Why a Why Statement?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
yngblkgifted

Why a Why Statement?

Postby yngblkgifted » Wed Nov 10, 2010 7:34 pm

When does one write a Why Statement? Is it a good idea to write one for every school that asks for one? I am having trouble getting started..I don't have a school I am "dying" to go to...I honestly just want to get into the best one I can. It's not like any one particular school seems like it will offer me anything that much different from the next one. I haven't officially visited any of the ones that I am applying to. All I know about them is what is on their website, view books, Wikipedia etc.

Is it true that not writing one can negatively affect my application?

yngblkgifted

Re: Why a Why Statement?

Postby yngblkgifted » Wed Nov 10, 2010 8:27 pm

bump

LeDique

Postby LeDique » Wed Nov 10, 2010 8:28 pm

This thread should answer a lot of your questions: viewtopic.php?f=22&t=94015

yngblkgifted

Postby yngblkgifted » Wed Nov 10, 2010 8:34 pm

LeDique wrote:This thread should answer a lot of your questions: viewtopic.php?f=22&t=94015

Word. Thank you!

capitalacq

Postby capitalacq » Thu Nov 11, 2010 12:51 am

yngblkgifted wrote:Is it true that not writing one can negatively affect my application?

not really. it's just something overachievers like to write to make them feel good about themselves and to try to intimidate those who didn't write them

ahduth

Postby ahduth » Thu Nov 11, 2010 12:54 am

capitalacq wrote:
yngblkgifted wrote:Is it true that not writing one can negatively affect my application?

not really. it's just something overachievers like to write to make them feel good about themselves and to try to intimidate those who didn't write them

Wat. I thought they were basically required for MVP. And aren't there other epic YP schools that you need to let know that you're actually considering going to, and not just spamming applications at?

capitalacq

Postby capitalacq » Thu Nov 11, 2010 12:59 am

ahduth wrote:
capitalacq wrote:

Wat. I thought they were basically required for MVP. And aren't there other epic YP schools that you need to let know that you're actually considering going to, and not just spamming applications at?

actually, M might be the one exception, but still not sure if it even makes a difference there.

yngblkgifted

Postby yngblkgifted » Thu Nov 11, 2010 1:34 am

ahduth wrote:
capitalacq wrote:

These schools are kinda my reach schools (MVPD). Isn't it true that someone with borderline numbers probably won't get YP because they (law schools) are assuming the student didn't get in anywhere substantially better?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”