Alcohol-related Criminal Record -- is it a deal breaker?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
pdrez

Alcohol-related Criminal Record -- is it a deal breaker?

Postby pdrez » Tue Nov 09, 2010 9:29 pm

When I was younger I had a binge drinking problem that turned into a couple of arrests -- one a DWI and one a Public Intoxication/Criminal Mischief.

Both charges were put on deferred prosecution (alcohol counseling, community service, etc) and dismissed. They are not expunged, but dismissed. Does anyone have any knowledge of how much weight Law Schools put into these past indiscretions. What should I disclose aside from the dates/dismissals on my addendum? I have cleaned up my act and have had zero problems in over 5 years.

Any help will be much appreciated! Thanks.

lalalawya

Re: Alcohol-related Criminal Record -- is it a deal breaker?

Postby lalalawya » Tue Nov 09, 2010 9:48 pm

From what I have heard, drinking charges do not matter too much. The DWI probably would matter, but the fact that it was five years ago probably makes it a non-issue. The fact that you haven't gotten in trouble since shows maturity (or the ability to hide it better :) ) which is what I think schools are concerned about. As far as what to disclose, I think it is: jurisdiction, details of the event, date, name of charge and outcome.

pdrez

Re: Alcohol-related Criminal Record -- is it a deal breaker?

Postby pdrez » Tue Nov 09, 2010 11:00 pm

Thanks for the insights, it is reassuring for sure. I am more likely just going to give details of each case and its outcome, not getting into too many personal things (maturation, etc.)

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”