Low Oct LSAT score, is Dec LSAT worth the wait?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
sunshine11

Low Oct LSAT score, is Dec LSAT worth the wait?

Postby sunshine11 » Thu Nov 11, 2010 9:21 pm

I already applied to schools last week right after I got my Oct LSAT score. I received a disappointing score that is slightly lower than 25 percentile of schools that I want to attend. I have not told the schools that I will take Dec LSAT because I am afraid they will just toss my application until I receive Dec LSAT score. I applied early so I can get the benefit of applying early in the cycle.

My question is if I take Dec LSAT test and score 2-3 points higher or so (obviously hoping for better but you never know..), is it worth it to tell the schools to wait for my Dec LSAT? 2-3 higher LSAT points will definately do me good but I am not sure weather I should give up my early application for it. Especially for the school I applied ED to.

I was hoping to tell them about my Dec LSAT after I get waitlisted from the schools I applied which means they have already reviewed my application. I am just worried that they would just rejected me rightaway.. What should I do? Should I let them know now?

irenic

Re: Low Oct LSAT score, is Dec LSAT worth the wait?

Postby irenic » Thu Nov 11, 2010 10:03 pm

I'm in the same situation. I think I could definitely get another 2 or 3 points but I don't think it is worth it personally. I'm sending my apps in this week to see what happens. If I don't get into the schools I want, then I'm going to give myself at least 4-6 months to prep for retake. Statistically most ppl rush their retake and don't do any better, if not worse.

whymeohgodno

Postby whymeohgodno » Thu Nov 11, 2010 10:05 pm

Unless you have a gpa in their 75th percentile with an LSAT below their 25th you may get straight up rejected instead of a WL.

ziggie

Postby ziggie » Thu Nov 11, 2010 10:11 pm

sunshine11 wrote:What should I do?

My advice is to just admit that you've made a mistake and remind them you've done this before

URMdan

Postby URMdan » Thu Nov 11, 2010 10:14 pm

whymeohgodno wrote:Unless you have a gpa in their 75th percentile with an LSAT below their 25th you may get straight up rejected instead of a WL.

What if you are a URM?

whymeohgodno

Postby whymeohgodno » Thu Nov 11, 2010 10:18 pm

URMdan wrote:
whymeohgodno wrote:Unless you have a gpa in their 75th percentile with an LSAT below their 25th you may get straight up rejected instead of a WL.

What if you are a URM?

URM's have a shot anywhere even with numbers that are well below 25th for both (although it's pretty rare).

sunshine11

Postby sunshine11 » Thu Nov 11, 2010 10:21 pm

URMdan wrote:

What if you are a URM?

I am not a URM even though I am an international student from Korea.

whymeohgodno

Postby whymeohgodno » Thu Nov 11, 2010 10:25 pm

sunshine11 wrote:
URMdan wrote:

What if you are a URM?

I am not a URM even though I am an international student from Korea.

I'm lol too. But not an international student.
Last edited by whymeohgodno on Fri May 06, 2011 9:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sunshine11

Postby sunshine11 » Thu Nov 11, 2010 10:26 pm

Yeah, I think you are right. The thing is I am applying to Part time program and 2-3 higher point would place me in median score. They are very LSAT focused.

whymeohgodno

Postby whymeohgodno » Thu Nov 11, 2010 10:27 pm

sunshine11 wrote:

Yeah, I think you are right. The thing is I am applying to Part time program and 2-3 higher point would place me in median score. They are very LSAT focused.

Georgetown?

URMdan

Postby URMdan » Thu Nov 11, 2010 10:28 pm

whymeohgodno wrote:
URMdan wrote:

What if you are a URM?

URM's have a shot anywhere even with numbers that are well below 25th for both (although it's pretty rare).

Do you have any sources to support that?

whymeohgodno

Postby whymeohgodno » Thu Nov 11, 2010 10:31 pm

URMdan wrote:
whymeohgodno wrote:
URMdan wrote:

What if you are a URM?

