Chances at Hofstra? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
boat343

New

Re: Chances at Hofstra?

Post by boat343 » Mon Nov 15, 2010 4:13 pm

reasonable_man wrote:
boat343 wrote:Man, this stuff is gold. You guys really go at it on here.

I have no experience in the matter, but, I would surmise that if you do well at Hofstra, you will be ok. They do have a ridiculously high average starting salary. Obviously, they played with the numbers because we all know it is not par-for-the-course for Hofstra grads to be making a median of 160k. However, some are making that--it's an objective fact. More than likely, the top 10% of the class at Hofstra (or any of the decent New York law schools for that matter) land great jobs. Now, I know you can't just say, "well, I'm gonna be top 10%" due to all the variables and such. But, if you don't make top 10% at Hofstra, you might not have been able to do it anywhere else. In that case, it would be on me and I failed.

Unless I do get a tremendous offer for a great career opportunity, my ultimate goal is to go back into the military in the JAG program. There are loan forgiveness options associated with that. Also, I'm dirt poor so I'm sure I qualify for some kind of grant, as well as having some GI bill left. I believe my debt will be more around 135k. And, it's gonna be that anywhere not named Phoenix College Law.

I don't have great options due to the all-knowing all-wise standardized test of standardized tests, so I'm gonna kinda get what I get. I know it's not optimal, but, I'm not the prodigy that is ever gonna bang-out a 170--or even a 165 for that matter. However, after reading how some people studied for the LSAT I know realize I probbbbaaably could have done a little more... I just took the Kaplan classes, did the homework and called it good.

Thank you all for the insight. This has been really helpful/entertaining.

Umm.. Wow... If you believe that the top 10% of Hofstra gets "great" jobs; you really are kidding yourself... I personally know a good handful of Hofstra Law grads that were in the top 10% and enjoyed an extended period of unemployment following their graduation from good ole Hofstra and then took jobs earning 50 to 70k... That's the top 10%... I'd hate to even guess how the poor slobs at the median faired..

Also, to which LRAP at Hofrsta are you referencing here? Cause I'm pretty sure Hofstra isn't going to help you re-pay any loans, no matter what kind of work you're doing..
Man, nobody is getting jobs. I have friends that graduated from the University of Arizona--a school that always does great regionally--and here we are 6 months after graduation and they are taking unpaid internships just to keep their resume going. I have two friends that went to UCLA. One admits he was pretty damn lucky to get a job and the other is still unemployed. People used to get great summer jobs while they were in law school. Now, people are fighting for unpaid internships over the summer.

It's a terrible economy and not many people are hiring. The only thing we can bank on is that it will bounce back and jobs will open up. And, if it does, even people at Hofstra, Texas Tech, or that Q school in Connecticut will find employment somewhere and in some capacity. And, the debt is sizable, but, in the grand scheme of things, as long as you're not a turd and sit around and pout because you didn't get a "big law" job right out of law school, you will be ok in the long run with a JD. Take a 50-75k year job; bust your tail off and move up.

In the end, the prudent decision is to retake the LSAT, which I more than likely will do. Good advice. I appreciate the time. Definitely some realism I need to consider as I move forward.

HeavenWood

Gold

Post by HeavenWood » Mon Nov 15, 2010 4:15 pm

boat343 wrote:that Q school in Connecticut.
Whenever I hear Quinnipiac, I always think Chappaquiddick.

reasonable_man

Gold

Post by reasonable_man » Mon Nov 15, 2010 4:20 pm

boat343 wrote:
reasonable_man wrote:

I have no experience in the matter, but, I would surmise that if you do well at Hofstra, you will be ok. They do have a ridiculously high average starting salary. Obviously, they played with the numbers because we all know it is not par-for-the-course for Hofstra grads to be making a median of 160k. However, some are making that--it's an objective fact. More than likely, the top 10% of the class at Hofstra (or any of the decent New York law schools for that matter) land great jobs. Now, I know you can't just say, "well, I'm gonna be top 10%" due to all the variables and such. But, if you don't make top 10% at Hofstra, you might not have been able to do it anywhere else. In that case, it would be on me and I failed.

