Any shot at Vanderbilt? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
JennBNYC

Bronze

Any shot at Vanderbilt?

Post by JennBNYC » Mon Nov 08, 2010 8:06 pm

3.99 and 162 (149 the first time). Great recs and good softs.

I didn't apply earlier because I didn't think I had a chance (don't really think I do now either), but is it worth a shot? Should I do an interview? I was thinking delaying my app for that may not be wise?

Honest feedback appreciated :-).

JennBNYC

Bronze

Re: Any shot at Vanderbilt?

Post by JennBNYC » Mon Nov 08, 2010 8:08 pm

Oh, and I'm the first in my family to go to college and have 3 years WE.

wdk3618

New

Post by wdk3618 » Mon Nov 08, 2010 8:08 pm

odds say kno and are slim but vandy does love high gpa's so you never kno. If the application fee isnt a huge problem its worth a shot.

St.Remy

Silver

Post by St.Remy » Mon Nov 08, 2010 8:18 pm

JennBNYC wrote:Oh, and I'm the first in my family to go to college and have 3 years WE.
If you're a URM you have an outside shot at Vanderbilt. Otherwise your LSAT is too low for them. Consider retaking the LSAT if you feel like you can improve, which with that GPA could open up some great schools for you.

whymeohgodno

Gold

Post by whymeohgodno » Mon Nov 08, 2010 8:29 pm

ED to UVA and profit.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

beachbum

Gold

Post by beachbum » Mon Nov 08, 2010 8:33 pm

Vandy's probably a no-go. Retake the LSAT and try again. If it's your first choice (and it seems that it is), an interview would definitely be a good idea.

mst

Silver

Post by mst » Mon Nov 08, 2010 8:46 pm

No, you don't have a shot. Unless you are AA or Mexican American. And do an interview if you apply.

JennBNYC

Bronze

Post by JennBNYC » Mon Nov 08, 2010 8:48 pm

Thanks everyone for the prompt and honest replies. I figured my LSAT was too low, but thought I'd ask TLS for its opinion :-).

EDIT: ...to add that, no, I am not a URM.

Ragged

Silver

Post by Ragged » Mon Nov 08, 2010 8:49 pm

Retake!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

JOThompson

Silver

Post by JOThompson » Mon Nov 08, 2010 8:54 pm

I wouldn't rule it out completely, especially if you perform well during the interview. I was waitlisted with lower stats, though I had interesting soft factors too. Best idea is to retake, don't squander that nice GPA.

mst

Silver

Post by mst » Mon Nov 08, 2010 9:25 pm

JOThompson wrote:I wouldn't rule it out completely, especially if you perform well during the interview. I was waitlisted with lower stats, though I had interesting soft factors too. Best idea is to retake, don't squander that nice GPA.
I didn't say he wouldn't get WL'ed, I said he wouldn't get in. Both you and he can get WL'ed all you want but let's be honest he's probably not going to get off it.

JOThompson

Silver

Post by JOThompson » Mon Nov 08, 2010 9:34 pm

mst wrote:
JOThompson wrote:I wouldn't rule it out completely, especially if you perform well during the interview. I was waitlisted with lower stats, though I had interesting soft factors too. Best idea is to retake, don't squander that nice GPA.
I didn't say he wouldn't get WL'ed, I said he wouldn't get in. Both you and he can get WL'ed all you want but let's be honest he's probably not going to get off it.
As I said, it's not impossible, though it may be pretty improbable. Vandy is a school that's shown past willingness to admit eager, persistent waitlisters on rare occasions. I'd say a reverse splitter has a better shot at Vandy than at other schools in the T14-20 range. Retaking is almost always the universally wise advice in this situation, no one's disputing that.
Last edited by JOThompson on Mon Nov 08, 2010 10:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

whymeohgodno

Gold

Post by whymeohgodno » Mon Nov 08, 2010 10:00 pm

JOThompson wrote:
mst wrote:
As I said, it's not impossible, though it may be pretty improbable. Vandy is a school that's shown past willingness to admit eager, persistent waitlisters on rare occasions. I'd say a reverse splitter has a better shot at Vandy than at other schools in the T14 range. Retaking is almost always the universally wise advice in this situation, no one's disputing that.
This is false.

UVA ED for a reverse splitter= lock.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

JOThompson

Silver

Post by JOThompson » Mon Nov 08, 2010 10:05 pm

whymeohgodno wrote:
JOThompson wrote:
mst wrote:
As I said, it's not impossible, though it may be pretty improbable. Vandy is a school that's shown past willingness to admit eager, persistent waitlisters on rare occasions. I'd say a reverse splitter has a better shot at Vandy than at other schools in the T14 range. Retaking is almost always the universally wise advice in this situation, no one's disputing that.
This is false.

