Turning down admissions

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
irenic

Turning down admissions

Postby irenic » Wed Nov 10, 2010 3:01 pm

I'm a reach for the schools that I would like to go to and I'm considering applying to lower ranked schools that I have a better shot at. If I were to turn down admission to a school and then reapply the in the following year or two, are you "blacklisted" so to speak? Is it a bad idea to apply to a school unless you're sure that you would accept admission? I want to improve my LSAT score, but if worst case scenario occurs and it doesn't, I'd hate for the schools I've turned down not to let me in because of it. Thanks in advance for any input!

FuManChusco

Re: Turning down admissions

Postby FuManChusco » Wed Nov 10, 2010 4:15 pm

I actually talked to my pre-law advisor about this. She's pretty clueless in general, but I got a few things out of it. You'll definitely need to write a new PS. She also said you should include an addendum explaining why you turned down the offer the previous year. I honestly don't think it's a big deal. I would like to hear from someone who was in this situation. Probably could offer far more insight.

capitalacq

Postby capitalacq » Thu Nov 11, 2010 12:55 am

irenic wrote:I'm a reach for the schools that I would like to go to and I'm considering applying to lower ranked schools that I have a better shot at. If I were to turn down admission to a school and then reapply the in the following year or two, are you "blacklisted" so to speak? Is it a bad idea to apply to a school unless you're sure that you would accept admission? I want to improve my LSAT score, but if worst case scenario occurs and it doesn't, I'd hate for the schools I've turned down not to let me in because of it. Thanks in advance for any input!

nah you're fine. A lot of schools don't even look at past applications so you don't even need to change your PS or anything for most places (just check the admissions website because a few schools might want a different essay for re-applicants). Just decline politely and if they ask for a reason you can just say you're taking time off

gwuorbust

Postby gwuorbust » Thu Nov 11, 2010 1:05 am

FuManChusco wrote:I actually talked to my pre-law advisor about this. She's pretty clueless in general, but I got a few things out of it. You'll definitely need to write a new PS. She also said you should include an addendum explaining why you turned down the offer the previous year. I honestly don't think it's a big deal. I would like to hear from someone who was in this situation. Probably could offer far more insight.

well there's your first mistake...

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”