Unless I do get a tremendous offer for a great career opportunity, my ultimate goal is to go back into the military in the JAG program. There are loan forgiveness options associated with that. Also, I'm dirt poor so I'm sure I qualify for some kind of grant, as well as having some GI bill left. I believe my debt will be more around 135k. And, it's gonna be that anywhere not named Phoenix College Law.

I don't have great options due to the all-knowing all-wise standardized test of standardized tests, so I'm gonna kinda get what I get. I know it's not optimal, but, I'm not the prodigy that is ever gonna bang-out a 170--or even a 165 for that matter. However, after reading how some people studied for the LSAT I know realize I probbbbaaably could have done a little more... I just took the Kaplan classes, did the homework and called it good.

Umm.. Wow... If you believe that the top 10% of Hofstra gets "great" jobs; you really are kidding yourself... I personally know a good handful of Hofstra Law grads that were in the top 10% and enjoyed an extended period of unemployment following their graduation from good ole Hofstra and then took jobs earning 50 to 70k... That's the top 10%... I'd hate to even guess how the poor slobs at the median faired..

Also, to which LRAP at Hofrsta are you referencing here? Cause I'm pretty sure Hofstra isn't going to help you re-pay any loans, no matter what kind of work you're doing..
Man, nobody is getting jobs. I have friends that graduated from the University of Arizona--a school that always does great regionally--and here we are 6 months after graduation and they are taking unpaid internships just to keep their resume going. I have two friends that went to UCLA. One admits he was pretty damn lucky to get a job and the other is still unemployed. People used to get great summer jobs while they were in law school. Now, people are fighting for unpaid internships over the summer.

It's a terrible economy and not many people are hiring. The only thing we can bank on is that it will bounce back and jobs will open up. And, if it does, even people at Hofstra, Texas Tech, or that Q school in Connecticut will find employment somewhere and in some capacity. And, the debt is sizable, but, in the grand scheme of things, as long as you're not a turd and sit around and pout because you didn't get a "big law" job right out of law school, you will be ok in the long run with a JD. Take a 50-75k year job; bust your tail off and move up.

In the end, the prudent decision is to retake the LSAT, which I more than likely will do. Good advice. I appreciate the time. Definitely some realism I need to consider as I move forward.

I was referencing pre-downturn graduated FWIW.

Ragged

Silver

Post by Ragged » Mon Nov 15, 2010 4:25 pm

HeavenWood wrote:
reasonable_man wrote:
HeavenWood wrote:
reasonable_man wrote:I have to be honest... As a practicing lawyer in NY, I regard Hofstra as the very worst law school in the region.. Well below Touro and Pace. Its just an awful law school. I beg you, rethink your choice.
I knew Hofstra was a bad choice, but I didn't know its lay prestige was that low.
You're a quick one aint ya?
Why the attitude? I'm surprised to hear that Hofstra, a TT school is considered in a worse light than Pace and Touro.
reasonable_man wrote:
Well lets see... My post says... As a lawyer, I regard Hofstra as one of the worst schools in the region and you respond by saying that you were surprised that the school has such poor lay prestige... So what exactly makes my opinion equal to that of a lay person?

I know this was a page back but the above exchange just sounded like such a great LSAT LR question with the last post being the answer.

HeavenWood

Gold

Post by HeavenWood » Mon Nov 15, 2010 4:27 pm

Ragged wrote: I know this was a page back but the above exchange just sounded like such a great LSAT LR question with the last post being the answer.
Ouch... but I suppose that's what I get for posting on TLS late at night after hours of brain draining work.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

boat343

New

Post by boat343 » Mon Nov 15, 2010 4:33 pm

beachbum wrote:

Yikes. Good luck with that.

Edit for clarification:

The chances of you getting a good job out of Hofstra are minimal. The chances of you getting a job that can justify $135k in debt are small enough to not even merit discussion. You're likely going to need better than top 10% ITE, though assuming top grades is, as you know (or don't know?), a bad decision. You're almost definitely not going to get JAG (which is very selective) out of Hofstra. And yes, a $160k median reported salary is laughable and, in almost all respects, a complete fabrication.

