Is this just plain stupid? Or genius?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Pastels

Is this just plain stupid? Or genius?

Postby Pastels » Wed Nov 10, 2010 10:14 pm

When applying to a school would explicitly stating that it is your first choice bearing the needed scholarship to attend help or hurt your chances at, getting a scholly? Gaining admission?

kazu

Re: Is this just plain stupid? Or genius?

Postby kazu » Wed Nov 10, 2010 10:17 pm

Applying ED is the ultimate "You are my first choice" statement. Otherwise it probably won't really help or hurt you. I swear there are multiple threads on this somewhere.

Hedwig

Postby Hedwig » Wed Nov 10, 2010 10:24 pm

Applying ED isn't usually the best way to get money, though, right?

I would try to phrase it more like "while loans/scholarship are a concern because I would like to practice public interest" or whatever. Something like that. Don't make it about GIMME MONEY OR I AIN'T COMING.

hokie

Postby hokie » Wed Nov 10, 2010 10:31 pm

kazu wrote:Applying ED is the ultimate "You are my first choice" statement. Otherwise it probably won't really help or hurt you. I swear there are multiple threads on this somewhere.

this. I am sure adcomms at every school have heard "XXX law school is my first choice...." to the point where the statement no longer (if it did ever) bears much weight. If it IS your first choice, ED would be the best option and the greatest statement that the school you are applying to indeed is your #1 choice. But hey, saying it is your first choice doesn't hurt :wink:

On a side note, if financial help (aka scholly money) was what you were seeking, then apart from merit schollys I would consider writing a DS on your financial background and situation. Not sure exactly of the process but it may help if you have actual documentation (LSAC fee waiver, tax records, etc.) showing that you indeed are in need of financial help. But again, many people applying to law school (particularly competitive law schools - T14) are going to receive loans regardless anyways.....

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Wed Nov 10, 2010 10:34 pm

hokie wrote:On a side note, if financial help (aka scholly money) was what you were seeking, then apart from merit schollys I would consider writing a DS on your financial background and situation. Not sure exactly of the process but it may help if you have actual documentation (LSAC fee waiver, tax records, etc.) showing that you indeed are in need of financial help. But again, many people applying to law school (particularly competitive law schools - T14) are going to receive loans regardless anyways.....

Don't write a DS just because you're low on liquid assets. That's silly and doesn't make you diverse. Law schools barely give out any need-based aid to speak of. It's all merit and loans. If you're credit isn't FUBAR you'll get loans. If you want the non-loan money, demonstrate the merit through your GPA and LSAT.

Pastels

Postby Pastels » Wed Nov 10, 2010 10:42 pm

My numbers are 75/75 for the school. Unless my research is completely off, I should get some good coin. I was hoping that letter might really make them throw it at me.

im_blue

Postby im_blue » Wed Nov 10, 2010 11:05 pm

stupid idea. if it's truly your first choice, then you wouldn't need money to entice you to attend.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”