Why a Why Statement?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
User avatar
yngblkgifted
Posts: 1049
Joined: Sun Apr 25, 2010 8:57 pm

Why a Why Statement?

Postby yngblkgifted » Wed Nov 10, 2010 7:34 pm

When does one write a Why Statement? Is it a good idea to write one for every school that asks for one? I am having trouble getting started..I don't have a school I am "dying" to go to...I honestly just want to get into the best one I can. It's not like any one particular school seems like it will offer me anything that much different from the next one. I haven't officially visited any of the ones that I am applying to. All I know about them is what is on their website, view books, Wikipedia etc.

Is it true that not writing one can negatively affect my application?

User avatar
yngblkgifted
Posts: 1049
Joined: Sun Apr 25, 2010 8:57 pm

Re: Why a Why Statement?

Postby yngblkgifted » Wed Nov 10, 2010 8:27 pm

bump

User avatar
LeDique
Posts: 12788
Joined: Tue Nov 02, 2010 2:10 pm

Re: Why a Why Statement?

Postby LeDique » Wed Nov 10, 2010 8:28 pm

This thread should answer a lot of your questions: viewtopic.php?f=22&t=94015

User avatar
yngblkgifted
Posts: 1049
Joined: Sun Apr 25, 2010 8:57 pm

Re: Why a Why Statement?

Postby yngblkgifted » Wed Nov 10, 2010 8:34 pm

LeDique wrote:This thread should answer a lot of your questions: viewtopic.php?f=22&t=94015


Word. Thank you!

User avatar
capitalacq
Posts: 639
Joined: Thu Feb 05, 2009 2:42 am

Re: Why a Why Statement?

Postby capitalacq » Thu Nov 11, 2010 12:51 am

yngblkgifted wrote:Is it true that not writing one can negatively affect my application?

not really. it's just something overachievers like to write to make them feel good about themselves and to try to intimidate those who didn't write them

User avatar
ahduth
Posts: 2468
Joined: Wed Sep 29, 2010 10:55 am

Re: Why a Why Statement?

Postby ahduth » Thu Nov 11, 2010 12:54 am

capitalacq wrote:
yngblkgifted wrote:Is it true that not writing one can negatively affect my application?

not really. it's just something overachievers like to write to make them feel good about themselves and to try to intimidate those who didn't write them


Wat. I thought they were basically required for MVP. And aren't there other epic YP schools that you need to let know that you're actually considering going to, and not just spamming applications at?

User avatar
capitalacq
Posts: 639
Joined: Thu Feb 05, 2009 2:42 am

Re: Why a Why Statement?

Postby capitalacq » Thu Nov 11, 2010 12:59 am

ahduth wrote:
capitalacq wrote:
yngblkgifted wrote:Is it true that not writing one can negatively affect my application?

not really. it's just something overachievers like to write to make them feel good about themselves and to try to intimidate those who didn't write them


Wat. I thought they were basically required for MVP. And aren't there other epic YP schools that you need to let know that you're actually considering going to, and not just spamming applications at?

actually, M might be the one exception, but still not sure if it even makes a difference there.

User avatar
yngblkgifted
Posts: 1049
Joined: Sun Apr 25, 2010 8:57 pm

Re: Why a Why Statement?

Postby yngblkgifted » Thu Nov 11, 2010 1:34 am

ahduth wrote:
capitalacq wrote:
yngblkgifted wrote:Is it true that not writing one can negatively affect my application?

not really. it's just something overachievers like to write to make them feel good about themselves and to try to intimidate those who didn't write them


Wat. I thought they were basically required for MVP. And aren't there other epic YP schools that you need to let know that you're actually considering going to, and not just spamming applications at?


These schools are kinda my reach schools (MVPD). Isn't it true that someone with borderline numbers probably won't get YP because they (law schools) are assuming the student didn't get in anywhere substantially better?




Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: apricots, kiwikaki and 3 guests