Big law is ballin', but... Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
plenipotentiary

Silver

Re: Big law is ballin', but...

Post by plenipotentiary » Mon Nov 15, 2010 4:27 pm

whymeohgodno wrote:Attempting to remain anonymous during my (shitty) cycle.
Lady, you need therapy. Every other post you make is about your "really bad softs." Your self-esteem in the toilet. I hope that isn't so evident in your PS.

ResolutePear

Platinum

Post by ResolutePear » Mon Nov 15, 2010 4:29 pm

plenipotentiary wrote:
Lady, you need therapy. Every other post you make is about your "really bad softs." Your self-esteem in the toilet. I hope that isn't so evident in your PS.
Well, from what she posted with her tar, she's not bad looking.

Oban

Silver

Post by Oban » Mon Nov 15, 2010 4:37 pm

ResolutePear wrote:
canuck wrote:
ResolutePear wrote:

You've never worked in a corporate environment, right?

If you can't do 80 hours a week, theres always somebody right under you willing to work 90 hours a week, and for less. This is barring labor unions, of course.
Actually I have. People put in their time, but 90 hours a week is nearly 13 hours a day including weekends. I love money, but I don't care about it this much. Working this much is not physically or emotionally healthy and it will probably eventually lead to worst performance overall. Not to mention, forget about having a family.
Perhaps the mentality changes by industry... but, when establishing a book of business - you can't afford to tell a client: "Hey, I just passed 60 hours - it's going to have to wait till next week."

Personally, I never took the "I work too much" excuse lightly from any of my staff. If they can't handle more work beyond their required production, I won't punish them.. but I'll be damned if I'm going to give them a promotion over somebody who does handle the 80+ hours.

It could be different in a law firm, I personally doubt it.
this mentality is why working in the united states sucks.

whymeohgodno

Gold

Post by whymeohgodno » Mon Nov 15, 2010 4:40 pm

plenipotentiary wrote:
I haven't even posted anything about my softs in weeks. I'm sorry it bothered you so much?

AreJay711

Gold

Post by AreJay711 » Mon Nov 15, 2010 4:45 pm

Oban wrote:
ResolutePear wrote:
canuck wrote:
ResolutePear wrote:

If you can't do 80 hours a week, theres always somebody right under you willing to work 90 hours a week, and for less. This is barring labor unions, of course.
Actually I have. People put in their time, but 90 hours a week is nearly 13 hours a day including weekends. I love money, but I don't care about it this much. Working this much is not physically or emotionally healthy and it will probably eventually lead to worst performance overall. Not to mention, forget about having a family.
Perhaps the mentality changes by industry... but, when establishing a book of business - you can't afford to tell a client: "Hey, I just passed 60 hours - it's going to have to wait till next week."

Personally, I never took the "I work too much" excuse lightly from any of my staff. If they can't handle more work beyond their required production, I won't punish them.. but I'll be damned if I'm going to give them a promotion over somebody who does handle the 80+ hours.

Yea but going above and beyond = promotion in my experience though I loved working off commission... didn't have to wait for promotions to get more $.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

ResolutePear

Platinum

Post by ResolutePear » Mon Nov 15, 2010 4:52 pm

Oban wrote:
ResolutePear wrote:
canuck wrote:
ResolutePear wrote:

Are you seriously complaining about the US?

Stay the fuck away from Asia and everything around it.

floppymex

Bronze

Post by floppymex » Mon Nov 15, 2010 4:56 pm

-
Last edited by floppymex on Tue Sep 29, 2015 12:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ResolutePear

Platinum

Post by ResolutePear » Mon Nov 15, 2010 5:02 pm

floppymex wrote:
ResolutePear wrote:
canuck wrote:
whymeohgodno wrote:

Why do you expect that just because you won't enjoy it nobody else will?
Humans have needs. Relatedness, competence and autonomy are the three core needs. You'll likely be missing out on one of these if your whole life is work. Empirically, people who work this much are, on average, miserable. Not everyone will be and I hope none of you will be...but chances are life is going to suck.
Empirically? I'd really like to see that data... because I've never felt more alive then when I have purpose 24/7. Some downtime is nice, but as long as I'm putting food on the table and providing myself with a comfortable lifestyle, I'd be willing to push 80 hours.

