over them.


This is what happens when you make outrageous comments like "I study 100 hours per week typically".

User avatar
mrmangs
Posts: 674
Joined: Wed Nov 03, 2010 1:28 pm

Re: Big law is ballin', but...

Postby mrmangs » Sat Nov 20, 2010 10:27 pm

crazycanuck wrote:
canuck wrote:I probably spend about 1/4 of that time working on extracurriculars. Perhaps, I am just plain stupid and need to work that hard to get As. Either way, my study habits are completely immaterial here and I'd prefer if we stopped obsessing over them.


This is what happens when you make outrageous comments like "I study 100 hours per week typically".


100 hrs per week?! You're crazy Canuck! Not the one above me. :lol:

User avatar
ResolutePear
Posts: 8614
Joined: Fri Jul 02, 2010 10:07 pm

Re: Big law is ballin', but...

Postby ResolutePear » Sat Nov 20, 2010 10:32 pm

mrmangs wrote:
crazycanuck wrote:
canuck wrote:I probably spend about 1/4 of that time working on extracurriculars. Perhaps, I am just plain stupid and need to work that hard to get As. Either way, my study habits are completely immaterial here and I'd prefer if we stopped obsessing over them.


This is what happens when you make outrageous comments like "I study 100 hours per week typically".


100 hrs per week?! You're crazy Canuck! Not the one above me. :lol:


Those damn Canadians.. with their flapping heads and beanie eyes....

canuck
Posts: 222
Joined: Mon Oct 11, 2010 7:26 pm

Re: Big law is ballin', but...

Postby canuck » Sat Nov 20, 2010 11:03 pm

I concede. You have all been successful at whatever it is you were aiming for.

User avatar
crazycanuck
Posts: 3041
Joined: Wed Feb 18, 2009 4:04 pm

Re: Big law is ballin', but...

Postby crazycanuck » Sat Nov 20, 2010 11:14 pm

canuck wrote:I concede. You have all been successful at whatever it is you were aiming for.


Rule #1 as a professional: Never admit defeat.

WestOfTheRest
Posts: 1412
Joined: Mon Jul 07, 2008 11:10 pm

Re: Big law is ballin', but...

Postby WestOfTheRest » Sat Nov 20, 2010 11:38 pm

crazycanuck wrote:
canuck wrote:I concede. You have all been successful at whatever it is you were aiming for.


Rule #1 as a professional: Never admit defeat.

Rule #1 as a douchebag: Never layoff, even when a guy has obviously had enough.

User avatar
ResolutePear
Posts: 8614
Joined: Fri Jul 02, 2010 10:07 pm

Re: Big law is ballin', but...

Postby ResolutePear » Sat Nov 20, 2010 11:40 pm

CastleRock wrote:
crazycanuck wrote:
canuck wrote:I concede. You have all been successful at whatever it is you were aiming for.


Rule #1 as a professional: Never admit defeat.

Rule #1 as a douchebag: Never layoff, even when a guy has obviously had enough.

Rule #1 as a pear: make a rule.

User avatar
mrmangs
Posts: 674
Joined: Wed Nov 03, 2010 1:28 pm

Re: Big law is ballin', but...

Postby mrmangs » Sat Nov 20, 2010 11:41 pm

ResolutePear wrote:
CastleRock wrote:
crazycanuck wrote:
canuck wrote:I concede. You have all been successful at whatever it is you were aiming for.


Rule #1 as a professional: Never admit defeat.

Rule #1 as a douchebag: Never layoff, even when a guy has obviously had enough.

Rule #1 as a pear: make a rule.


:lol:

WestOfTheRest
Posts: 1412
Joined: Mon Jul 07, 2008 11:10 pm

Re: Big law is ballin', but...

Postby WestOfTheRest » Sat Nov 20, 2010 11:42 pm

ResolutePear wrote:
CastleRock wrote:
crazycanuck wrote:
canuck wrote:I concede. You have all been successful at whatever it is you were aiming for.


Rule #1 as a professional: Never admit defeat.

Rule #1 as a douchebag: Never layoff, even when a guy has obviously had enough.

Rule #1 as a pear: make a rule.

That rule seems to fulfill it's own requirements, making it self-fulfilling.




Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 10 guests