$135k in nondischargeable debt for a Hofstra JD is probably going to be the single worst financial decision of your foreseeable future. And combine that with the fact that you (admittedly) didn't study enough for the LSAT, and all signs point to you making a gigantic mistake. So uh... Yikes. Good luck with that.
I can agree with you mostly. Except for the fact that I wont get into JAG. I can go to Tulsa and more than likely have a better shot at the Navy/Marine Corps JAG than the 24 year-old Harvard grad will. As you know (or don't know?) the military doesn't care that you are the best standardized test taker in the world (which ultimately boils down to where you go). Most smug little smart a^& know-it-alls--which are roughly 85% of law school kids--are gonna have a hard time when they are briefing SEAL teams in Afghanistan on rules of engagement in the same tone they are giving people advice on this board. Honestly, I would pay good money to see Harvard mouth get told where it's at by an enlisted guy.

I am a two-time combat veteran with the Marine Corps. If I go to law school (most any law school), and perform well and participate in all the extra curricular activities, The Navy/Marine Corps team would have no problem welcoming me back with open arms. You guys know more about this law school stuff than me. I know way more about military than you. You shouldn't speak with such a matter-of-fact tone on things you probably really know very little about. Yikes... good luck on correcting that issue.

lawschoollll

Bronze

Post by lawschoollll » Mon Nov 15, 2010 4:33 pm

beachbum wrote:

Edit for clarification:

The chances of you getting a good job out of Hofstra are minimal. The chances of you getting a job that can justify $135k in debt are small enough to not even merit discussion. You're likely going to need better than top 10% ITE, though assuming top grades is, as you know (or don't know?), a bad decision. You're almost definitely not going to get JAG (which is very selective) out of Hofstra. And yes, a $160k median reported salary is laughable and, in almost all respects, a complete fabrication.

$135k in nondischargeable debt for a Hofstra JD is probably going to be the single worst financial decision of your foreseeable future. And combine that with the fact that you (admittedly) didn't study enough for the LSAT, and all signs point to you making a gigantic mistake. So uh... Yikes. Good luck with that.
entirely credited

whymeohgodno

Gold

Post by whymeohgodno » Mon Nov 15, 2010 4:38 pm

boat343 wrote:
beachbum wrote:

Edit for clarification:

I can agree with you mostly. Except for the fact that I wont get into JAG. I can go to Tulsa and more than likely have a better shot at the Navy/Marine Corps JAG than the 24 year-old Harvard grad will. As you know (or don't know?) the military doesn't care that you are the best standardized test taker in the world (which ultimately boils down to where you go). Most smug little smart a^& know-it-alls--which are roughly 85% of law school kids--are gonna have a hard time when they are briefing SEAL teams in Afghanistan on rules of engagement in the same tone they are giving people advice on this board. Honestly, I would pay good money to see Harvard mouth get told where it's at by an enlisted guy.

I am a two-time combat veteran with the Marine Corps. If I go to law school (most any law school), and perform well and participate in all the extra curricular activities, The Navy/Marine Corps team would have no problem welcoming me back with open arms. You guys know more about this law school stuff than me. I know way more about military than you. You shouldn't speak with such a matter-of-fact tone on things you probably really know very little about. Yikes... good luck on correcting that issue.
Big if. LSAT is the best indicator of 1L success.

lawschoollll

Bronze

Post by lawschoollll » Mon Nov 15, 2010 4:39 pm

boat343 wrote:
beachbum wrote:

Edit for clarification:

You seem like a good dude, dude. Is there any way you can stay in the military in some capacity (without LS)? To be honest, I envy your background, and I am looking at T6 law schools. If I were you, I would try to parlay your experience into a gig with the govt. or military - you'll probably be in the same position as you would when you graduated from a place like Hofstra, without flushing $130k and 3 years down the drain. The law is a horrible field in a lot of ways, the worst of which is the cost of entry.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Aqualibrium

Gold

Post by Aqualibrium » Mon Nov 15, 2010 4:53 pm

The idea that he has no shot at JAG is rather stupid though. Even from a non-military background. I know people who had below median grades at low t1L's who got super competitive JAG 1L summer positions. JAG doesn't care as much about prestige as private employers.

boat343

New

Post by boat343 » Mon Nov 15, 2010 4:56 pm

lawschoollll wrote:
boat343 wrote:
beachbum wrote:

Edit for clarification:

