"Why Northwestern?" and Work Experience (UG) Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
ATR

Silver

"Why Northwestern?" and Work Experience (UG)

Post by ATR » Thu Nov 11, 2010 3:50 pm

I received a fee waiver from Northwestern and would like to apply. However, I am applying from UG and know that there's essentially a 2-year work requirement post-grad for admission.

I was wondering if it would be beneficial for me to discuss my work experience in UG in some sort of additional statement such as "Why Northwestern?" or a diversity statement. I have a lot of responsibilities (which I expound upon in my PS) and my employer's co-director wrote me an excellent LOR; I do not think this is a standard student worker position.

How should I approach this? Thanks in advance.

Gold

Re: "Why Northwestern?" and Work Experience (UG)

Post by 005618502 » Thu Nov 11, 2010 4:02 pm

They really dont care about work experience from what ive heard while its in UG. They want people with REAL WE. not part time still a student stuff

ATR

Silver

Post by ATR » Thu Nov 11, 2010 4:04 pm

jt1341 wrote:They really dont care about work experience from what ive heard while its in UG. They want people with REAL WE. not part time still a student stuff
I know this... but I worked full-time in the summer and, as I mentioned, I have significant responsibilities (creating things that are presented on a national level). I know it likely won't make a difference and I'll get dinged, but after seeing their NLJ250 placement, I figure $12 is worth the slim chance at admission.

Gold

Post by 005618502 » Thu Nov 11, 2010 4:06 pm

atresia wrote:
jt1341 wrote:They really dont care about work experience from what ive heard while its in UG. They want people with REAL WE. not part time still a student stuff
I know this... but I worked full-time in the summer and, as I mentioned, I have significant responsibilities (creating things that are presented on a national level). I know it likely won't make a difference and I'll get dinged, but after seeing their NLJ250 placement, I figure $12 is worth the slim chance at admission.
I would say 90% of students work full time over the summer, and all can make their job seem like it was important. But if you were only full time during summer, then likely not so important.

I am not saying dont apply. You should for sure, whats 12 dollars. But i would apply and hope to get in off your numbers (i dont know what they are) not off of UG WE

Gold

Post by 005618502 » Thu Nov 11, 2010 4:07 pm

Just saw the 160 LSAT. maybe its not worth the 12 dollars... i mean thats a decent lunch...

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

ATR

Silver

Post by ATR » Thu Nov 11, 2010 4:08 pm

jt1341 wrote:I would say 90% of students work full time over the summer, and all can make their job seem like it was important. But if you were only full time during summer, then likely not so important.

I am not saying dont apply. You should for sure, whats 12 dollars. But i would apply and hope to get in off your numbers (i dont know what they are) not off of UG WE
True about the summer work thing, but I don't have to make it sound important - my boss's LOR does that. My GPA is >75% and I'm retaking the LSAT (it was 164, not 160).

Gold

Post by 005618502 » Thu Nov 11, 2010 4:09 pm

atresia wrote:
jt1341 wrote:I would say 90% of students work full time over the summer, and all can make their job seem like it was important. But if you were only full time during summer, then likely not so important.

True about the summer work thing, but I don't have to make it sound important - my boss's LOR does that. My GPA is >75% and I'm retaking the LSAT (it was 164, not 160).
164.... still, NU is LSAT loving

ATR

Silver

Post by ATR » Thu Nov 11, 2010 4:11 pm

jt1341 wrote:164.... still, NU is LSAT loving
Haha, I know that's not a competitive score for them, but assuming I net a 170 in December (PTing in that range), I would hope I can at least make them look at my PS and LOR.

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Thu Nov 11, 2010 4:11 pm

Apply or you may always ask yourself "What if..." ?
Some types of summer work experience during undergraduate years can offer significant insight into different viewpoints and speed up the maturing process. Northwestern Law professes to seek mature students who work well with others.

P.S. If your LSAT score is in the 164 range, then it may not be worthwhile for you to apply to Northwestern without earthshattering, groundbreaking work experience such as being on the search committee for the new law dean or curing cancer.
Last edited by CanadianWolf on Thu Nov 11, 2010 4:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ATR

Silver

Post by ATR » Thu Nov 11, 2010 4:13 pm

CanadianWolf wrote:Apply or you may always ask yourself "What if..." ?
Some types of summer work experience during undergraduate years can offer significant insight into different viewpoints and speed up the maturing process. Northwestern Law professes to seek mature students who work well with others.
Yeah, $12 is definitely worth the price for me. Actually, my PS demonstrates exactly that - I acquired insight into health law (my interest area).

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”