Addendum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
User avatar
jjmcdowe
Posts: 14
Joined: Sun Oct 17, 2010 12:56 am

Addendum

Postby jjmcdowe » Thu Nov 11, 2010 11:05 pm

Hello everyone,

I am in my sophomore year of college (political science and communication studies double major) this fall and as of right now I have approximately a 3.67 for the current semester. However, my freshman year was nothing to be desired (the grades were so bad that I don't even want to disclose them). But, my poor performance was not due to any tragic family matters, financial issues, etc. Will writing an addendum basically blaming myself for a terrible performance make any difference when I begin applying to schools? Or will it be sufficient if admissions see a drastic improvement from my freshman year as compared to the following years? I am well aware that to get into a top law school I have a mountain to climb at this point. Thanks to everyone.

justadude55
Posts: 963
Joined: Mon Aug 23, 2010 12:23 am

Re: Addendum

Postby justadude55 » Thu Nov 11, 2010 11:42 pm

jjmcdowe wrote:Hello everyone,

I am in my sophomore year of college (political science and communication studies double major) this fall and as of right now I have approximately a 3.67 for the current semester. However, my freshman year was nothing to be desired (the grades were so bad that I don't even want to disclose them). But, my poor performance was not due to any tragic family matters, financial issues, etc. Will writing an addendum basically blaming myself for a terrible performance make any difference when I begin applying to schools? Or will it be sufficient if admissions see a drastic improvement from my freshman year as compared to the following years? I am well aware that to get into a top law school I have a mountain to climb at this point. Thanks to everyone.

if your GPA is over a 3, and you ace the LSAT, you're solid.

i'd start studying for the LSAT now. honestly, if you want to go to a top 25 school and you have a GPA ~3 and don't hit the mid 150s on your first practice test, you want to possibly plan for a different career. even if you graduated with a 2.5, if you score a 175, you'll wind up at a pretty good institution.

User avatar
jjmcdowe
Posts: 14
Joined: Sun Oct 17, 2010 12:56 am

Re: Addendum

Postby jjmcdowe » Thu Nov 11, 2010 11:51 pm

justadude55 wrote:
jjmcdowe wrote:Hello everyone,

I am in my sophomore year of college (political science and communication studies double major) this fall and as of right now I have approximately a 3.67 for the current semester. However, my freshman year was nothing to be desired (the grades were so bad that I don't even want to disclose them). But, my poor performance was not due to any tragic family matters, financial issues, etc. Will writing an addendum basically blaming myself for a terrible performance make any difference when I begin applying to schools? Or will it be sufficient if admissions see a drastic improvement from my freshman year as compared to the following years? I am well aware that to get into a top law school I have a mountain to climb at this point. Thanks to everyone.

if your GPA is over a 3, and you ace the LSAT, you're solid.

i'd start studying for the LSAT now. honestly, if you want to go to a top 25 school and you have a GPA ~3 and don't hit the mid 150s on your first practice test, you want to possibly plan for a different career. even if you graduated with a 2.5, if you score a 175, you'll wind up at a pretty good institution.



Thanks for the advice... When should I plan on taking the LSAT? Sometime during my junior year and then apply senior year or even the year after?

justadude55
Posts: 963
Joined: Mon Aug 23, 2010 12:23 am

Re: Addendum

Postby justadude55 » Thu Nov 11, 2010 11:56 pm

maybe, but if you start studying now you will have a major advantage over everyone else in that area of the game (which is the more important area.) you should take it, at this point because it's so early on, when your score maxes out.

User avatar
jjmcdowe
Posts: 14
Joined: Sun Oct 17, 2010 12:56 am

Re: Addendum

Postby jjmcdowe » Fri Nov 12, 2010 12:05 am

Just for fun, lets say I bring my GPA right around a 3 and get an LSAT around 170. What would my chances be for UNC, Wake Forest, and W&M? UNC and Wake would both be in state for me.

justadude55
Posts: 963
Joined: Mon Aug 23, 2010 12:23 am

Re: Addendum

Postby justadude55 » Fri Nov 12, 2010 12:17 am

in state doesn't matter as much as you might think it does now. it's better, but not that much better. with a 3 and a 170, and the upward trend, i'd say in at all 3 with $, but with a 160 (which is well above average itself), you're out at all 3. what's amazing is that with a 4.0 and a 160, you might be out at all 3 as well.

