how does scholarship work?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
mz253

how does scholarship work?

Postby mz253 » Thu Nov 11, 2010 2:45 pm

i am looking at LSN and found that many people with my stats get decent scholarship from some T2 schools. I wonder how it works?

I'm an international student, so i guess i'm not eligible for any federal or state financial aid. i wonder the numbers shown in LSN are merit-based or need based?

if it's merit based? what T-2 schools are generous with scholarships?

Thanks!

OGR3

Re: how does scholarship work?

Postby OGR3 » Thu Nov 11, 2010 2:50 pm

mz253 wrote:i am looking at LSN and found that many people with my stats get decent scholarship from some T2 schools. I wonder how it works?

I'm an international student, so i guess i'm not eligible for any federal or state financial aid. i wonder the numbers shown in LSN are merit-based or need based?

Thanks!

It's almost entirely merit-based. If you have similar or higher stats, you can expect to get scholarship money. Keep in mind that the scholarships on LSN are often what has been negotiated, rather than initially offered by the school, so don't lose hope if the starting number is lower than you would have liked.

mz253

Postby mz253 » Thu Nov 11, 2010 2:58 pm

thanks for the info. i think i don't need to fill out any forms, right? (most schools I applied to didn't have any scholarship applications.)

OGR3 wrote:
mz253 wrote:i am looking at LSN and found that many people with my stats get decent scholarship from some T2 schools. I wonder how it works?

Thanks!

It's almost entirely merit-based. If you have similar or higher stats, you can expect to get scholarship money. Keep in mind that the scholarships on LSN are often what has been negotiated, rather than initially offered by the school, so don't lose hope if the starting number is lower than you would have liked.

OGR3

Postby OGR3 » Thu Nov 11, 2010 3:00 pm

mz253 wrote:thanks for the info. i think i don't need to fill out any forms, right? (most schools I applied to didn't have any scholarship applications.)

hmm, now i think about it, if my parents don't have to pay that much, i'm happy end up in a T2 school anyways. not sure if i want to be a lawyer afterwards.

If you don't want to be a lawyer, I would strongly advise against going to law school.

mz253

Postby mz253 » Thu Nov 11, 2010 3:40 pm

i don't have a choice. i wish i have other options.

Hedwig

Postby Hedwig » Thu Nov 11, 2010 5:42 pm

mz253 wrote:i don't have a choice. i wish i have other options.

??? Why no choice, explain further.

MrAdams

Postby MrAdams » Fri Nov 12, 2010 4:42 am

Mate, one life and all that, don't be berated into a career and life you don't necessarily want. Chances are that you will be destroyed by people who really do want to be a lawyer and will out perform you as a result of their superior passion, drive and motivation.

mz253

Postby mz253 » Fri Nov 12, 2010 10:52 am

oh, i will work hard. i don't have any passion anyways. i've always been doing what i'm not passionate about but the results are not bad.

MrAdams wrote:

Mate, one life and all that, don't be berated into a career and life you don't necessarily want. Chances are that you will be destroyed by people who really do want to be a lawyer and will out perform you as a result of their superior passion, drive and motivation.

Hedwig

Postby Hedwig » Fri Nov 12, 2010 1:29 pm

mz253 wrote:oh, i will work hard. i don't have any passion anyways. i've always been doing what i'm not passionate about but the results are not bad.

MrAdams wrote:

Do what you're passionate about. It is not that hard. Financially speaking, it might not be too great for awhile. You might have to start at the bottom. But you are asking about scholly's to LS so it's not like you'd be too much better off going into debt for a career you don't want that you might drop out of anyways.

ahduth

Postby ahduth » Fri Nov 12, 2010 1:46 pm

The extreme dispassion with which he is approaching this whole thing makes me think he'd be a great contract killer, or somehow involved with espionage.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”