Hedge Fund, Private Equity, I-Banking Options for HLS v. HBS

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
bruin10

Hedge Fund, Private Equity, I-Banking Options for HLS v. HBS

Postby bruin10 » Tue Nov 09, 2010 1:54 pm

and Wharton. Would they be the same or less?

mteevin

Re: Hedge Fund, Private Equity, I-Banking Options for HLS v. HBS

Postby mteevin » Tue Nov 09, 2010 3:26 pm

You are describing a career in the business world. I'm fairly certain that business school prepares you more adequately for a career in finance than does the education you will gain by getting a jd. a jd will not prepare you to pass the series 7 exam, nor will you be taught about any financial instruments in a non-legal context.

Patriot1208

Postby Patriot1208 » Tue Nov 09, 2010 5:31 pm

What a stupid thread.

Lwoods

Postby Lwoods » Tue Nov 09, 2010 5:40 pm

mteevin wrote:You are describing a career in the business world. I'm fairly certain that business school prepares you more adequately for a career in finance than does the education you will gain by getting a jd. a jd will not prepare you to pass the series 7 exam, nor will you be taught about any financial instruments in a non-legal context.

Plus it's typically expected that you will work in business prior to getting your MBA. There are exceptions, of course, but that's the usual course.

Also, I worked at an investment bank... the only exec I came across who wasn't working there as an in-house attorney was my boss. And she was a partner in a firm before moving to the bank.

hydroxide

Postby hydroxide » Fri Apr 06, 2012 5:43 pm

If you don't know the answer to the question asked in the thread, just don't write...

A lot of people who are working in Private Equity and Hedge Funds (Also Investment Banking heads) have JDs and there is a reason for that.

If you can't see the logic behind this question, I really have doubt in your analytical skills to become a good lawyer -_-''

After the financial crisis and economic downturn, the demand for MBA had decreased substantially. If you have background in Finance and had worked on Wall-Street for a couple years, MBA would be more like a vacation for you since the finance courses you would take would be too basic for you and other classes will seem like non-value add to your career. So people in general take these two years to rest up before going back and use the school alumni system to net-work the crap out.

If you don't have background in Finance, it would be almost impossible for you to go straight into Finance field after law school. You will have to work for a big corporate firm doing a lot of meaningless contract/tax/M&A (not the deal side) to build up your resume to get a chance to interview with investment banks or firms. So it would be a long-term investment. The case of Lloyd Blankfein is a good example.

The decision should be based on what kind of work you want to do in the future and what's your current background like. JD would definitely allow you to do more complex deals but if you want to do just syndicate work or advisory role, JD would be an excess investment.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Thanks,

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Fri Apr 06, 2012 6:11 pm

mteevin wrote:You are describing a career in the business world. I'm fairly certain that business school prepares you more adequately for a career in finance than does the education you will gain by getting a jd. a jd will not prepare you to pass the series 7 exam, nor will you be taught about any financial instruments in a non-legal context.

Law school seemed to prepare MTal pretty well for the series 7.

splitbrain

Postby splitbrain » Fri Apr 06, 2012 6:11 pm

Holy necro, Batman.

TLS_noobie

Postby TLS_noobie » Fri Apr 06, 2012 9:15 pm

This post is relevant to the topic at hand because of my profile picture. That is all, thank you and please continue...

bk1

Postby bk1 » Fri Apr 06, 2012 9:17 pm

splitbrain wrote:Holy necro, Batman.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”