Dropped Classes Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
jmann123

New

Dropped Classes

Post by jmann123 » Thu Nov 11, 2010 6:35 pm

Hi, all. I've seen great advice to some of the tougher questions, so I'm hoping I might get some support here.

I'm applying next cycle, with a 170 LSAT and 3.6 GPA in Industrial Engineering, minor in Leadership. I've interned with Disney (a professional engineering internship, not college program), been an ambassador for my department, served in student government 3/4 years, and held minor leadership roles in my fraternity and my major's 2 main honor societies (1 is engineering, the other IE specifically). As part of my scholarship program, I've traveled or studied abroad for at least a part of all 4 summers (this summer is S.Africa!).

My LORs look like they'll be good enough. I have one from a geology professor who taught my study abroad in Mexico for 7 weeks, and we've stayed in close contact for the past 3 years since then. Another is coming from my Engineering Ethics professor, which I feel is relevant to law school (very conversational class) and I've been at virtually every office hour to talk about class discussion topics. Another could come from my department chair, since he knows me personally from Ambassadors, but I'm not sure about that one.

I want to live and practice in the southeast, so I'm planning on applying to UF (Safety, my undergrad school), UVA (dream school), Vandy, UNC, Duke, GTown, and Emory.

My biggest concern is that I've dropped 3 classes in undergrad (W on the transcript for them). Each was for its own reason and in its own semester, but still, I know dropped classes never look good. I've prepared an addendum to explain the circumstances behind each. Do you think this will be good enough? I'm really just nervous about this, since there's really nothing more I can do, but I'm curious how much weight this'll have.

I appreciate any feedback, as well as any input you might have about where I haven't considered to apply or if anything I'm doing sounds "off." Thanks!
Last edited by jmann123 on Thu Nov 11, 2010 6:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

St.Remy

Silver

Re: Dropped Classes

Post by St.Remy » Thu Nov 11, 2010 6:39 pm

By and large law schools don't care about whether you dropped classes, they care about your GPA. Honestly I would lean towards not writing an addendum, but if you feel it to be necessary then go ahead.

im_blue

Gold

Post by im_blue » Thu Nov 11, 2010 6:40 pm

Dropped classes don't appear on transcripts. Are you talking about getting 3 W's on your transcript? If so, they don't matter.

jmann123

New

Post by jmann123 » Thu Nov 11, 2010 6:47 pm

Yeah, W's.

capitalacq

Silver

Post by capitalacq » Sun Nov 14, 2010 2:11 pm

3 is about the limit where it doesn't really matter... so dont call more attention to it w/ an addendum

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”