Why X essays Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
birdlaw117

Gold

Why X essays

Post by birdlaw117 » Sat Nov 13, 2010 6:51 pm

So I'm planning on writing Why X? essays for Michigan, Virginia, Penn and Duke. My question basically comes down to whether not having great/interesting/unique reasons to include in this essay would actually hurt me. I have really good things for Michigan, but my reasons are less compelling for the other three. Should I just scrap the why x essays, or just write semi-interesting ones?

cortnf

Bronze

Re: Why X essays

Post by cortnf » Sat Nov 13, 2010 9:48 pm

birdlaw117 wrote:So I'm planning on writing Why X? essays for Michigan, Virginia, Penn and Duke. My question basically comes down to whether not having great/interesting/unique reasons to include in this essay would actually hurt me. I have really good things for Michigan, but my reasons are less compelling for the other three. Should I just scrap the why x essays, or just write semi-interesting ones?
I wrote a long response to this but it didn't post for some reason. My idea is that if my only reason for applying to a certain school is "um, it's a good school and I have a shot at getting in, that's why I'm applying", then I do not have a good enough reason to write a Why X essay, and simply regurgitating info from their website is not going to make me stand out.

mst

Silver

Re: Why X essays

Post by mst » Sun Nov 14, 2010 1:56 am

I don't have amazing reasons for any school. I'm taking my academic background and tying it into their program offerings listed on the website. Yes, it is a bit of regurgitation. But it's also not an obvious form letter and I hope it demonstrates that I actually care about getting into their school and am willing to go the extra step with my application to set me apart from the hundreds of similar applicants with my numbers at schools that wait list a ridiculous amount of candidates...

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”