Applying with Oct. LSAT; what to do with Dec. LSAT

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
shtolky
Posts: 30
Joined: Tue Oct 12, 2010 11:14 am

Applying with Oct. LSAT; what to do with Dec. LSAT

Postby shtolky » Mon Nov 08, 2010 6:39 pm

Hello all. I'm sure this topic has been beaten to death but I'm too lazy to do a search. This week I am applying to a few schools with my Oct. LSAT (165), but I am taking the December test. Certain schools I'm holding off on because the score is not sufficient for those schools. My question is...when I apply this week and I include my October score, do I say that I am taking the December exam? Will they still look at my app or will they simply cast it aside until the December score is reported?

Thanks for any help.

HowdyYall
Posts: 444
Joined: Thu Oct 28, 2010 8:49 pm

Re: Applying with Oct. LSAT; what to do with Dec. LSAT

Postby HowdyYall » Mon Nov 08, 2010 6:41 pm

wont matter what you say on the app. Most schools will not evaluate you with a looming LSAT; TRUST ME, i had this headache a few weeks ago

User avatar
lzyovrachievr
Posts: 1695
Joined: Fri Aug 07, 2009 10:24 am

Re: Applying with Oct. LSAT; what to do with Dec. LSAT

Postby lzyovrachievr » Mon Nov 08, 2010 6:54 pm

HowdyYall wrote:wont matter what you say on the app. Most schools will not evaluate you with a looming LSAT; TRUST ME, i had this headache a few weeks ago


This isn't necessarily true. Or at least, you should personally talk to the school and ask them to consider your app complete with the old score. I know that it worked for me.

See the FAQ: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=131727

Sandro
Posts: 2526
Joined: Sat Jul 18, 2009 12:12 am

Re: Applying with Oct. LSAT; what to do with Dec. LSAT

Postby Sandro » Mon Nov 08, 2010 6:56 pm

correct ^ You would be wise to tell them because you cannot assume they will. You can tell them to evaluate if you want but some schools might not even do it then.

User avatar
Grizz
Posts: 10583
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:31 pm

Re: Applying with Oct. LSAT; what to do with Dec. LSAT

Postby Grizz » Mon Nov 08, 2010 6:58 pm

Sandro777 wrote:correct ^ You would be wise to tell them because you cannot assume they will. You can tell them to evaluate if you want but some schools might not even do it then.


Right. Your best bet is to call the schools and see their individual policies.

shtolky
Posts: 30
Joined: Tue Oct 12, 2010 11:14 am

Re: Applying with Oct. LSAT; what to do with Dec. LSAT

Postby shtolky » Mon Nov 08, 2010 11:57 pm

But what if on my apps I just don't indicate that I'm taking it again. Why would a school wait for December LSAT if they don't know I'm taking it. If I get a better LSAT then either I will apply to other schools or I won't bother reporting it anywhere. Even if I got a new score, the old schools will have my app complete with the oct score, correct?

User avatar
im_blue
Posts: 3276
Joined: Sun Apr 12, 2009 3:53 am

Re: Applying with Oct. LSAT; what to do with Dec. LSAT

Postby im_blue » Mon Nov 08, 2010 11:58 pm

Doesn't matter if you leave it off the app - your LSAC report indicates that you're registered for the Dec. LSAT. Even if they didn't notice that, once you get a Dec. score, updated LSAC reports are automatically sent to all law schools you've applied to, which means you're busted.

shtolky
Posts: 30
Joined: Tue Oct 12, 2010 11:14 am

Re: Applying with Oct. LSAT; what to do with Dec. LSAT

Postby shtolky » Tue Nov 09, 2010 12:12 am

Busted has nothing to do with it, I just want to make sure schools i apply to now will look at the app now. What they do later on is fine. If the score is better, great; let them report it to those schools. Also I'll apply to new schools using the new score. It can't hurt me to have a dec LSAT pending when applying today right? As long as they don't wait, which would defeat the purpose of applying now.

whymeohgodno
Posts: 2508
Joined: Mon Jul 19, 2010 8:15 pm

Re: Applying with Oct. LSAT; what to do with Dec. LSAT

Postby whymeohgodno » Tue Nov 09, 2010 12:23 am

shtolky wrote:Busted has nothing to do with it, I just want to make sure schools i apply to now will look at the app now. What they do later on is fine. If the score is better, great; let them report it to those schools. Also I'll apply to new schools using the new score. It can't hurt me to have a dec LSAT pending when applying today right? As long as they don't wait, which would defeat the purpose of applying now.


They wait.

ATR
Posts: 1119
Joined: Sun Oct 03, 2010 9:18 pm

Re: Applying with Oct. LSAT; what to do with Dec. LSAT

Postby ATR » Tue Nov 09, 2010 12:59 am

I have the same issue. I emailed a lot of schools, and most said they will hold as long as you follow-up your application submission with an emailed request for them to hold.

shtolky
Posts: 30
Joined: Tue Oct 12, 2010 11:14 am

Re: Applying with Oct. LSAT; what to do with Dec. LSAT

Postby shtolky » Tue Nov 09, 2010 1:00 am

But if you say nothing then they will just review immediately, right?

ATR
Posts: 1119
Joined: Sun Oct 03, 2010 9:18 pm

Re: Applying with Oct. LSAT; what to do with Dec. LSAT

Postby ATR » Tue Nov 09, 2010 1:01 am

shtolky wrote:But if you say nothing then they will just review immediately, right?

Yes; if they ask you to request a hold, the implication of not doing so seems to be that they'll review.

shtolky
Posts: 30
Joined: Tue Oct 12, 2010 11:14 am

Re: Applying with Oct. LSAT; what to do with Dec. LSAT

Postby shtolky » Tue Nov 09, 2010 10:46 am

Well, to make sure, I called the schools I was applying to in NYC. Spoke with every school except Columbia which I am not applying to. They all said that if I applied now with my October score and have a pending LSAT, they will review the app now with the October score unless I indicate I want it held. If they offer you an option to let them know if you have a pending LSAT, simply leave it blank and they will review. They will get the December score but only take the higher one, so that's good news for me.

bjc314
Posts: 65
Joined: Thu Sep 02, 2010 11:20 pm

Re: Applying with Oct. LSAT; what to do with Dec. LSAT

Postby bjc314 » Tue Nov 09, 2010 3:17 pm

I would contact the schools. I'm in a similar situation, and I know several I've spoken to, at which I'm well above the medians with my current score, said they likely wouldn't be making many offers until January anyways.




Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Baidu [Spider], TripTrip, Yahoo [Bot] and 3 guests