Penn Supplemental Essays

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Lovely Ludwig Van

Bronze

Penn Supplemental Essays

Postby Lovely Ludwig Van » Fri Nov 12, 2010 8:27 pm

Two questions:

First off, when the Penn application asks us to address 1-3 of the supplemental essay topics, does that mean up to three separate 1-page essays? Or is it one 1-page essay that deals with up to all three topics? Sorry I know this is probably really paranoid, but I am really banking on Penn as my 1st choice school.

Second, for those of you who decided to write on the second essay topic (art/literature), would you mind stating which piece of art/literature you wrote on? This seems like a highly abstract topic and difficult to tie in with law school.

Thanks for all/any responses.

r6_philly

Diamond

Re: Penn Supplemental Essays

Postby r6_philly » Fri Nov 12, 2010 11:20 pm

My understanding is one topic per page. I wrote 1 and 3 so can't help you with the 2nd one.

Hedwig

Silver

Postby Hedwig » Sat Nov 13, 2010 3:18 am

I was thinking of going with Harry Potter for the lit one, and talking about Albus Dumbledore's oratorial skills.

mst

Silver

Postby mst » Sat Nov 13, 2010 4:25 am

Haha god that 2nd one was just screaming for crazy answers.

Hedwig

Silver

Postby Hedwig » Sat Nov 13, 2010 4:37 am

Seriously. Who here was ACTUALLY inspired by a book or a work of art? Anyone? Did you see the Mona Lisa and go OH MY GOD! I WANNA BE A LEGISLATOR?!

I guess you could go with something classic like To Kill A Mockingbird.

When I was a little kid I wanted to be both a horse racing jockey and an Olympic figure skater because of books I read. I guess I should have been reading books about lawyers instead so I'd have something to write about.

mst

Silver

Postby mst » Sat Nov 13, 2010 5:23 am

Maybe it's a weed out essay. As in, anybody that writes it is taken out of the pool. Seriously though. If anybody decided to go law school after reading a book or looking at a picture, that person needs to seriously reevaluate the factors that contribute to their life decisions. Example: "Honey...I just read the cat and the hat...and...i might be forward and all because we've only been dating a few weeks...but you're my thing 1 and I'm your thing 2... and if we don't get married now we'll just be two crazy blue crackheads in orange jumpsuits with crazy blue hair..."

gbpackerbacker

Silver

Postby gbpackerbacker » Sat Nov 13, 2010 5:35 am

eit wrote:Seriously. Who here was ACTUALLY inspired by a book or a work of art? Anyone? Did you see the Mona Lisa and go OH MY GOD! I WANNA BE A LEGISLATOR?!

When I was a little kid I wanted to be both a horse racing jockey and an Olympic figure skater because of books I read. I guess I should have been reading books about lawyers instead so I'd have something to write about.

I was.

mst

Silver

Postby mst » Sat Nov 13, 2010 6:18 am

"When Winnie the Pooh got his head stuck in the honey jar, I didn't laugh. After all, all I saw was that this was an obvious case of a potential class action lawsuit against Honey Pot Makers, Inc. That's when I knew I wanted to be on those billboards. That's when I knew... I wanted to be a personal injury attorney."

kazu

Gold

Postby kazu » Sat Nov 13, 2010 7:26 am

mst wrote:Example: "Honey...I just read the cat and the hat...and...i might be forward and all because we've only been dating a few weeks...but you're my thing 1 and I'm your thing 2... and if we don't get married now we'll just be two crazy blue crackheads in orange jumpsuits with crazy blue hair..."

mst wrote:"When Winnie the Pooh got his head stuck in the honey jar, I didn't laugh. After all, all I saw was that this was an obvious case of a potential class action lawsuit against Honey Pot Makers, Inc. That's when I knew I wanted to be on those billboards. That's when I knew... I wanted to be a personal injury attorney."

LMFAO

MysticalWheel

Bronze

Postby MysticalWheel » Sat Nov 13, 2010 1:33 pm

eit wrote:Seriously. Who here was ACTUALLY inspired by a book or a work of art? Anyone? Did you see the Mona Lisa and go OH MY GOD! I WANNA BE A LEGISLATOR?!

