Univ. of Cincinnati

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Chants

Univ. of Cincinnati

Postby Chants » Mon Nov 08, 2010 9:15 pm

Can any current students at UC tell me more about in state tuition?

Specifically, what is the graduate metropolitan rate? Am i understanding this correctly: If you obtain a KY drivers license and show proof of an (approved) KY county lease for the academic year you can obtain in state tuition?

Sounds too good to be true, so I am guessing I am reading this wrong?

Thanks for any info. in advance!

Chants

Re: Univ. of Cincinnati

Postby Chants » Tue Nov 09, 2010 9:44 am

Bumplestiltskin?

charlesxavier

Postby charlesxavier » Tue Nov 09, 2010 10:10 am

I'm not a current student but I have done a bit of research on the metro rate. Yes, the way it works is that if you live in one of the approved Northern Kentucky counties you qualify for instate tuition immediately (plus like an extra few hundred dollars in fees, I believe). But, if after your first or second year you decide you want to move to Ohio you would still have to pay out of state for a year. So, in reality it is only worth it if you are sure you want to stay in No KY for all three years. To prove residency they need a drivers license, a lease, or other proof. From what I read you're able to get that proof of residency to them up until the end of the first or second week of classes. The metro rate would definitely save you money and I had planned to do it if I went to Cincy, but it isn't very convenient. Getting to the law school from Northern KY requires you to go all the way through Cincy. So, traffic is a pain compared to getting to the law school from other parts of Ohio. It's really a matter of preference.

Chants

Postby Chants » Tue Nov 09, 2010 10:22 am

Thanks for the info. Where did you end up attending?

I grew up in Cincinnati so I agree with your assessment of having to drive through downtown to get to campus from KY. To save 30k + over three years, does seem worth it though (well, to me at least).

I am hoping I can obtain ohio in state tuition, but I've been gone for 4 years (although ohio was still my permanent residence) so in state is unlikely for me.

charlesxavier

Postby charlesxavier » Tue Nov 09, 2010 10:32 am

I am actually applying this cycle. I am from Florida but my dad and various other family members have lived in Cincinnati so I've had some interest in the school. My dad and I checked out the area this summer just to kind of get a feel for it. Being from Florida I am not used to winter weather so I don't know if I want to worry about learning to drive in snow/ice and having to drive from Northern Kentucky. So, for peace of mind if I do end up attending I may just live in Ohio. If I don't get into any of my reaches I will probably be choosing between Tennessee and Cincinnati.

Chants

Postby Chants » Tue Nov 09, 2010 10:56 am

Ic. Being from florida, I'm sure you won't love a midwest winter. However, compared to cleveland etc., cincinnnati doesn't get too much snow and when it does the city isn't prepared to handle it so the city shuts down. I have spent the last 4 yrs in coastal south carolina and don't miss the winters up north but cincy is a great city.

Word of caution, check out the neighborhood before you choose where to live. Like many cities, the "safer" neighborhoods aren't but a few streets away from the slums (clifton, over the rhine). Uc campus is in clifton, so make sure you feel safe/comfortable with your location.

Chants

Postby Chants » Wed Nov 17, 2010 2:57 pm

Any UC applicants getting any correspondence? I received an email saying app received awaiting supporting documents and will send confirmation when complete on 11/1. Sent documents on 11/5..crickets since then..

charlesxavier

Postby charlesxavier » Wed Nov 17, 2010 3:07 pm

Chants wrote:Any UC applicants getting any correspondence? I received an email saying app received awaiting supporting documents and will send confirmation when complete on 11/1. Sent documents on 11/5..crickets since then..

I applied at the beginning of September. At the end of September I got an email saying they received my app. Then on Oct. 7 I got an email saying my application was complete. That's about it.

Chants

Postby Chants » Wed Nov 17, 2010 3:15 pm

I guess they are just a bit slower. Two other apps I sent the same day are under review already so I am becoming somewhat nervous that my envelope never made it. Maybe ill call later.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”