Somewhat Esoteric PS / Resume Question

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
ahduth

Somewhat Esoteric PS / Resume Question

Postby ahduth » Thu Nov 11, 2010 9:41 pm

Are deans going to know what SAP is? If you've been in the business world, you (probably) know the drill. But one of my PS readers just asked me what the hell it is, and she's... an anti-trust litigator. Kind of weird since the anti-trust people should be generally business savvy I'd think.

Just trying to figure out how complex an explanation I need to give in the resume. Don't want them to think it's some sort of video game or something.

nihilism is key

Re: Somewhat Esoteric PS / Resume Question

Postby nihilism is key » Thu Nov 11, 2010 10:22 pm

When I read SAP the first two things that come to mind are: 1) statistics software and 2) structural adjustment program. The fact that more than one thing comes to mind suggests you might want to clarify. Unless you're a statistician or working with the IMF, I would need an explanation. Then again, I am not a law school dean. Just a lowly undergrad.

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Thu Nov 11, 2010 10:27 pm

Business software designed by a German company. SAP probably needs some explanation as it is not as common as Photoshop or Microsoft's office software.

ahduth

Postby ahduth » Thu Nov 11, 2010 10:30 pm

Well, yeah, CanadianWolf... got it I guess, although it wasn't a quiz lol. :D The stat program you're thinking of is SPSS probably.

I'm just not sure a) if i need to explain it, b) how to do it without insulting their intelligence and really.... c) how to do it all. It's like, big and complicated and stuff. And sort of integral to my work history. :?

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Thu Nov 11, 2010 10:36 pm

If you read my entire response you will realize that I answered your question. I know SAP primarily because of their local office in the 1990s that was constantly hiring computer programmers & sales folks at well above six figure salaries.
To more directly answer your initial inquiry, no, law school admissions officers are unlikely to be familiar with SAP although most business school admissions officers should.

ahduth

Postby ahduth » Thu Nov 11, 2010 10:41 pm

Yeah, did you edit it or something? I swear I didn't see the second part.

Anyhow I drummed up:

SAP is an "enterprise resource planning" system. It manages core functions such as finance, HR, logistics and production. By providing an integrated platform to handle these issues, it allows large business to coordinate their activities more effectively.

But that doesn't even begin to explain what a clusterfuck the system is. Multi-year installation timeframes and budgets in the hundreds of millions of dollars for all the consultants involved? It's most definitely not Photoshop.

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Thu Nov 11, 2010 10:42 pm

No, I did not edit it or something. SAP is business management software.

P.S. You explanation is not good since it is unclear & overly complicated. Reads as if you don't understand what SAP is & you are trying to sound too sophisticated.
Last edited by CanadianWolf on Thu Nov 11, 2010 10:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ahduth

Postby ahduth » Thu Nov 11, 2010 10:44 pm

CanadianWolf wrote:No, I did not edit it or something. SAP is business management software.

Snarky. :o

Anyone have any experience putting this type of stuff on their resumes?

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Thu Nov 11, 2010 10:46 pm

Cross posted.
Last edited by CanadianWolf on Wed Nov 24, 2010 12:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

luckyme

Postby luckyme » Thu Nov 11, 2010 10:48 pm

ahduth wrote:
CanadianWolf wrote:No, I did not edit it or something. SAP is business management software.

Snarky. :o

Anyone have any experience putting this type of stuff on their resumes?

offset with commas:

blah BS blah SAP, [mad ridic complex] business management software, blah BS BS BS BS blah

edit: ignored the post detailing the complexity of the program

ahduth

Postby ahduth » Thu Nov 11, 2010 11:35 pm

CanadianWolf wrote:You are truly a d-bag.

And I thought our little dalliance was starting off so well...

:cry:

Not sure what I said to piss him off though, TBH.

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Thu Nov 11, 2010 11:37 pm

You were just being you, and I was just being honest.

nihilism is key

Postby nihilism is key » Thu Nov 11, 2010 11:56 pm

ahduth wrote:Well, yeah, CanadianWolf... got it I guess, although it wasn't a quiz lol. :D The stat program you're thinking of is SPSS probably.

I'm just not sure a) if i need to explain it, b) how to do it without insulting their intelligence and really.... c) how to do it all. It's like, big and complicated and stuff. And sort of integral to my work history. :?

It was SAS! That was the program I was thinking of.

But back on topic: I understand why you would have it listed on your resume, but why is it in your PS? Some context would be helpful.

ahduth

Postby ahduth » Fri Nov 12, 2010 12:18 am

nihilism is key wrote:
ahduth wrote:Well, yeah, CanadianWolf... got it I guess, although it wasn't a quiz lol. :D The stat program you're thinking of is SPSS probably.

It was SAS! That was the program I was thinking of.

But back on topic: I understand why you would have it listed on your resume, but why is it in your PS? Some context would be helpful.

I've been working with it heavily for several years, and I'm just now realizing that my business resume... isn't quite right for my target audience this time around. :)

The reference in the PS is pretty insubstantial TBH - I speak extensively about my work experience regarding other aspects, but I don't talk about designing stuff in the system or anything.

The problem I'm having is wording my resume in such a way that it makes any sense at all - between the finance jargon and the SAP stuff, it's just rather contorted. They have plenty of experience with career-changers, and the finance stuff I'm presuming they're a bit more familiar with. It's just that my client-facing work is definitely part of what I'd like to communicate to the schools - basically trying to say that the skills are transferable. "I helped people install, understand and use this monstrosity of a system. Kind of like how lawyers help people understand this monstrosity called our code of laws."

In the end, we all put our pants on one leg at a time - LSAT first, GPA second. I just don't want them to look at my resume and be like, WTF.

nihilism is key

Postby nihilism is key » Fri Nov 12, 2010 12:29 am

I'm sorry to say that without seeing your PS or your resume its difficult to help much more than to say: "Yes that program is obscure enough to the general public that you should assume they will not know it by name and it will require some additional explanation"

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”