Beyond Good and Evil by good old Senor Friedricho came close, but otherwise, it's a BS question.

MW

Hedwig

Silver

Postby Hedwig » Sat Nov 13, 2010 1:34 pm

gbpackerbacker wrote:

I was.

Awesome, which one?

shanshan333

Bronze

Postby shanshan333 » Sun Nov 14, 2010 4:07 am

I just wanted to say that I did, in fact, write the 2nd essay and ED'd to Penn.... I'm really happy with the essay and, since I'm an English major, I definitely have read a number of books that inspired me to pursue a legal education

mst

Silver

Postby mst » Sun Nov 14, 2010 5:13 am

shanshan333 wrote:I just wanted to say that I did, in fact, write the 2nd essay and ED'd to Penn.... I'm really happy with the essay and, since I'm an English major, I definitely have read a number of books that inspired me to pursue a legal education

Way to kill the jokes lame-o.

Mike12188

Silver

Postby Mike12188 » Sun Nov 14, 2010 5:58 am

mst wrote:
shanshan333 wrote:I just wanted to say that I did, in fact, write the 2nd essay and ED'd to Penn.... I'm really happy with the essay and, since I'm an English major, I definitely have read a number of books that inspired me to pursue a legal education

Way to kill the jokes lame-o.

F*ckin' English majors.

shanshan333

Bronze

Postby shanshan333 » Sun Nov 14, 2010 10:02 pm

haha, yes, we're known to suck the fun out of everything

ahduth

Gold

Postby ahduth » Sun Nov 14, 2010 10:14 pm

Literature majors FTW! Definitely planning on writing that second essay (probably later tonight lol). I figured that question was automatic - it's almost like getting another personal statement by which your application might stand out.

Oh, and I'll also be writing on my five year plan to slave away as a big law drone. Because they're going to find that different and memorable.

Edit: I've had too much coffee today. But I really am writing the second essay. I'm glad to hear it will be one of the few. :P

shanshan333

Bronze

Postby shanshan333 » Sun Nov 14, 2010 10:20 pm

for a second i was totally confused about that second part. yeah! im glad to stand out too.

leopardRAWR

Bronze

Postby leopardRAWR » Sun Nov 14, 2010 11:56 pm

Am I the only person who wrote their supplemental essay about art?

Bildungsroman

Platinum

Postby Bildungsroman » Sun Nov 14, 2010 11:59 pm

mst wrote:Seriously though. If anybody decided to go law school after reading a book or looking at a picture, that person needs to seriously reevaluate the factors that contribute to their life decisions.

A book I read about the law was a major motivating factor in me applying to law school. What's so crazy about that?

ahduth

Gold

Postby ahduth » Mon Nov 15, 2010 12:03 am

Bildungsroman wrote:
mst wrote:Seriously though. If anybody decided to go law school after reading a book or looking at a picture, that person needs to seriously reevaluate the factors that contribute to their life decisions.

A book I read about the law was a major motivating factor in me applying to law school. What's so crazy about that?

Nothing considering your goddamn username is bildungsroman. Sheesh.

birdlaw117

Gold

Postby birdlaw117 » Mon Nov 15, 2010 12:04 am

leopardRAWR wrote:Am I the only person who wrote their supplemental essay about art?

Was it this?

leopardRAWR

Bronze

Postby leopardRAWR » Mon Nov 15, 2010 10:33 am

Haha actually no it wasn't. It was about a piece of art that I genuinely loved as a child, and I spun it into how that made me want to be creative, discussed how I persevered through failure after failure at typical artistic things trying to find my creative side, then discovered I had a way with words and that law would be a way to fulfill my creative dreams through the frequent opportunity to play with words.

Or something like that. Yes, that is seriously what I wrote my essay about. Any diversity essay I attempted would be an even bigger joke, and I can't plan the next 5 hours much less the 5 years after law school convincingly, so I was left with the art/literature prompt. I figured why not have fun with it? If it works, they clearly think I have a way with words. If it doesn't, then I suppose I was not supposed to end up a Penn lol

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum