Resume and other admissions questions

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
gmreplay

Resume and other admissions questions

Postby gmreplay » Fri Nov 12, 2010 9:30 pm

I have absolutely no idea what my law school resume is meant to look like, and I can't find much direction on this site or elsewhere. I've seen people talk about how Michigan requests you present it, but I can't find anything about resumes on their law school site. Where are you guys getting the minute details on how to do all this stuff (PS, resume)? I feel like I didn't get the manual.

Pleasye

Re: Resume and other admissions questions

Postby Pleasye » Fri Nov 12, 2010 10:02 pm

gmreplay wrote:I have absolutely no idea what my law school resume is meant to look like, and I can't find much direction on this site or elsewhere. I've seen people talk about how Michigan requests you present it, but I can't find anything about resumes on their law school site. Where are you guys getting the minute details on how to do all this stuff (PS, resume)? I feel like I didn't get the manual.

Ken actually wrote a book about personal statements that is available for you to read on this site (http://www.top-law-schools.com/guide-to ... ments.html). You can also visit the personal statements part of the forum to look at other PS's and browse threads about personal statements requirements/ideas/etc.

For your resume, it's a normal resume but it should be tailored towards academics rather than getting a job. This means that people put their GPA, scholarships they've received, academic honors etc on and leave things like excel and typing speed off. Even though they are really intense and you may not have as much crazy experience as those applicants the Harvard law school website has some examples of resumes on their site that you can look to for a general idea of what to include and formatting. Hope this helps :)

gmreplay

Postby gmreplay » Fri Nov 12, 2010 10:14 pm

Any idea where people are getting their info when they say Michigan asks for a hobbies section and other schools don't?

Pleasye

Postby Pleasye » Fri Nov 12, 2010 11:23 pm

gmreplay wrote:Any idea where people are getting their info when they say Michigan asks for a hobbies section and other schools don't?

I don't but I will ask/look around for you!

vegenator

Postby vegenator » Fri Nov 12, 2010 11:30 pm

LSpleaseee wrote:
gmreplay wrote:Any idea where people are getting their info when they say Michigan asks for a hobbies section and other schools don't?

I don't but I will ask/look around for you!

It is either on the applicatio itself, the application instructions on lsac or on the Michigan website. I can't remember exactly right now and I'm too lazy to search ( on my phone) , but they also ask that you briefly state what you'll be doing until law school starts if you're not currently in undergrad.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”