Do you have any sources to support that?

Look at Lawschoolnumbers. I highly doubt every single one of those URM green dots in reject territory are trolls/flames.

luckyme

Postby luckyme » Thu Nov 11, 2010 10:52 pm

check out "loshanda" on LSN :evil:

URMdan

Postby URMdan » Thu Nov 11, 2010 11:02 pm

luckyme wrote:check out "loshanda" on LSN :evil:

loshanda = troll

taxguy

Postby taxguy » Thu Nov 11, 2010 11:11 pm

Don't just accept everything said here since numbers don't tell the whole story. I personally know two people who got into University of Maryland with LSAT scores WAY below their median or even the bottom 25%. However, they had very strong other factors. One had a GPA of 3.9. The other, who didn't have nearly has high a GPA, had some very strong soft factors as well with some very strong recommendations. However, if you don't have anything specifically going for you that is very significant, the numbers are all that the schools will base their decisions on.

luckyme

Postby luckyme » Thu Nov 11, 2010 11:14 pm

URMdan wrote:

loshanda = troll

i hope so

whymeohgodno

Postby whymeohgodno » Thu Nov 11, 2010 11:23 pm

URMdan wrote:

loshanda = troll

pretty elaborate troll

there was one which was really obvious...AA male with like 4.03/180 who said he won the Olympic Gold medal for powerwalking and was the 3rd black man to climb mount everest...

He was pretty funny though.

luckyme

Postby luckyme » Thu Nov 11, 2010 11:26 pm

whymeohgodno wrote:
URMdan wrote:

loshanda = troll

pretty elaborate troll

there was one which was really obvious...AA male with like 4.03/180 who said he won the Olympic Gold medal for powerwalking and was the 3rd black man to climb mount everest...

He was pretty funny though.

lol

justadude55

Postby justadude55 » Thu Nov 11, 2010 11:26 pm

sunshine11 wrote:I already applied to schools last week right after I got my Oct LSAT score. I received a disappointing score that is slightly lower than 25 percentile of schools that I want to attend. I have not told the schools that I will take Dec LSAT because I am afraid they will just toss my application until I receive Dec LSAT score. I applied early so I can get the benefit of applying early in the cycle.

My question is if I take Dec LSAT test and score 2-3 points higher or so (obviously hoping for better but you never know..), is it worth it to tell the schools to wait for my Dec LSAT? 2-3 higher LSAT points will definately do me good but I am not sure weather I should give up my early application for it. Especially for the school I applied ED to.

I was hoping to tell them about my Dec LSAT after I get waitlisted from the schools I applied which means they have already reviewed my application. I am just worried that they would just rejected me rightaway.. What should I do? Should I let them know now?

it's better they hold your application than just ding it...

2-3 points depends on the score. 172 to 174 maybe not worth it. 163 to 165, probably worth it.

being on the median LSAT for these elite schools is not enough unless your GPA is awesome or you're URM. you really want to be several points above it.

luckyme

Postby luckyme » Thu Nov 11, 2010 11:30 pm

justadude55 wrote:
sunshine11 wrote:I already applied to schools last week right after I got my Oct LSAT score. I received a disappointing score that is slightly lower than 25 percentile of schools that I want to attend. I have not told the schools that I will take Dec LSAT because I am afraid they will just toss my application until I receive Dec LSAT score. I applied early so I can get the benefit of applying early in the cycle.

it's better they hold your application than just ding it...

some schools will evaluate your file with your current score if you make a written request, but it's best to not provide an explanation (which would inevitably read: plz review my app now bc your school's standards are relatively low, and i think i have a good shot at your school but not at my top choices--which is why i'm retaking)

justadude55

Postby justadude55 » Thu Nov 11, 2010 11:38 pm

some schools don't mind that. i was told by one school, "we can review your file now. you did very well on a previous LSAT." me: "i bombed it." them: "i think you did well."

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”