Applications that ask what other schools you are applying to

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
eve2490

Applications that ask what other schools you are applying to

Postby eve2490 » Sat Nov 13, 2010 10:14 pm

Last edited by eve2490 on Sat Oct 22, 2011 7:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

tk4386

Re: Applications that ask what other schools you are applying to

Postby tk4386 » Sat Nov 13, 2010 10:39 pm

List peer schools (closest in terms of rankings to the one to which you are applying).

You can potentially breed competition by doing so.

JazzOne

Postby JazzOne » Sat Nov 13, 2010 10:42 pm

I would just answer the question honestly. You'll need to get used to answering tough questions with candor as an attorney.

eve2490

Postby eve2490 » Sat Nov 13, 2010 10:48 pm

Last edited by eve2490 on Sat Oct 22, 2011 7:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

fastforward

Postby fastforward » Sat Nov 13, 2010 10:51 pm

JazzOne wrote:I would just answer the question honestly. You'll need to get used to answering tough questions with candor as an attorney.

^This

JazzOne

Postby JazzOne » Sat Nov 13, 2010 10:52 pm

eve2490 wrote:tk-Thank you!
Jazz-I understand what you are saying, yet I still won't have enough space to list them all and I don't want to pick and choose randomly.

I might try to abbreviate in order to include as many as possible. Just saying, it's a bad habit. AMA Model Rules require attorneys to represent themselves honestly, and specifically, the Model Rules forbid omissions of information when it is clear to you that your answer creates a misunderstanding. Perhaps you could add as disclaimer such as, "among others...." lol
Last edited by JazzOne on Sun Nov 14, 2010 12:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Spykuh

Postby Spykuh » Sat Nov 13, 2010 10:56 pm

i also think that in addition to peer schools, list the ones in the same region to show you are serious about being there.

gin

Postby gin » Sun Nov 14, 2010 3:15 am

Spykuh wrote:i also think that in addition to peer schools, list the ones in the same region to show you are serious about being there.

+1
JazzOne wrote:
Jazz-I understand what you are saying, yet I still won't have enough space to list them all and I don't want to pick and choose randomly.

I might try to abbreviate in order to include as many as possible. Just saying, it's a bad habit. AMA Model Rules require attorneys to represent themselves honestly, and specifically they forbid omissions of information when it is clear to you that your answer creates a misunderstanding. Perhaps you could add as disclaimer such as, "among others...." lol

They only give you a set number of places so we won't be able to list a number of schools. Since this is the case, it doesn't hurt to to be a little strategic about it

JJDancer

Postby JJDancer » Sun Nov 14, 2010 3:36 am

It depends on how its worded. If it asks "list all law schools which you have applied to and intend to apply to " then you can probably get away with just listing the ones you have already submitted and whichever "intend to apply" you can fit (list peer schools and regional ones first).
Because honestly, do you know exactly which ones you will apply to for sure ? Probably not. So hope that helps.

Also sometimes this question is OPTIONAL.

ahduth

Postby ahduth » Sun Nov 14, 2010 9:07 am

Call them and say, "I'm applying to 30 schools. Should I attach a file listing them all?" Like JJdancer says, just answer the question. If they really want all 30, let them have fun reading the list.

JusticeHarlan

Postby JusticeHarlan » Sun Nov 14, 2010 10:15 am

JazzOne wrote:

I might try to abbreviate in order to include as many as possible. Just saying, it's a bad habit. AMA Model Rules require attorneys to represent themselves honestly, and specifically they forbid omissions of information when it is clear to you that your answer creates a misunderstanding. Perhaps you could add as disclaimer such as, "among others...." lol

I'm with Jazz. For the one school I applied to that asked this, I typed up all the schools I applied to in a word doc and attached it to the app, and said "see attached list" on the app itself. Honesty is key here.

Did it hurt my app with that school? Hard to tell. I was waitlisted with median LSAT and 25th GPA, applying in late December. I think that result would have been about expected, all things considered.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”