Good Softs!?@!@!?help me win??

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
gamblera
Posts: 28
Joined: Sat Jun 19, 2010 11:33 pm

Good Softs!?@!@!?help me win??

Postby gamblera » Mon Nov 08, 2010 12:08 pm

thanks for opinions/advice.

no need for more replies
Last edited by gamblera on Mon Nov 08, 2010 7:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Knock
Posts: 5152
Joined: Wed Jun 10, 2009 3:09 pm

Re: Good Softs!?@!@!?help me win??

Postby Knock » Mon Nov 08, 2010 12:09 pm

gamblera wrote:I understand that the common perception held here on tls concerning softs is that they dont matter. My question is whether yall think mine will hold some weight in the application process

Sorensen Institute at UVa, CLP grad

sa in investment research at investment bank think GS/JPM

Financial assistant for a public entity, analyzed data/econ trends/made significant contributions in the office/helped write parts of the bi-annual budget document, which won several rewards

Clerk for us attorney's office

Intern in house of delegates for state.

My main concern is my gpa, which is in the low 3.0 range. I am an econ major, math minor. i'll hopefully be taking some graduate econ class before i graduate next year. Also I took my first practice test, without previously studying. I scored 160 range. I bought some books and will improve this.

I am looking to attend columbia, uva (instate), and harvard. Will my work experience (the only program that i didnt receive pay for is the intern and the uva program) make up for my low gpa?? Does my work experience give me a better shot at NW, i heard they like work experience.


No, retake. And lower expectations your are not getting Harvard, and likely not Columbia. Best shot is to get a 170+ and ED to UVA.

User avatar
Veyron
Posts: 3598
Joined: Fri Jan 08, 2010 3:50 am

Re: Good Softs!?@!@!?help me win??

Postby Veyron » Mon Nov 08, 2010 12:10 pm

These are not good softs.

User avatar
The Gentleman
Posts: 670
Joined: Fri Jul 02, 2010 12:25 am

Re: Good Softs!?@!@!?help me win??

Postby The Gentleman » Mon Nov 08, 2010 12:17 pm

Spend the next 3-5 months either curing cancer or studying for the LSAT. Take your pick.

gamblera wrote:Does my work experience give me a better shot at NW, i heard they like work experience.


They like post-UG full-time WE. Your WE amounts to a bunch of internships.

User avatar
St.Remy
Posts: 526
Joined: Sun Aug 29, 2010 10:12 pm

Re: Good Softs!?@!@!?help me win??

Postby St.Remy » Mon Nov 08, 2010 12:21 pm

Veyron wrote:These are not good softs.


To be fair they aren't bad softs either, it's just that they won't do anything to overcome that horrible GPA/LSAT combo.

User avatar
4for44
Posts: 209
Joined: Sat Mar 13, 2010 4:05 pm

Re: Good Softs!?@!@!?help me win??

Postby 4for44 » Mon Nov 08, 2010 12:25 pm

St.Remy wrote:
Veyron wrote:These are not good softs.


To be fair they aren't bad softs either, it's just that they won't do anything to overcome that horrible GPA/LSAT combo.


This- they may be above average softs at best, but they will not pull up a sub 3.5 gpa... Knock's right, lower your expectations, kill they LSAT, and pray your alma mater will keep you on for another 3 years...

gamblera
Posts: 28
Joined: Sat Jun 19, 2010 11:33 pm

Re: Good Softs!?@!@!?help me win??

Postby gamblera » Mon Nov 08, 2010 7:46 pm

about my gpa:
3.8 after freshman year.
during last semester (spring, soph year) about a month before exams I had to leave school to care for father. he was hit in a drunk driving accident. b/c the accident he lost ability to speak and depending on the position of his head he would immediately faint. b/c it was very close to semesters end i could n't withdraw from classes.
I have written an addendum, which has worked with the programs i have listed along with some schollies.

does this change my situation at all/??

this semester, I'm looking at nothing lower than a 3.5 this semester.


edit: i was planning on applying after my junior year. would it be worth waiting until after senior year for an extra few points on my gpa?
Last edited by gamblera on Mon Nov 08, 2010 7:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Knock
Posts: 5152
Joined: Wed Jun 10, 2009 3:09 pm

Re: Good Softs!?@!@!?help me win??

Postby Knock » Mon Nov 08, 2010 7:47 pm

gamblera wrote:about my gpa:
3.8 after freshman year.
during last semester (spring, soph year) about a month before exams I had to leave school to care for father. he was hit in a drunk driving accident. b/c the accident he lost ability to speak and depending on the position of his head he would immediately faint. b/c it was very close to semesters end i could n't withdraw from classes.
I have written an addendum, which has worked with the programs i have listed along with some schollies.

does this change my situation at all/??

this semester, I'm looking at nothing lower than a 3.5 this semester.


No. See my earlier post.

gamblera
Posts: 28
Joined: Sat Jun 19, 2010 11:33 pm

Re: Good Softs!?@!@!?help me win??

Postby gamblera » Mon Nov 08, 2010 7:52 pm

cool thanks. my prep starts net week. looking back at taking the preptest, i can say most of my wrong answers were due to timing.

thanks for the quick reply, knock.

User avatar
Knock
Posts: 5152
Joined: Wed Jun 10, 2009 3:09 pm

Re: Good Softs!?@!@!?help me win??

Postby Knock » Mon Nov 08, 2010 7:54 pm

gamblera wrote:cool thanks. my prep starts net week. looking back at taking the preptest, i can say most of my wrong answers were due to timing.

thanks for the quick reply, knock.


Np, study hard and rock the LSAT. Best of luck!

User avatar
Pleasye
Posts: 7967
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 4:22 pm

Re: Good Softs!?@!@!?help me win??

Postby Pleasye » Mon Nov 08, 2010 8:31 pm

didn't you just post another thread saying you're a URM? The same advice still stands but changes your chances a bit.

gamblera
Posts: 28
Joined: Sat Jun 19, 2010 11:33 pm

Re: Good Softs!?@!@!?help me win??

Postby gamblera » Mon Nov 08, 2010 8:33 pm

i posted this first. then posted on urm board to see if they could give me any insight.

wasn't trying to spam, just looking for advice from two separate groups.

whymeohgodno
Posts: 2508
Joined: Mon Jul 19, 2010 8:15 pm

Re: Good Softs!?@!@!?help me win??

Postby whymeohgodno » Mon Nov 08, 2010 8:39 pm

LSpleaseee wrote:didn't you just post another thread saying you're a URM? The same advice still stands but changes your chances a bitlot.

User avatar
Pleasye
Posts: 7967
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 4:22 pm

Re: Good Softs!?@!@!?help me win??

Postby Pleasye » Mon Nov 08, 2010 9:36 pm

gamblera wrote:i posted this first. then posted on urm board to see if they could give me any insight.

wasn't trying to spam, just looking for advice from two separate groups.

Sorry I wasn't calling you out. I was just trying to give the people posting more info about you. Being an AA (male?) makes your chances at the schools you listed before a possibility.

You should still follow the advice everyone gave before:
1. Get your GPA up as much as possible. Maybe wait until after senior year to apply so it can be as high as possible (this is what I did and my GPA is significantly higher than it would've been applying during junior year).

2. Study as much as possible for the LSAT and rock it.

3. Get your score and then come back so people can give you actual advice with your actual GPA and actual LSAT in mind.




Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: airwrecka, azaleafire, Bing [Bot], CHyde, hiltopp01, hogscienceavatarlost, lawcapture, Mr. Bubbles, ponderingmeerkat and 11 guests