Associates+Master's in Comp. Sci and chances for IP Law

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )

Associates+Master's in Comp. Sci and chances for IP Law

Postby kltar » Sun Nov 14, 2010 10:35 pm

Hi Everyone,

I'm seriously considering pursuing IP Law, specifically Patent Law. I realize that in order to sit for the Patent Bar Exam one is required to have a bachelor's in a hard science, or the equivalent in work experience, with the exception of computer science (which depending on the courses taken, would involved what some may consider hard science). I have a few concerns and questions that I'm hoping anyone/someone could shed some light on to help me prepare for a return to school.

First, I have an Bachelor's in Fine Arts, so in order to get a Comp. Sci degree, I 'd have to go back to get a second bachelor's. Is it worth it to get a second bachelor's degree in order to pursue IP Law, or can I still do it by getting an Associate's in Comp. Sci and combine that with a Master's in Comp. Sci?

Second, if I chose that latter option, would that hurt my chances of getting into a top tier law school or even worse, getting a job when I am done with school? I am only considering the latter option because I have read that it would be more time and cost efficient to get an associate's degree or even go straight into a master's program if you already have a bachelor's degree, especially if you're trying to break into a new profession.

And lastly, what are the job prospects for someone with a Computer Science degree being in demand as an IP Attorney? I've read mixed reviews on the prospects of this speciality on other forums, please advise.

Thanks in advance,

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”