Speech impairment as "diversity statement"?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
VulcanVulcanVulcan

Bronze

Speech impairment as "diversity statement"?

Postby VulcanVulcanVulcan » Tue Nov 09, 2010 10:40 pm

So forgive me for being clueless here, but I was reading the prompts for diversity statements on some of my applications and I had an idea. While I'm not "diverse" in a racial sense, I have struggled with stuttering for most of life and I've had to work hard to overcome it. Is that something that I can write about for a DS? Or will admissions officers just laugh in my face and automatically move me to the rejection pile?

mcubberly

Bronze

Re: Speech impairment as "diversity statement"?

Postby mcubberly » Tue Nov 09, 2010 10:45 pm

Me toooo. I just wrote about it in my personal statement. I figured that if admissions people thought it wasn't diverse enough, I could at least write about how I struggled with it and became a more mature/outspoken person, etc.

canuck

Bronze

Postby canuck » Tue Nov 09, 2010 10:53 pm

mcubberly wrote:Me toooo. I just wrote about it in my personal statement. I figured that if admissions people thought it wasn't diverse enough, I could at least write about how I struggled with it and became a more mature/outspoken person, etc.

Completely off-topic: your avatar rocks my world.

mcubberly

Bronze

Postby mcubberly » Tue Nov 09, 2010 10:54 pm

canuck wrote:
mcubberly wrote:Me toooo. I just wrote about it in my personal statement. I figured that if admissions people thought it wasn't diverse enough, I could at least write about how I struggled with it and became a more mature/outspoken person, etc.

Completely off-topic: your avatar rocks my world.

Troy and Abed in the moooorning!

The Gentleman

Silver

Postby The Gentleman » Tue Nov 09, 2010 10:55 pm

Would your experience as a stutterer contribute to the overall quality/uniqueness of the student body?

My vote is no. This sounds more like an "overcoming adversity" PS topic.

PS I too have struggled with stuttering for most of my life. I'm just glad the LSAT wasn't an oral exam.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum