Made A Stupid Mistake; Should I Freak Out?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
dannyde7

Made A Stupid Mistake; Should I Freak Out?

Postby dannyde7 » Thu Nov 11, 2010 12:17 pm

I was up very late applying to schools last night. One of the schools I applied to asked for a personal statement that specifically addresses why I want to go to law school. I mistakenly included my generic PS instead of the one I had written specifically for this school addressing this question. The statement I submitted isn't bad, and it does address law school, but it's still not exactly the right one.

Their office is closed for Veterans Day, but if I send them the new statement, will they replace the one I submitted last night, or just include it as an additional statement? What do most ad offices do?

WhirledWorld

Re: Made A Stupid Mistake; Should I Freak Out?

Postby WhirledWorld » Thu Nov 11, 2010 1:10 pm

Last edited by WhirledWorld on Wed Jan 29, 2014 9:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dannyde7

Postby dannyde7 » Thu Nov 11, 2010 1:25 pm

Thanks! Bump.

JJDancer

Postby JJDancer » Thu Nov 11, 2010 2:46 pm

I think you can email the admissions dept and tell them that you accidentally attached the wrong file and send the PS you intended as an attachment to the email.

Apologize for the inconvenience and ask them to let you know if they are able to substitute/replace the file.

dannyde7

Postby dannyde7 » Thu Nov 11, 2010 3:34 pm

This for BU. Anyone else with any specific insight?

Blindc1rca

Postby Blindc1rca » Thu Nov 11, 2010 3:39 pm

It says...

Please include a statement that explains the significant personal, social, or academic experiences that have contributed to your decision to study law. Please double-space your personal statement and any optional essays.

It doesn't say you have to explain why or how they contributed to your decision to study law. Given the prompt, any experience you talk about in your PS will automatically be assumed to have contributed in some way to your decision to study law.

IOW I wouldn't worry about it.

dannyde7

Postby dannyde7 » Thu Nov 11, 2010 3:42 pm

Blindc1rca wrote:It says...

Please include a statement that explains the significant personal, social, or academic experiences that have contributed to your decision to study law. Please double-space your personal statement and any optional essays.

It doesn't say you have to explain why or how they contributed to your decision to study law. Given the prompt, any experience you talk about in your PS will automatically be assumed to have contributed in some way to your decision to study law.

IOW I wouldn't worry about it.

So did you just submit your general PS for this? My general PS mentions law in the last paragraph and why I'm looking forward to going to law school, but its focus is mainly on me and how I grew from an experience. The other PS I was going to attach specifically addressed how an experience influenced my decision to study law.

dannyde7

Postby dannyde7 » Thu Nov 11, 2010 3:53 pm

Also, what does IOW mean?

AsianCurveKiller

Postby AsianCurveKiller » Thu Nov 11, 2010 3:56 pm

You should freak out. Adcomm is going to see it and know that you cannot follow instructions, and do not want to go there bad enough to check the application before you sent it.

dannyde7

Postby dannyde7 » Thu Nov 11, 2010 4:08 pm

I checked the application like 6 times. It was 1:30 in the morning and I just forgot I was attaching a different PS instead.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”