Recommendations Advice

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
ktaraq

Recommendations Advice

Postby ktaraq » Mon Nov 08, 2010 12:07 pm

Argh, so I think I might have misstepped with the recommendations process. Right now, I have a recommendation letter from a top elected official, a former boss, and from the ED of a nonprofit I heavily volunteer for. I've been reading more about what recommenders I should have chosen, and they all say to pick a professor. I have a professor from college who was basically my mentor, was her research assistant, and took two classes with her (As) and I've only been a year and a half out. Should I ask her and have 4 recommendations? Ugh really don't want to do. Advice please...

Lwoods

Re: Recommendations Advice

Postby Lwoods » Mon Nov 08, 2010 2:07 pm

Yes; get a LOR from her. You don't have to assign all four to every school. In fact, I imagine it's best to provide the recommended number. Think of it as just giving yourself more options.

QuailMan

Postby QuailMan » Mon Nov 08, 2010 2:28 pm

If you've only been out 1 1/2 years (I assume that means you graduated class of 09), you should have at least one letter from a prof.

Does the "top elected official" really know you that well? Did he/she write it or was it an assitant. If you dont know that person well enough that they could speak specifically about you, it is useless. Law schools wont be impressed by who you know, they want to know what you did and if that's the case, I'd think you should just dump that letter and get one from a prof.

ktaraq

Postby ktaraq » Mon Nov 08, 2010 3:25 pm

Ok I already registered my recommenders on LSAT and thinking that I would submit all the original three to all of the schools I apply. Is there no way of changing that now? Can I call LSAC to change that? Eeek.

Lwoods

Postby Lwoods » Mon Nov 08, 2010 3:27 pm

ktaraq wrote:Ok I already registered my recommenders on LSAT and thinking that I would submit all the original three to all of the schools I apply. Is there no way of changing that now? Can I call LSAC to change that? Eeek.

You can have as many letter writers as you'd like on LSAC, not all go to all schools. You'll assign the letters by school once you start applications and/or add schools to your list. It's definitely not too late to change unless you've already submitted all of your applications. Then it depends if they're in review already and whether or not you want to go through the hassle of submitting another letter.

ktaraq

Postby ktaraq » Mon Nov 08, 2010 3:29 pm

If that was unclear, on the website, it does not allow me to change where the letters go except for what I originally put down which is all law schools. I didn't know where I was going to apply, so I just entered that in and now I can't change it on the LOR page.

ktaraq

Postby ktaraq » Mon Nov 08, 2010 3:35 pm

Lwoods wrote:
ktaraq wrote:Ok I already registered my recommenders on LSAT and thinking that I would submit all the original three to all of the schools I apply. Is there no way of changing that now? Can I call LSAC to change that? Eeek.

You can have as many letter writers as you'd like on LSAC, not all go to all schools. You'll assign the letters by school once you start applications and/or add schools to your list. It's definitely not too late to change unless you've already submitted all of your applications. Then it depends if they're in review already and whether or not you want to go through the hassle of submitting another letter.

Oh okay, phew. Sounds like I'm okay. Just will have to get in touch with my old professor ASAP!

Lwoods

Postby Lwoods » Mon Nov 08, 2010 3:37 pm

ktaraq wrote:If that was unclear, on the website, it does not allow me to change where the letters go except for what I originally put down which is all law schools. I didn't know where I was going to apply, so I just entered that in and now I can't change it on the LOR page.

That's strange... I don't see that option. You don't see an "Assign" button in the far right column next to the schools on your list? Or are you just talking about the title of the LOR, because that doesn't matter; it can say "For All Law Schools" and not actually be assigned to all of them.

ktaraq

Postby ktaraq » Mon Nov 08, 2010 3:52 pm

Lwoods wrote:
ktaraq wrote:If that was unclear, on the website, it does not allow me to change where the letters go except for what I originally put down which is all law schools. I didn't know where I was going to apply, so I just entered that in and now I can't change it on the LOR page.

That's strange... I don't see that option. You don't see an "Assign" button in the far right column next to the schools on your list? Or are you just talking about the title of the LOR, because that doesn't matter; it can say "For All Law Schools" and not actually be assigned to all of them.

That's what I was talking about. I haven't added any schools yet so that's probably why I thought I couldn't change it. Thank you!!

plenipotentiary

Postby plenipotentiary » Mon Nov 08, 2010 3:54 pm

Get the one from the professor, drop the one from the "elected official." It doesn't matter how famous the person is if they don't really know you.

ktaraq

Postby ktaraq » Tue Nov 09, 2010 12:27 pm

plenipotentiary wrote:Get the one from the professor, drop the one from the "elected official." It doesn't matter how famous the person is if they don't really know you.

Okay so my professor agreed to write the letter (I know that was fast)! When should I have her submit it by since I know it's already getting late? Latest by the first week of december? I want to get my apps out before the holidays at the latest.

plenipotentiary

Postby plenipotentiary » Tue Nov 09, 2010 12:38 pm

ktaraq wrote:
plenipotentiary wrote:Get the one from the professor, drop the one from the "elected official." It doesn't matter how famous the person is if they don't really know you.

Okay so my professor agreed to write the letter (I know that was fast)! When should I have her submit it by since I know it's already getting late? Latest by the first week of december? I want to get my apps out before the holidays at the latest.

ASAP.

kroger03

Postby kroger03 » Tue Nov 09, 2010 1:03 pm

Lwoods wrote:Yes; get a LOR from her. You don't have to assign all four to every school. In fact, I imagine it's best to provide the recommended number. Think of it as just giving yourself more options.

Some schools, like GW and Pitt, recommend 0 letters of recommendation, but they accept them. Should I really send out apps to these schools with no letters because it says they recommend 0 on LSAC?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”