In Search of Assistance

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
to_the_point

In Search of Assistance

Postby to_the_point » Mon Nov 08, 2010 1:06 pm

Hello! My goal is to apply for next cycle. After doing some calculations, it looks as if I am going to have a fairly low LSAC GPA. I considered staying in school an extra semester in order to give myself a boost. However, I am only a few credits short of finishing my UG degree. I should be able to graduate sometime in the summer. I do have several retakes on my UG transcript but, my UG GPA is going to be much higher than my LSAC GPA

A family member suggested that I just graduate in the summer, get a job, and go to graduate school. I am seriously considering this option. Taking extra classes is not going to increase my LSAC GPA but so much. Plus, I am really ready to be finished with my undergrad.

I would like some advice on what I can do to improve my standing with adcomms despite a low LSAC GPA. Will my work experience give me a boost? By scoring well on the GMAT for graduate school have any impact? Will softs help at all? How much does an addendum for a low GPA actually help? What LSAT score should I shoot for in order to get into a decent law school?

Advice is needed and very welcomed. Please and thank you.

trudat15

Re: In Search of Assistance

Postby trudat15 » Mon Nov 08, 2010 2:05 pm

What is your GPA, and if you stayed an extra semester and got all A's, what would it be.

Your softs wont matter much.

nealric

Postby nealric » Mon Nov 08, 2010 2:08 pm

A good LSAT can offset a poor GPA.

Keep taking the LSAT until you have scored in the 170s or taken at least 3 times. Over 100 hours of studying should precede each attempt.

to_the_point

Postby to_the_point » Mon Nov 08, 2010 2:44 pm

@trudat15: My estimated LSAC is less than a 3.0 and my UG is 3.7. Would the extra semester really help?

@nealric: I am trying to create a good LSAT Prep schedule now and thinking I might use PowerScore. I have, give or take, six months to prep. I plan to take the June LSAT.

txadv11

Postby txadv11 » Mon Nov 08, 2010 4:05 pm

I stayed an extra semester just like you are considering. Don't do this unless it will significantly impact your GPA (and you can really afford the financial side) Don't count on retaking and making all A's unless your certain you can do that.

plenipotentiary

Postby plenipotentiary » Mon Nov 08, 2010 4:13 pm

Do everything you can to get your GPA to 3.0. Then study your ass off for the LSAT. Going to graduate school will not help you get into law school.

paratactical

Postby paratactical » Mon Nov 08, 2010 4:14 pm

If you can get your LSAC GPA over 3.0 with more classes, you should definitely take them. The difference between 3.0 and 2.9 seems to be pretty big.

to_the_point

Postby to_the_point » Tue Nov 09, 2010 10:05 pm

Could the GPA predictor on LSP be just a little off or is it usually accurate?

I know extra classes would being me up but I don't know if I can afford an extra semester. The tuition at my school is going up and I would loose some scholly money for staying in UG longer. This is frustrating! It feels as if you get punished for not being academically perfect. The really ironic thing is that I know students with higher GPAs than mine who don't even remember what they learn from class to class or how to apply it in the real world.

Anyway, I might as well move on. I am going to look into the costs for doing an extra semester and see how well I do on the LSAT.

Does anyone know what LSAT score I would need to get into a good school?

4for44

Postby 4for44 » Tue Nov 09, 2010 10:08 pm

to_the_point wrote:Could the GPA predictor on LSP be just a little off or is it usually accurate?

I know extra classes would being me up but I don't know if I can afford an extra semester. The tuition at my school is going up and I would loose some scholly money for staying in UG longer. This is frustrating! It feels as if you get punished for not being academically perfect. The really ironic thing is that I know students with higher GPAs than mine who don't even remember what they learn from class to class or how to apply it in the real world.

Anyway, I might as well move on. I am going to look into the costs for doing an extra semester and see how well I do on the LSAT.

Does anyone know what LSAT score I would need to get into a good school?

Its 100% correct if you use it right...

Saltqjibo

Postby Saltqjibo » Tue Nov 09, 2010 10:41 pm

if you come to canada they will take your best 2 years. something to think about. there are good schools here (U of T, UBC, Osgoode, McGill)

to_the_point

Postby to_the_point » Tue Nov 09, 2010 11:03 pm

4for44 wrote:Its 100% correct if you use it right...

Then I pray I am using it wrong. Lol

AreJay711

Postby AreJay711 » Tue Nov 09, 2010 11:30 pm

to_the_point wrote:
4for44 wrote:Its 100% correct if you use it right...

Then I pray I am using it wrong. Lol

Thats a big difference. You know LSAC pretty much just takes you GPA as your UG gives it to them (W are punitive or non-punitive based on UG, retakes are averaged or replaced based on how your UG does it ... etc). Why the large discrepancy?

And Canadian schools just takes your best 2 years? Slackers lol.

to_the_point

Postby to_the_point » Wed Nov 10, 2010 1:13 am

So, if my UG keeps retakes on my transcript but does not add them in my final GPA then, what does that mean for my LSAC GPA?

I seriously do not think I am doing LPS right.

I never thought of Canadian law schools. How do they compare to those in the U.S.?

im_blue

Postby im_blue » Wed Nov 10, 2010 4:36 am

to_the_point wrote:So, if my UG keeps retakes on my transcript but does not add them in my final GPA then, what does that mean for my LSAC GPA?

Nothing, LSAC doesn't care how your UG treats retakes. As long as both grades appear on the transcript (original and retake), LSAC will count both grades as if they were separate classes.

If you can raise your LSAC GPA above 3.0 by graduation, and get a fairly decent LSAT score (at least 165+), then go for it. Otherwise, I would look into grad school options.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”