UVA ED for a reverse splitter= lock.
I wish people would quit seeking inferences that aren't extractable from my statements. The OP's question was in regard to Vandy. I merely stated why a reverse splitter might have a sliver of hope at Vandy over certain other T14 schools, not that Vandy is the best option in the range. Your statement might be true but it's not incompatible with mine. OP can apply ED to UVA and still throw apps at other schools from 14-20.
Last edited by JOThompson on Mon Nov 08, 2010 10:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

whymeohgodno

Gold

Post by whymeohgodno » Mon Nov 08, 2010 10:06 pm

JOThompson wrote:
mst wrote:

JOThompson

Silver

Post by JOThompson » Mon Nov 08, 2010 10:09 pm

whymeohgodno wrote:
JOThompson wrote:
mst wrote:
As I said, it's not impossible, though it may be pretty improbable. Vandy is a school that's shown past willingness to admit eager, persistent waitlisters on rare occasions. I'd say a reverse splitter has a better shot at Vandy than at other schools in the T14-T20 range. Retaking is almost always the universally wise advice in this situation, no one's disputing that.
What if the OP doesn't want to ED? Early Decision didn't even enter into the conversation until your suggestion, which may be a wise one, but is off topic. For a RD application, Vandy is still better than a number of other T14-T20 schools for reverse splitters.
Last edited by JOThompson on Mon Nov 08, 2010 10:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

whymeohgodno

Gold

Post by whymeohgodno » Mon Nov 08, 2010 10:10 pm

What if the OP doesn't want to ED? Early Decision didn't even enter into the conversation until your suggestion, which may be a wise one, but is off topic. For a RD application, Vandy is still better than a number of other T14 schools for reverse splitters.
OP never restricted applications to RD. I don't get what you are assuming this from.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

JOThompson

Silver

Post by JOThompson » Mon Nov 08, 2010 10:12 pm

whymeohgodno wrote:
What if the OP doesn't want to ED? Early Decision didn't even enter into the conversation until your suggestion, which may be a wise one, but is off topic. For a RD application, Vandy is still better than a number of other T14 schools for reverse splitters.
OP never restricted applications to RD. I don't get what you are assuming this from.
I made a statement about reverse splitter applications and why Vandy isn't an impossibility compared to other schools in the T14 (or even lower T20 I suppose). It was hardly readable as an absolute statement that Vanderbilt is the only viable option for the OP. In other words, there's no statement to deem false.

Last word I'll make: Your advice might be sound but it's not mutually exclusive from my comment on Vandy's stance on waitlisted reverse splitters. OP should by all means apply broadly.

whymeohgodno

Gold

Post by whymeohgodno » Mon Nov 08, 2010 10:16 pm

JOThompson wrote:
whymeohgodno wrote:
I made a statement about reverse splitter applications and why Vandy isn't an impossibility compared to other schools in the T14 (or even lower T20 I suppose). It was hardly readable as an absolute statement that Vanderbilt is the only viable option for the OP. In other words, there's no statement to deem false.

Last word I'll make: Your advice might be sound but it's not mutually exclusive from my comment on Vandy's stance on waitlisted reverse splitters. OP should by all means apply broadly.
Then your statement is worthless. Of course Vandy is easier to get into (for ANYONE not just reverse splitters) than some t14 schools. Exactly what does this knowledge contribute to the OP?

Bankhead

Silver

Post by Bankhead » Mon Nov 08, 2010 10:23 pm

I knew a guy a few years back, I used to go to happy hour with him, he got into Vandy with a 3.9 (4.0?), 161 -- off the waitlist. It's definitely worth the app.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

whymeohgodno

Gold

Post by whymeohgodno » Mon Nov 08, 2010 10:29 pm

Bankhead wrote:I knew a guy a few years back, I used to go to happy hour with him, he got into Vandy with a 3.9 (4.0?), 161 -- off the waitlist. It's definitely worth the app.
Vandy's medians have rised at an alarming pace over the last few years.

JOThompson

Silver

Post by JOThompson » Mon Nov 08, 2010 10:32 pm

whymeohgodno wrote:Then your statement is worthless. Of course Vandy is easier to get into (for ANYONE not just reverse splitters) than some t14 schools. Exactly what does this knowledge contribute to the OP?
I should've stated T14-T20, that's my error. Why don't you exercise your mental faculties and read further up the thread? My peer range statement was in response to a challenge about the possibility of a reverse splitter being admitted to Vanderbilt. God forbid that I answer the question of the thread. Maybe you're too dense to read. Look at the title of this thread: "Any Shot at Vanderbilt?" By all means, call me out for venturing an answer to the very purpose for which the thread was created.

whymeohgodno

Gold

Post by whymeohgodno » Mon Nov 08, 2010 10:33 pm

JOThompson wrote:
whymeohgodno wrote:Then your statement is worthless. Of course Vandy is easier to get into (for ANYONE not just reverse splitters) than some t14 schools. Exactly what does this knowledge contribute to the OP?
I should've stated T14-T20, that's my error. Why don't you exercise your mental faculties and read further up the thread? My peer range statement was in response to a challenge about the possibility of a reverse splitter being admitted to Vanderbilt. God forbid that I answer the question of the thread. Maybe you're too dense to read. Look at the title of this thread: "Any Shot at Vanderbilt?" By all means, call me out for venturing an answer to the very purpose for which the thread was created.
He has no realistic shot. If you think being waitlisted is a realistic shot then have fun.

JOThompson

Silver

Post by JOThompson » Mon Nov 08, 2010 10:37 pm

whymeohgodno wrote:He has no realistic shot. If you think being waitlisted is a realistic shot then have fun.
Did you fail reading comprehension on the LSAT?

How do you interpret "I wouldn't rule it out completely" as an assertion of a realistic shot?

See the numerous points where I suggested an LSAT retake. It would have been pointless to encourage another LSAT shot if he was competitive as is. All I've stated is that OP's application isn't an impossibility, if you're willing to consider the several stories by other TLS posters on the matter. Vanderbilt plays the numbers game well, no doubt, but that doesn't mean they don't admit a non-URM reverse splitter off the waitlist once in a blue moon.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”