# of Schools

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
ksimon2007
Posts: 532
Joined: Sun Oct 21, 2007 9:23 pm

# of Schools

Postby ksimon2007 » Wed Nov 10, 2010 10:02 pm

Does it matter that I will send apps to over around 20 schools? Some apps ask for schools I am applying to and I truly am not interested in listing all of the schools. In some cases the app leaves the space as optional, but some do not. Please advise.

12262010
Posts: 612
Joined: Mon Oct 26, 2009 3:15 pm

Re: # of Schools

Postby 12262010 » Wed Nov 10, 2010 10:04 pm

list a handful of peer schools.

ksimon2007
Posts: 532
Joined: Sun Oct 21, 2007 9:23 pm

Re: # of Schools

Postby ksimon2007 » Wed Nov 10, 2010 10:14 pm

booyakasha wrote:list a handful of peer schools.


Makes sense, but I don't want to mislead to the extent that it becomes an issue.

User avatar
swilson215
Posts: 1109
Joined: Tue Dec 30, 2008 4:35 pm

Re: # of Schools

Postby swilson215 » Wed Nov 10, 2010 10:33 pm

booyakasha wrote:list a handful of peer schools.


+1. When optional, I leave it blank. If it doesn't say (specifically) that it's optional, I put down three or four other similarly ranked/located schools.

ksimon2007
Posts: 532
Joined: Sun Oct 21, 2007 9:23 pm

Re: # of Schools

Postby ksimon2007 » Wed Nov 10, 2010 10:38 pm

swilson215 wrote:
booyakasha wrote:list a handful of peer schools.


+1. When optional, I leave it blank. If it doesn't say (specifically) that it's optional, I put down three or four other similarly ranked/located schools.


Sounds like a plan.

User avatar
Arbiter213
Posts: 2249
Joined: Mon Oct 11, 2010 10:16 pm

Re: # of Schools

Postby Arbiter213 » Wed Nov 10, 2010 10:41 pm

ksimon2007 wrote:Does it matter that I will send apps to over around 20 schools? Some apps ask for schools I am applying to and I truly am not interested in listing all of the schools. In some cases the app leaves the space as optional, but some do not. Please advise.


Out of curiosity: >20? Do you just have no geographic preference at all or what?

ksimon2007
Posts: 532
Joined: Sun Oct 21, 2007 9:23 pm

Re: # of Schools

Postby ksimon2007 » Wed Nov 10, 2010 10:43 pm

Arbiter213 wrote:
ksimon2007 wrote:Does it matter that I will send apps to over around 20 schools? Some apps ask for schools I am applying to and I truly am not interested in listing all of the schools. In some cases the app leaves the space as optional, but some do not. Please advise.


Out of curiosity: >20? Do you just have no geographic preference at all or what?


I only applied to 3 schools for undergrad. I do have regional preferences with one being atop the list, but I want to leave options open, namely scholarship money at certain schools that may sway my view.

boricuaman
Posts: 20
Joined: Fri Jul 02, 2010 7:21 pm

Re: # of Schools

Postby boricuaman » Wed Nov 10, 2010 11:41 pm

My pre-law adviser told me to generally list around 4 schools. 2 ranked below the school you are applying to, and 2 ranked above.

mst
Posts: 925
Joined: Sun Jun 06, 2010 3:01 am

Re: # of Schools

Postby mst » Thu Nov 11, 2010 12:34 am

You don't need to send them an addendum with all 20 schools listed if thats what you are asking. Just list a few that will make it clear that you're interested in the region and actually attending a school in that rankage if you are above their medians.

User avatar
wiseguy33
Posts: 334
Joined: Mon Nov 01, 2010 11:53 pm

Re: # of Schools

Postby wiseguy33 » Thu Nov 11, 2010 3:16 am

I applied to >20 schools as well. Blanketed the T14 + ranked local schools. Just listed a few peer schools (ranked about the same, and mostly in the same location) where needed.




Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests