Should I use this recommendation? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
sunsb

New

Should I use this recommendation?

Post by sunsb » Fri Nov 12, 2010 5:59 am

My family friend's brother is a judge in dependency court. He put me in contact with one of the state-run law firms that represent the parents in dependency court. I was unofficially added to a program for 1L law students. By the end of my time there, I was given all the responsibilities of a law clerk. I did very well during my internship, was entrusted with a good deal of responsibility and can expect an excellent recommendation from the law firm director.

However, I am wondering if it would be worth it to ask the Judge who got me the position to write me one as well. Although I did not work directly for him, he knows I did very well during my time there. The law firm director and several attorneys made a point of letting him know this, and he personally called to tell me he was pleased, as it reflected his good choice in judgement for the referral. My boss suggested the idea to me, and I must admit, it is appealing to have a judge write me a recommendation, as I am not sure how strong the ones my professors will write will be. He has known me since I was young, but we have had little contact before I started working at the courthouse. Do you think his recommendation will hold any weight? I'm sorry this is so long, Thanks in advance.

Eugenie Danglars

Gold

Re: Should I use this recommendation?

Post by Eugenie Danglars » Fri Nov 12, 2010 6:17 am

Generally, it's not a good idea to go for a "big name" recommender who doesn't know you as well over someone who's worked with you personally. What about one of the attorneys you worked with or one of the supervisors of this unofficial internship?

sunsb

New

Post by sunsb » Fri Nov 12, 2010 8:36 pm

Thanks for the response. I'm already obtaining a recommendation from the director, and I have one more from a professor that I am going to use. I was just wondering if getting the Judge to write me a rec would be a good option for those schools asking for 3 recommendations. I only ask because my only other option for a 3rd rec would be from a professor of a "Popular Music and Identity" course. Although the class was writing-intensive, I do not feel it would be a very strong rec. Thanks again for your response, I appreciate it

Pleasye

Platinum

Post by Pleasye » Fri Nov 12, 2010 8:43 pm

sunsb wrote:My family friend's brother is a judge in dependency court.
No. Family friends who have known you for a long time but not had much contact with you are not what schools are looking for in LOR's no matter what the persons title is. The professor is a better choice.

gin

Bronze

Post by gin » Sat Nov 13, 2010 3:42 am

I'd say no. Since he got most of the info from the attorneys you worked for, it would not be as detailed as it should be and it might be a bit redundant

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

mst

Silver

Post by mst » Sat Nov 13, 2010 5:42 am

gin wrote:I'd say no. Since he got most of the info from the attorneys you worked for, it would not be as detailed as it should be and it might be a bit redundant
Yeah, I agree... I wouldn't use if I didn't have to. Shouldn't have more than 1 LOR from out of academia anyways if you absolutely don't have to. Other two should be professors/academics. If you absolutely must request one from it, save it to send in as an addendum to schools you are waitlisted at, but make sure it avoids any mention of knowing you since you were a kid, and how nice of a young man you are...

Pleasye

Platinum

Post by Pleasye » Sat Nov 13, 2010 5:45 am

mst wrote: Yeah, I agree... I wouldn't use if I didn't have to. Shouldn't have more than 1 LOR from out of academia anyways if you absolutely don't have to. Other two should be professors/academics. If you absolutely must request one from it, save it to send in as an addendum to schools you are waitlisted at, but make sure it avoids any mention of knowing you since you were a kid, and how nice of a young man you are...
Yeah. Something like that would seriously hurt more than it would help.

sunsb

New

Post by sunsb » Mon Nov 15, 2010 5:06 am

thanks everyone, I'm taking your advice

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”