As for *enjoying* the money... there's always downtime for that and there's always a savings account with your name on it(I'd hope).
b/c tomorrow is guaranteed to all of us
Why do anything then? Why go to law school? You just might die 2 days after OCI.

This is horrible hippie mentality - for fucks sake, not even Bear Grylls is dead yet and he's pretty far from an office job.

canuck

Bronze

Post by canuck » Mon Nov 15, 2010 5:16 pm

ResolutePear wrote:[

Why do anything then? Why go to law school? You just might die 2 days after OCI.

This is horrible hippie mentality - for fucks sake, not even Bear Grylls is dead yet and he's pretty far from an office job.
Go to law school and do things because your are intrinsically motivated to do them. Center your life around money and you'll be chronically disappointed with the results.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

patrickd139

Gold

Post by patrickd139 » Mon Nov 15, 2010 5:21 pm

canuck wrote: Go to law school and do things because your are intrinsically motivated to do them. Center your life around money and you'll be chronically disappointed with the results.
:lol: Kids these days...

Canuck: I don't think you're going to mesh well with 99% of TLS. We're here for the biglawls and the models and bottles.

ResolutePear

Platinum

Post by ResolutePear » Mon Nov 15, 2010 5:26 pm

patrickd139 wrote:
canuck wrote: Go to law school and do things because your are intrinsically motivated to do them. Center your life around money and you'll be chronically disappointed with the results.
:lol: Kids these days...

Canuck: I don't think you're going to mesh well with 99% of TLS. We're here for the biglawls and the models and bottles.
Contrary to popular belief - money does bring happiness. Happiness is more than just about servicing yourself. If you have kids and a wife - mostly kids, wouldn't it make you happy that they will grow up in the best possible scenario? Never really having an unfulfilled "want"?

People say it'll lead to spoiled idiots - but I'd wager that if I had been given an economic advantage, I would of never left school in the first place and had at least a +.5 on my GPA. There's always more to "just working"

Sentry

Silver

Post by Sentry » Mon Nov 15, 2010 5:35 pm

ResolutePear wrote:
plenipotentiary wrote:
no joke. That was a self tar? :shock:

ResolutePear

Platinum

Post by ResolutePear » Mon Nov 15, 2010 5:41 pm

Sentry wrote:
ResolutePear wrote:
plenipotentiary wrote:
That's the word!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Sentry

Silver

Post by Sentry » Mon Nov 15, 2010 5:43 pm

ResolutePear wrote:
Sentry wrote:
ResolutePear wrote:
plenipotentiary wrote:
That's the word!
She obviously wouldn't fit in at UChicago.

ResolutePear

Platinum

Post by ResolutePear » Mon Nov 15, 2010 5:48 pm

Sentry wrote:
ResolutePear wrote:
Sentry wrote:
ResolutePear wrote: Well, from what she posted with her tar, she's not bad looking.
That's the word!
She obviously wouldn't fit in at UChicago.
There's just too many ways I could go with this statement. No disrespect intended towards whymeohgodno.

Sentry

Silver

Post by Sentry » Mon Nov 15, 2010 5:52 pm

yeah. no disrespect whymeohgodno.

prezidentv8

Gold

Post by prezidentv8 » Mon Nov 15, 2010 6:09 pm

ResolutePear wrote:because I've never felt more alive then when I have purpose 24/7. Some downtime is nice, but as long as I'm putting food on the table and providing myself with a comfortable lifestyle, I'd be willing to push 80 hours.
I spot a flaw.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

ResolutePear

Platinum

Post by ResolutePear » Mon Nov 15, 2010 6:12 pm

prezidentv8 wrote:
ResolutePear wrote:because I've never felt more alive then when I have purpose 24/7. Some downtime is nice, but as long as I'm putting food on the table and providing myself with a comfortable lifestyle, I'd be willing to push 80 hours.
I spot a flaw.
What's wrong with having purpose?

Some people are fine walking the world not knowing what they'll do tomorrow. I, on the other hand, enjoy structure.

prezidentv8

Gold

Post by prezidentv8 » Mon Nov 15, 2010 6:17 pm

ResolutePear wrote:
prezidentv8 wrote:
I spot a flaw.

