Too nervous to click "submit"?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
gin

Too nervous to click "submit"?

Postby gin » Sun Nov 14, 2010 9:43 pm

So I have everything ready to be sent but as a testament to my paranoia I'm too afraid to actually submit them, so I'm just procrastinating looking for something I may have overlooked. I'm pretty sure that once I send them, I'm going to find some massive mistake that will destroy my already low chances of going to one of my top schools. So I figure that if I keep looking on TLS and ready my PS for the 100th time I will find that one weakness

I'm pretty sure I'm not the only obsessive, paranoid person like that, right?
so, if you want to post your insecurities here and hopefully someone will convince you to just send it (and hopefully you won't find that weakness, which you know is there and is just hiding until you send them out)

thecilent

Re: Too nervous to click "submit"?

Postby thecilent » Sun Nov 14, 2010 9:45 pm

Stop stressing so much. It's just applications.

James Bond

Postby James Bond » Sun Nov 14, 2010 9:47 pm

I think you need help

gin

Postby gin » Sun Nov 14, 2010 9:53 pm

psychological help? I would agree

ahduth

Postby ahduth » Sun Nov 14, 2010 10:18 pm

I think he meant:

MrKappus

Postby MrKappus » Sun Nov 14, 2010 10:19 pm

Are you aware you're about to enter a profession in which every single thing you sign and file has the potential to send you to jail or face thousands of dollars in damages?

ahduth

Postby ahduth » Sun Nov 14, 2010 10:22 pm

MrKappus wrote:Are you aware you're about to enter a profession in which every single thing you sign and file has the potential to send you to jail or face thousands of dollars in damages?

Are you saying I might be on the hook for the Four Loko thing?

I take it back, I take it all back.

arism87

Postby arism87 » Sun Nov 14, 2010 10:24 pm

Y'all aren't nice :( Let the poor guy/girl vent, that's what TLS is for. Sheesh.

OP, you'll make mistakes. Get some other people to read it over. If they don't find them, hopefully adcomms won't either. PM it to me if you want.

The first submit IS stressful. (Hoping this is your first, anyway..)

Good luck!

MrKappus

Postby MrKappus » Sun Nov 14, 2010 10:24 pm

ahduth wrote:
MrKappus wrote:Are you aware you're about to enter a profession in which every single thing you sign and file has the potential to send you to jail or face thousands of dollars in damages?

Haha no I was just ungrammatically explaining to OP that if he/she's paralyzed w/ fear at turning in a law school application, there might be bigger problems on the horizon.

CaliMizzou

Postby CaliMizzou » Sun Nov 14, 2010 10:33 pm

Have someone you trust do a final edit for grammatical and spelling errors and then click submit. It's like ripping off a band-aid, really only one way to do it...

ahduth

Postby ahduth » Sun Nov 14, 2010 10:34 pm

MrKappus wrote:
ahduth wrote:

Haha no I was just ungrammatically explaining to OP that if he/she's paralyzed w/ fear at turning in a law school application, there might be bigger problems on the horizon.

We were given Four Loko for a reason.

And now that they've figured out powerful it makes us, they're taking it away.

On a more serious note - OP, you realize this why people keep bourbon in their desks right? Liquid courage is useful in many contexts.

Arbiter213

Postby Arbiter213 » Sun Nov 14, 2010 10:35 pm

I went from first draft to final in 24 hours. Just have others read it if you're nervous. My suggestion: have someone close to you read it out loud to you. You'll know what they should be saying, but will notice if it doesn't sound right/ the flow is bad/ the punctuation is off, etc.

gin

Postby gin » Sun Nov 14, 2010 11:17 pm

You have to realize I'm the guy who goes back 4 or 5 times to make sure he really locked the door.
A lot of that was meant as a jock (making fun of my neuroticism) and for a way for people that were feeling like me to vent a little

ahduth

Postby ahduth » Sun Nov 14, 2010 11:20 pm

gin wrote:You have to realize I'm the guy who goes back 4 or 5 times to make sure he really locked the door.
A lot of that was meant as a jock (making fun of my neuroticism) and for a way for people that were feeling like me to vent a little

What I realize is that your handle is "gin," yet you have not found the obvious answer for your problem. A martini would go a long way towards smoothing the application process out for you...

bostonian

Postby bostonian » Sun Nov 14, 2010 11:24 pm

gin wrote:So I have everything ready to be sent but as a testament to my paranoia I'm too afraid to actually submit them, so I'm just procrastinating looking for something I may have overlooked. I'm pretty sure that once I send them, I'm going to find some massive mistake that will destroy my already low chances of going to one of my top schools. So I figure that if I keep looking on TLS and ready my PS for the 100th time I will find that one weakness

I'm pretty sure I'm not the only obsessive, paranoid person like that, right?
so, if you want to post your insecurities here and hopefully someone will convince you to just send it (and hopefully you won't find that weakness, which you know is there and is just hiding until you send them out)

I did the same thing. I found out that after I sent it though, I stopped stressing about it since it was done.

Postby 2014 » Sun Nov 14, 2010 11:35 pm

OP: Every second/minute/hour/day/week that you put off hitting submit is time that as many as hundreds of applicants are pulling the trigger and getting in line ahead of you, potentially costing you a spot at a school you wanted to attend.

HowdyYall

Postby HowdyYall » Sun Nov 14, 2010 11:40 pm

2014 wrote:OP: Every second/minute/hour/day/week that you put off hitting submit is time that as many as hundreds of applicants are pulling the trigger and getting in line ahead of you, potentially costing you a spot at a school you wanted to attend.

thats why i didnt waste time with this Personal statement nonsense and submitted September 1. They should be able to get a sense of me from my LSAT and GPA

thecilent

Postby thecilent » Mon Nov 15, 2010 12:01 am

ahduth wrote:

lulzz

YCrevolution

Postby YCrevolution » Mon Nov 15, 2010 12:09 am

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”