CLS Essay Length

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
JoeShmoe11

CLS Essay Length

Postby JoeShmoe11 » Mon Nov 08, 2010 4:26 pm

Hello everyone. I'm just putting the finishing touches on my Columbia Law School ED Essay and would like to have everything sent out tomorrow. Problem is that I cannot seem to cut it down to 2 pages. In its entirety it seems like it is going to end up being about 2.5 pages. I've considered two solutions to this problem (one of them isn't really a solution): decreasing the font size to 10 and just sending it in as-is at 2.5 pages. How strongly would you all suggest against each of these options? I've tried cutting the essay down in length but to cut down any more would require significant rewriting, something I may not have the time for.

Thank you!

lzyovrachievr

Re: CLS Essay Length

Postby lzyovrachievr » Mon Nov 08, 2010 4:29 pm

Cut it down to 2. At 11 pt font. With 1 inch margins.

Do the rules say 2 pages?

JoeShmoe11

Postby JoeShmoe11 » Mon Nov 08, 2010 5:26 pm

They say, and I quote, "While there is no official page limit, a good guideline is two double-spaced pages, using readable fonts and margins. Your personal statement/essay should be clear, concise and an example of your best writing. It should also be free from spelling and grammatical errors." So there is really no official limit. They obviously seem to suggest 2 pages and merely suggest a readable font (which 10pt certainly is) so I'm thinking it might be okay to do 10pt? They do also mention beign concise, however.

lzyovrachievr

Postby lzyovrachievr » Mon Nov 08, 2010 5:29 pm

Nope, 11 pt is readable. And if they say 2 pages, they mean 2 pages. Anyone else here will tell you to cut it down. You can cut it, even if it's painful. People have recounted all kinds of stories successfully in those pages. Part of what they want to see is good judgment and the ability to write concisely and economize with your expression and words.

JoeShmoe11

Postby JoeShmoe11 » Mon Nov 08, 2010 5:40 pm

I understand with what you're saying and I realize that you are absolutely right. However, 12pt is standard not 11pt. Why do you suggest 11pt?

lzyovrachievr

Postby lzyovrachievr » Mon Nov 08, 2010 5:44 pm

Many applications add a little note after they say it must be a readable font, noting that 11 pt is readable. So I'm basing it off of that.

Any time an application specifies, it has always been to say 'at least 11 pt', in my experience.

I added that because I'd assume you'd like at least a little extra room. That's really the only time that schools say it's okay to add a modification. I mean, normally you need to be 1 inch all around, 12 pt font, double spaced (no fudging). But they're okay with the font modification.

JoeShmoe11

Postby JoeShmoe11 » Mon Nov 08, 2010 5:46 pm

lzyovrachievr wrote:Many applications add a little note after they say it must be a readable font, noting that 11 pt is readable. So I'm basing it off of that.

Any time an application specifies, it has always been to say 'at least 11 pt', in my experience.

I added that because I'd assume you'd like at least a little extra room. That's really the only time that schools say it's okay to add a modification. I mean, normally you need to be 1 inch all around, 12 pt font, double spaced (no fudging). But they're okay with the font modification.

I'm definitely going to take your advice then and shrink it to 11pt while keeping it down to 2 pages. After some thorough scientific testing on my part (IE printing the same thing in 12pt and 11pt and 10pt and trying to read them) I can safely say 11pt is readable. 10pt is harder but certainly readable but I'd rather not strain the eyes of the adcomms that have to read 9001 essays. Thanks for your help!

lzyovrachievr

Postby lzyovrachievr » Mon Nov 08, 2010 5:55 pm

Welcome. Yea, your audience is likely to be older and will probably not appreciate straining!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”