I just got a call from a TTT student to discuss their LS... Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
omninode

Bronze

Re: I just got a call from a TTTT student to discuss their LS...

Post by omninode » Thu Nov 11, 2010 10:38 am

rad law wrote:And don't get me wrong, I'm not making fun of this girl. It could happen to anyone.
Agree. I don't blame the students, I just think it's a little shady for law schools to try to sell a $120,000 education over the phone the way some people sell magazine subscriptions. That's the same kind of logic that inspired one law school (does anybody have a link to the original story?) to send an actual letter to recent graduates asking them to report false employment data in order to raise the school's ranking and, by extension, the perceived value of their own degree. Gross.

Aqualibrium

Gold

Post by Aqualibrium » Thu Nov 11, 2010 11:22 am

omninode wrote:
rad law wrote:And don't get me wrong, I'm not making fun of this girl. It could happen to anyone.
Agree. I don't blame the students, I just think it's a little shady for law schools to try to sell a $120,000 education over the phone the way some people sell magazine subscriptions. That's the same kind of logic that inspired one law school (does anybody have a link to the original story?) to send an actual letter to recent graduates asking them to report false employment data in order to raise the school's ranking and, by extension, the perceived value of their own degree. Gross.

I think you're going a little too far. For many people, adding a personal touch to the admissions process can be a huge deal. I know the amount of personal contact I had with students, professors, and career services reps was a huge part of the reason I ended up at my current school. This was all from a school that had already offered me a full scholarship. People want to feel wanted, the schools that understand and master that have no trouble recruiting top students and top professors (many of the professors here told me about how personalized the recruiting was to them).

Again, this is from the perspective of a person who only got calls from schools I was admitted to.
Last edited by Aqualibrium on Thu Nov 11, 2010 2:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gold

Re: I just got a call from a TTT student to discuss their LS...

Post by 094320 » Thu Nov 11, 2010 1:14 pm

JJDancer

Gold

Post by JJDancer » Thu Nov 11, 2010 1:45 pm

Killa $al wrote:
JJDancer wrote:Sigh. I'm indulging her because I feel bad. But there is 0 chance that I will apply.
Way to go! You are sooooo above that bitch and her shit-tier school. What was she thinking taking dear time out of your precious day? Keep up the good work.
Umm.. this is pretty uncalled for. I never said I was above her or anything. I feel bad about not talking to people or hanging up on them being like "sorry not willing to listen." I've called people for political campaigns etc and always appreciate when they at least let me say my side, even if they aren't enthusiastic etc.
But I don't see any reason to apply to a school in a place I don't want to be and where I think I would not be getting a top-notch edu/opportunities. I never called her a bitch or that she went to "shit-tier"/"shit-law" anything.

Lovely Ludwig Van

Bronze

Post by Lovely Ludwig Van » Thu Nov 11, 2010 2:45 pm

JJDancer wrote:Sigh. I'm indulging her because I feel bad. But there is 0 chance that I will apply.

This school wouldn't happened to be UCincinatti would it. I got a phone call out of nowhere selling the fact that if you live on the Ohio-Kentucky border, you can get in state tuition despite being out of state. Whoo...

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

ahduth

Gold

Post by ahduth » Thu Nov 11, 2010 3:10 pm

Lovely Ludwig Van wrote:

This school wouldn't happened to be UCincinatti would it. I got a phone call out of nowhere selling the fact that if you live on the Ohio-Kentucky border, you can get in state tuition despite being out of state. Whoo...
Get the OP to change it to a poll and... let's find out, shall we?

omninode

Bronze

Post by omninode » Thu Nov 11, 2010 5:39 pm

Aqualibrium wrote:
omninode wrote:

I think you're going a little too far. For many people, adding a personal touch to the admissions process can be a huge deal. I know the amount of personal contact I had with students, professors, and career services reps was a huge part of the reason I ended up at my current school. This was all from a school that had already offered me a full scholarship. People want to feel wanted, the schools that understand and master that have no trouble recruiting top students and top professors (many of the professors here told me about how personalized the recruiting was to them).

Again, this is from the perspective of a person who only got calls from schools I was admitted to.
I have absolutely no objection to getting calls from schools I have actually applied to. That would be great. My experience is a little different. The week after I got my LSAT score, I got a phone call from a student (3L I believe) at a school that I had absolutely no previous contact with, encouraging me to visit the school and consider applying. She did not sound enthusiastic about it (probably had already made 10-20 calls that day) and I sensed desperation on the part of the school. I already was planning on not applying there, but that phone call really turned me off.

Schools calling people who have applied or requested information makes sense. Cold calling in the middle of the day does not. That's the distinction I want to make.

Aqualibrium

Gold

Post by Aqualibrium » Thu Nov 11, 2010 5:51 pm

omninode wrote:
Aqualibrium wrote:
omninode wrote:

I have absolutely no objection to getting calls from schools I have actually applied to. That would be great. My experience is a little different. The week after I got my LSAT score, I got a phone call from a student (3L I believe) at a school that I had absolutely no previous contact with, encouraging me to visit the school and consider applying. She did not sound enthusiastic about it (probably had already made 10-20 calls that day) and I sensed desperation on the part of the school. I already was planning on not applying there, but that phone call really turned me off.

Schools calling people who have applied or requested information makes sense. Cold calling in the middle of the day does not. That's the distinction I want to make.

Then we shall agree to agree. 8)

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”