You seem like a good dude, dude. Is there any way you can stay in the military in some capacity (without LS)? To be honest, I envy your background, and I am looking at T6 law schools. If I were you, I would try to parlay your experience into a gig with the govt. or military - you'll probably be in the same position as you would when you graduated from a place like Hofstra, without flushing $130k and 3 years down the drain. The law is a horrible field in a lot of ways, the worst of which is the cost of entry.
Yea, I may do contract work over there. Problem is, it's very dangerous. With the military, we can always call for air support, artillery, etc. You don't have those ancillary services to bail you out with Triple Canopy, Blackwater, etc. I will start looking more govt. work and am still flirting with the idea of going back in as an officer. However, I really would like to give law school a go. I will probably retake the LSAT with a little better prep. If I do poorly, I may move on.

lawschoollll

Bronze

Post by lawschoollll » Mon Nov 15, 2010 5:05 pm

boat343 wrote: Yea, I may do contract work over there. Problem is, it's very dangerous. With the military, we can always call for air support, artillery, etc. You don't have those ancillary services to bail you out with Triple Canopy, Blackwater, etc. I will start looking more govt. work and am still flirting with the idea of going back in as an officer. However, I really would like to give law school a go. I will probably retake the LSAT with a little better prep. If I do poorly, I may move on.
I mean yea, contract work sounds vicious, but as a former USMC guy I bet you could get something in the U.S. that's more behind the scenes. No?

Definitely retake, but honestly, with your good experience, you can make a better career for yourself without LS. Like I said, I am shooting for T6 schools for next year, but only because I have a worthless UG major. I apply to jobs literally every day, and if I get one between now and next fall, I will turn down NYU/Chicago (if I get into one) without even giving it a second thought. Seriously man, even the best-case scenario is landing a "prestigious" 6-figure job which is mind-numbingly boring and soulless. But it's the only way to pay off your debt. And of course, you don't have a chance at one of these jobs coming from a place like Hofstra.

boat343

New

Post by boat343 » Mon Nov 15, 2010 6:57 pm

lawschoollll wrote:
boat343 wrote: Yea, I may do contract work over there. Problem is, it's very dangerous. With the military, we can always call for air support, artillery, etc. You don't have those ancillary services to bail you out with Triple Canopy, Blackwater, etc. I will start looking more govt. work and am still flirting with the idea of going back in as an officer. However, I really would like to give law school a go. I will probably retake the LSAT with a little better prep. If I do poorly, I may move on.
I mean yea, contract work sounds vicious, but as a former USMC guy I bet you could get something in the U.S. that's more behind the scenes. No?

Definitely retake, but honestly, with your good experience, you can make a better career for yourself without LS. Like I said, I am shooting for T6 schools for next year, but only because I have a worthless UG major. I apply to jobs literally every day, and if I get one between now and next fall, I will turn down NYU/Chicago (if I get into one) without even giving it a second thought. Seriously man, even the best-case scenario is landing a "prestigious" 6-figure job which is mind-numbingly boring and soulless. But it's the only way to pay off your debt. And of course, you don't have a chance at one of these jobs coming from a place like Hofstra.
Man, you should really go to a T-6 if you can. You don't have to do mind-numbing, soulless work. Especially from one of those schools, you might actually put your self in a position to make a legitimate difference. You got options coming from there. Also, a JD is so dynamic. You might not even do anything in law. You might decide to go into business; or, you might even end up running your own firm someday. Or, maybe you want to go into JAG. I'm here to tell you, probably one of the more interesting/exciting ways to go in law.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

whymeohgodno

Gold

Post by whymeohgodno » Mon Nov 15, 2010 6:58 pm

boat343 wrote:
lawschoollll wrote:

Man, you should really go to a T-6 if you can. You don't have to do mind-numbing, soulless work. Especially from one of those schools, you might actually put your self in a position to make a legitimate difference. You got options coming from there. Also, a JD is so dynamic. You might not even do anything in law. You might decide to go into business; or, you might even end up running your own firm someday. Or, maybe you want to go into JAG. I'm here to tell you, probably one of the more interesting/exciting ways to go in law.
A JD might be dynamic but a JD with 150k in debt is not.

beachbum

Gold

Post by beachbum » Mon Nov 15, 2010 7:23 pm

boat343 wrote:
beachbum wrote:

Edit for clarification:

Right on, man. I can see you've made up your mind. Just remember that student loan debt is tough to discharge through bankruptcy. Enjoy Hofstra.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”