User avatar
jjmcdowe
Posts: 14
Joined: Sun Oct 17, 2010 12:56 am

Re: Addendum

Postby jjmcdowe » Fri Nov 12, 2010 12:23 am

justadude55 wrote:in state doesn't matter as much as you might think it does now. it's better, but not that much better. with a 3 and a 170, and the upward trend, i'd say in at all 3 with $, but with a 160 (which is well above average itself), you're out at all 3. what's amazing is that with a 4.0 and a 160, you might be out at all 3 as well.


Well I think I'm going to start studying tomorrow haha

whymeohgodno
Posts: 2508
Joined: Mon Jul 19, 2010 8:15 pm

Re: Addendum

Postby whymeohgodno » Fri Nov 12, 2010 12:37 am

jjmcdowe wrote:
justadude55 wrote:in state doesn't matter as much as you might think it does now. it's better, but not that much better. with a 3 and a 170, and the upward trend, i'd say in at all 3 with $, but with a 160 (which is well above average itself), you're out at all 3. what's amazing is that with a 4.0 and a 160, you might be out at all 3 as well.


Well I think I'm going to start studying tomorrow haha


If you start studying, take the LSAT during your junior year...if you study for 2+ years you will definitely run out of material or just drag on the process for way longer than it's necessary.

Also if you take it during your junior year you always have the option to retake and still apply early in the cycle.

User avatar
jjmcdowe
Posts: 14
Joined: Sun Oct 17, 2010 12:56 am

Re: Addendum

Postby jjmcdowe » Fri Nov 12, 2010 12:42 am

whymeohgodno wrote:
jjmcdowe wrote:
justadude55 wrote:in state doesn't matter as much as you might think it does now. it's better, but not that much better. with a 3 and a 170, and the upward trend, i'd say in at all 3 with $, but with a 160 (which is well above average itself), you're out at all 3. what's amazing is that with a 4.0 and a 160, you might be out at all 3 as well.


Well I think I'm going to start studying tomorrow haha


If you start studying, take the LSAT during your junior year...if you study for 2+ years you will definitely run out of material or just drag on the process for way longer than it's necessary.

Also if you take it during your junior year you always have the option to retake and still apply early in the cycle.


My only concern is that if I take it my junior year the obvious progression would be to start applying my senior year and I don't know if my GPA will be attractive enough at that point.

justadude55
Posts: 963
Joined: Mon Aug 23, 2010 12:23 am

Re: Addendum

Postby justadude55 » Fri Nov 12, 2010 1:08 am

that's a fair concern.

User avatar
jjmcdowe
Posts: 14
Joined: Sun Oct 17, 2010 12:56 am

Re: Addendum

Postby jjmcdowe » Fri Nov 12, 2010 10:13 am

justadude55 wrote:that's a fair concern.


Any suggestions?

User avatar
ahduth
Posts: 2468
Joined: Wed Sep 29, 2010 10:55 am

Re: Addendum

Postby ahduth » Fri Nov 12, 2010 11:12 am

jjmcdowe wrote:
justadude55 wrote:that's a fair concern.


Any suggestions?


Work for a couple years after college. Or do some heavy duty volunteer type stuff, Peace Corps, that sort of thing. It'll make your application stronger period.

User avatar
jjmcdowe
Posts: 14
Joined: Sun Oct 17, 2010 12:56 am

Re: Addendum

Postby jjmcdowe » Fri Nov 12, 2010 11:24 am

ahduth wrote:
jjmcdowe wrote:
justadude55 wrote:that's a fair concern.


Any suggestions?


Work for a couple years after college. Or do some heavy duty volunteer type stuff, Peace Corps, that sort of thing. It'll make your application stronger period.


This whole thread is depressing me haha




Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 7 guests