defer law school for a year

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
getemgoon

defer law school for a year

Postby getemgoon » Sun Nov 14, 2010 1:43 am

If I am accepted this cycle to a law school, but I want to defer for a year b/c of money issues, will schools honor this? Is it only in some cases that schools will honor this?

Anyone else defer before? Also, if I am defered, does this guarantee a spot for me in next year's pool?

Thanks.

clintonius

Re: defer law school for a year

Postby clintonius » Sun Nov 14, 2010 1:59 am

No idea about the likelihood of a school accepting your deferral, but if they do accept, you are guaranteed a spot in the next year's class.

Postby 09042014 » Sun Nov 14, 2010 2:07 am

Wait and apply next September. Your cycle will go better anyway.

whymeohgodno

Postby whymeohgodno » Sun Nov 14, 2010 2:11 am

Desert Fox wrote:Wait and apply next September. Your cycle will go better anyway.

Unless schools start raising medians again.

floppymex

Postby floppymex » Sun Nov 14, 2010 2:18 am

-
Last edited by floppymex on Tue Sep 29, 2015 1:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

whymeohgodno

Postby whymeohgodno » Sun Nov 14, 2010 2:27 am

floppymex wrote:
whymeohgodno wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:Wait and apply next September. Your cycle will go better anyway.

Unless schools start raising medians again.

I think Desert is accounting for this: apps and LSAT takers are down in numbers this year and the trend is expected to carry to next year.

Are apps down? I know LSAT takers are down but that might not necessarily correlate perfectly with applications?

Postby 09042014 » Sun Nov 14, 2010 2:33 am

Moving LSAT medians is hard. LSAT percentiles are like a pyramid. Each level is smaller than the one below. Boalt, Cornell and Michigan are really the only T14 that could jump their LSAT medians without a huge change in admissions policy. And Cornell just moved theirs so it might take a while to make another jump. Boalt seemingly has no interest in it.

Michigan would be the only one I'd worry about. They got to be within striking distance. Their location holds them back, but it can't hurt them that much if UVA can get to 170.

whymeohgodno

Postby whymeohgodno » Sun Nov 14, 2010 2:52 am

Desert Fox wrote:Moving LSAT medians is hard. LSAT percentiles are like a pyramid. Each level is smaller than the one below. Boalt, Cornell and Michigan are really the only T14 that could jump their LSAT medians without a huge change in admissions policy. And Cornell just moved theirs so it might take a while to make another jump. Boalt seemingly has no interest in it.

Michigan would be the only one I'd worry about. They got to be within striking distance. Their location holds them back, but it can't hurt them that much if UVA can get to 170.

I would like to believe this but hasn't Vandy jumped their median almost every year for the last 5 years?

Postby 2014 » Sun Nov 14, 2010 4:27 pm

whymeohgodno wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:Moving LSAT medians is hard. LSAT percentiles are like a pyramid. Each level is smaller than the one below. Boalt, Cornell and Michigan are really the only T14 that could jump their LSAT medians without a huge change in admissions policy. And Cornell just moved theirs so it might take a while to make another jump. Boalt seemingly has no interest in it.

I would like to believe this but hasn't Vandy jumped their median almost every year for the last 5 years?

It has to stop at some point though. There are only so many 170+'s to go around, and most of them are attending higher ranked schools than Vandy. Without changing their admissions policy as DF pointed out, namely offering more $$$, they are going to have a harder and harder time raising it.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”