Do law schools care about senior year first semester grades?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Ludacrispat26

Do law schools care about senior year first semester grades?

Postby Ludacrispat26 » Tue Nov 09, 2010 2:41 pm

I am sending out my apps within the next week, and will receive my grades for this semester in late December/early January. Will law schools care about these or ask about these? Can they meaningfully sway a decision, or more importantly, will a law school take away an admit for poor grades?

agora139

Re: Do law schools care about senior year first semester grades?

Postby agora139 » Tue Nov 09, 2010 3:09 pm

i dont know the answer, but i'm curious also...my difference will (hopefully) be a 3.5 to a 3.6

im_blue

Postby im_blue » Tue Nov 09, 2010 3:30 pm

yes, yes, no

Ludacrispat26

Postby Ludacrispat26 » Tue Nov 09, 2010 9:26 pm

anyone else?

eberryhill7

Postby eberryhill7 » Tue Nov 09, 2010 9:35 pm

They will not look at them unless you send them. If you feel as if they will help your chances then send them. They are also a way to get considered as a candidate to come off of a waiting list.

bostonian

Postby bostonian » Tue Nov 09, 2010 9:36 pm

im_blue wrote:yes, yes, no

This.

They care about your GPA, so if those grades are factored into your GPA by the time they start looking at your transcript, then they'll matter.

Cardboardbox

Postby Cardboardbox » Tue Nov 09, 2010 9:41 pm

Basically, if you're applying now that means the transcript that is on record is the one that schools will see. They might ask to see your latest grades if you're on WL or potentially to be WLed. Other than that, they most likely won't ask and unless your gpa improves there's no reason you should update your transcript. And no, they won't revoke an offer for poor grades.

HowdyYall

Postby HowdyYall » Tue Nov 09, 2010 9:44 pm

Cardboardbox wrote:Basically, if you're applying now that means the transcript that is on record is the one that schools will see. They might ask to see your latest grades if you're on WL or potentially to be WLed. Other than that, they most likely won't ask and unless your gpa improves there's no reason you should update your transcript. And no, they won't revoke an offer for poor grades.

but what if you send in your apps now and they dont get to evaluating you until after christmas?

bostonian

Postby bostonian » Tue Nov 09, 2010 9:46 pm

HowdyYall wrote:
Cardboardbox wrote:Basically, if you're applying now that means the transcript that is on record is the one that schools will see. They might ask to see your latest grades if you're on WL or potentially to be WLed. Other than that, they most likely won't ask and unless your gpa improves there's no reason you should update your transcript. And no, they won't revoke an offer for poor grades.

but what if you send in your apps now and they dont get to evaluating you until after christmas?

To clarify my previous post: I meant that your GPA will matter at the point when the LSAC gets your transcript, not the school. The GPA on your transcript at the time you send it to LSAC is what the school will see.

Cupidity

Postby Cupidity » Tue Nov 09, 2010 9:56 pm

Horror Story:

I was called by the Dean of Admissions for UVA, he asked me "what is your cumulative GPA after the first semester's grades?" I said that it had dropped from a 3.87 to a 3.84, and he said, "well, I'm very sorry but I'm afraid we won't be able to offer you a spot here at UVA, however if your grades rise above 3.85 after the spring semester please submit an addendum, we'll keep you on the waitlist until then."

Keep you grades up damnit.

HowdyYall

Postby HowdyYall » Tue Nov 09, 2010 10:08 pm

Cupidity wrote:Horror Story:

I was called by the Dean of Admissions for UVA, he asked me "what is your cumulative GPA after the first semester's grades?" I said that it had dropped from a 3.87 to a 3.84, and he said, "well, I'm very sorry but I'm afraid we won't be able to offer you a spot here at UVA, however if your grades rise above 3.85 after the spring semester please submit an addendum, we'll keep you on the waitlist until then."

I would've been like "F you, I dont even want to go to your damn school"

kak5n

Postby kak5n » Tue Nov 09, 2010 10:17 pm

Is this true?! What if you get accepted before your semester grades are in?

bostonian

Postby bostonian » Tue Nov 09, 2010 10:20 pm

What was your LSAT?

whymeohgodno

Postby whymeohgodno » Tue Nov 09, 2010 10:30 pm

I find this hard to believe. But it may be true. I've heard some weird stuff about UVA.

danicalifornia

Postby danicalifornia » Tue Nov 09, 2010 10:34 pm

HowdyYall wrote:

I would've been like "F you, I dont even want to go to your damn school"

Seriously? I thought for sure you were being sarcastic!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”