Some people are fine walking the world not knowing what they'll do tomorrow. I, on the other hand, enjoy structure.
Oh I'm not disputing that. Purpose is great. I'm just saying that working 80 hour weeks (the hours themselves) in a law firm does not sound like "purpose" to me. And "putting food on the table" by doing so is going to sacrifice some other aspects of your life and your family life, regardless of the money you bring in - find a biglaw partner's kid and talk to them about that one.

Point being, as much as you make a good point, there will be sacrifices involved one way or another.

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Mon Nov 15, 2010 6:25 pm

@AreJay711: Do you really think that the average person is better off now than in the '50s ? Certainly not in the US, maybe elsewhere.

AreJay711

Gold

Post by AreJay711 » Mon Nov 15, 2010 6:26 pm

prezidentv8 wrote:
ResolutePear wrote:
prezidentv8 wrote:
I spot a flaw.

Oh I'm not disputing that. Purpose is great. I'm just saying that working 80 hour weeks (the hours themselves) in a law firm does not sound like "purpose" to me. And "putting food on the table" by doing so is going to sacrifice some other aspects of your life and your family life, regardless of the money you bring in - find a biglaw partner's kid and talk to them about that one.

Point being, as much as you make a good point, there will be sacrifices involved one way or another.
So your kids will hate you... big deal. I barely ever saw my father bc he worked so much and when I did see him more when I got older it was bc he took me to work with him. I hated him for a while but then I grew up and learned to respect him for what he did for our family. I guess some kids don't ever realize that but the way I look at it the goal of parenting is to produce successful adults not happy children.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

ResolutePear

Platinum

Post by ResolutePear » Mon Nov 15, 2010 6:29 pm

AreJay711 wrote:
prezidentv8 wrote:
ResolutePear wrote:
prezidentv8 wrote:
I spot a flaw.

So your kids will hate you... big deal. I barely ever saw my father bc he worked so much and when I did see him more when I got older it was bc he took me to work with him. I hated him for a while but then I grew up and learned to respect him for what he did for our family. I guess some kids don't ever realize that but the way I look at it the goal of parenting is to produce successful adults not happy children.
I agree with the other posts to an extent - but this, *THIS* is the goal. Even if I don't get into Ivy, I'll be damned if my next kids won't. I'll work my keyboard into dust if it'll mean that my kids are twice as successful than I.

AreJay711

Gold

Post by AreJay711 » Mon Nov 15, 2010 6:35 pm

CanadianWolf wrote:@AreJay711: Do you really think that the average person is better off now than in the '50s ? Certainly not in the US, maybe elsewhere.
In money and consumption terms? Absolutely. For example, families in the 50's didn't have cars laying around to give their children -- kids bought junk cars and fixed them up. In my high school and university most students have their own car usually 4-5 years old. Other things are the same way: we generally have more stuff than in the 50's.

As far as happiness goes, I think people in the 50's were happier overall in spite of this because money is not all that matters.

prezidentv8

Gold

Post by prezidentv8 » Mon Nov 15, 2010 6:38 pm

AreJay711 wrote:
prezidentv8 wrote:

That doesn't change what I said. As much as working that much might be for the sake of your family, there will be sacrifices involved, most of which (in my own opinion) would be detrimental to a child, a wife, and you. Now, I can qualify that by saying that I guess that depends on your definition of successful adult and your views on whether the constant absence of a parent would have a likely effect on that outcome, but I think there is something to be said for the presence of a father figure in a household. And as an aside, consider how bad the depression and substance abuse rates are for lawyers and the effects of those sorts of things on a family (i.e., working your way to a divorce is not out of the question).

Now again, you're not wrong, but I feel like presenting a view of professional life that amounts to "work as much as possible" = virtue is oversimplified.

WestOfTheRest

Silver

Post by WestOfTheRest » Mon Nov 15, 2010 6:40 pm

AreJay711 wrote: As far as happiness goes, I think people in the 50's were happier overall in spite of this because money is not all that matters.
In the 50s they were getting much better prescriptions from their doctors. just sayin

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”