Need some honest advice...

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
netzer0

Need some honest advice...

Postby netzer0 » Sun Nov 14, 2010 2:45 pm

Seriously considering a career change, and would appreciate advice on how this would be viewed on an application:

I basically did not attend/pay attention my first 2.5yrs of undergrad, as I was working through this time. I last attended in '05 and left with a 2.3 GPA with 81hrs.

Since leaving, I have been working full time at a fortune 50 company managing over 150 people and earning a 6 figure income. I am at the point where I want to go back, finish my undergrad and pursue law as I had always intended to do before my college part time job took over my life.

I always did very well in school when I paid attention (graduated HS with a 4.0). I took a practice LSAT out of the blue last week and scored a 162 with no prep and having not taken a test in 5 years, so I know I can improve that dramatically for the real thing (probably 170+).

So here's my question... how would this situation look for being accepted at a decent law school? I believe I would end up with around 170 LSAT and a 2.9 LSAC GPA. Obviously I would be a splitter, but with great work experience.

Shoot me straight, this isn't about the money for me, it's about getting back on track and doing what I WANT to do rather than just following the money at my current company.

Thank you!

Dustin.

Re: Need some honest advice...

Postby Dustin. » Sun Nov 14, 2010 2:55 pm

First of all, you might want to strongly reconsider leaving a stable, well-paying job for law school considering the terrible shape of the legal market.

That being said, your work experience does help, but the GPA will still keep you out of a lot of schools.

If you can indeed score 170+ on the LSAT, you should look into either Northwestern ED or UVA ED.

Good luck.

beachbum

Postby beachbum » Sun Nov 14, 2010 3:02 pm

Dustin. wrote:First of all, you might want to strongly reconsider leaving a stable, well-paying job for law school considering the terrible shape of the legal market.

That being said, your work experience does help, but the GPA will still keep you out of a lot of schools.

If you can indeed score 170+ on the LSAT, you should look into either Northwestern ED or UVA ED.

Good luck.

+1 to everything, particularly the first line. Consider what you're leaving behind in exchange for huge tuition payments and a 50/50 shot at Biglaw (assuming you hit 170+ and get accepted to UVA/NU ED).

ahduth

Postby ahduth » Sun Nov 14, 2010 3:11 pm

How much money do you have saved up? You sound like you're doing alright, although you'll have to pay for undergrad too here. Like the beach bum says, debt is a bitch, although I'd have to say your shot a big law is actually pretty good with that type of work experience. And there again, you're saying it's not about the money, so if you're looking to do PI, maybe LRAP and such can help you out.

Your situation is odd, you're obviously not one of these one track drones that are just going through the motions to get their big law jobs so they can go through more motions. The fact that you didn't graduate from college, then turned around and became very successful, is a pretty compelling story. Some schools, probably a bunch in the T14 will immediately throw out your application based on the GPA. Maybe try to get a 175 just to ensure you get a solid look. :wink:

straxen

Postby straxen » Sun Nov 14, 2010 3:27 pm

My 2 cents...

1) As said before, seriously reconsider leaving a good job.

2) If you really really really want to go to law school, get a 170+ on the LSAT (preferably 172+, definitely possible with a 162 cold) before doing anything else, then go back to school, kick ass, and apply to NU.

whymeohgodno

Postby whymeohgodno » Sun Nov 14, 2010 3:39 pm

You have a 6 figure job and your thinking about law school in this economy with a horrid GPA?

Uh...

Wannabelawyer101

Postby Wannabelawyer101 » Sun Nov 14, 2010 4:04 pm

whymeohgodno wrote:You have a 6 figure job and your thinking about law school in this economy with a horrid GPA?

Uh...

I think it's refreshing to see someone make a career choice based on something besides money.

That said, seriously think about what you're doing. The legal market stinks.

netzer0

Postby netzer0 » Sun Nov 14, 2010 6:35 pm

ahduth wrote:How much money do you have saved up? You sound like you're doing alright, although you'll have to pay for undergrad too here. Like the beach bum says, debt is a bitch, although I'd have to say your shot a big law is actually pretty good with that type of work experience. And there again, you're saying it's not about the money, so if you're looking to do PI, maybe LRAP and such can help you out.

I have a pretty comfortable savings in cash plus more I can access if needed (plus currently debt free). Without getting some $$ from wherever I end up I have no illusions of graduating without student loans. My wife also works and does well.

My biggest fear is that my application won't get looked at due to my low GPA, which it sounds like will happen some places but not at others. I would just hate to get thrown out because a school doesn't want to pollute their GPA range with one in the 2.xx range. Especially since I have so much experience in business and leadership.

northwood

Postby northwood » Sun Nov 14, 2010 6:38 pm

if you really want to go to law school, then go back to school, get your gpa up, and study hard for the lsat.

if you really hate your job, get your resume out, and start your job search immediately

i honestly think you need to step back and spend some time thinking about what you really want and focusing on the right path to get it. Talk to your wife, your family, and spend some time weighing the pros and cons for every option. Once youve done that, then make a plan and attack it

The Gentleman

Postby The Gentleman » Sun Nov 14, 2010 6:45 pm

If you break 170, then an ED to Northwestern is certainly in the cards.

shoop

Postby shoop » Sun Nov 14, 2010 8:25 pm

straxen wrote:My 2 cents...

1) As said before, seriously reconsider leaving a good job.

2) If you really really really want to go to law school, get a 170+ on the LSAT (preferably 172+, definitely possible with a 162 cold) before doing anything else, then go back to school, kick ass, and apply to NU.

I like this advice, especially point 2. If you can blow the LSAT out of the water, then start thinking about finishing that UG.

If you do finish UG, consider spending longer back-in-school than you technically need in order to finish the degree. Staying in UG longer than necessary usually seems like a bad idea for people who are doing their degree in one shot, but for you, spending 3 years instead of 2 to finish up would not only give you more chances to get A's and edge that GPA upward, but also give you a chance to demonstrate academic endurance and the ability to tackle increasingly demanding coursework.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”