Sudy abroad transcripts

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
bdubs

Sudy abroad transcripts

Postby bdubs » Sun Nov 07, 2010 9:22 pm

I just noticed that both Stanford and Columbia seem to indicate that they want study abroad transcripts. LSAC didn't want/require them for me, so I don't have them.

Anyone out there have Columbia, Stanford or any other school request study abroad transcripts from them outside of the LSAC system?
Last edited by bdubs on Sun Nov 07, 2010 9:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sophia.olive

Re: Sudy abroad transcripts

Postby sophia.olive » Sun Nov 07, 2010 9:33 pm

bump

kazu

Postby kazu » Sun Nov 07, 2010 9:51 pm

Where does it say that Stanford, Columbia etc require study abroad transcripts? Link please if you can. I don't remember reading that, and I went complete at both places w/o it.

bdubs

Postby bdubs » Sun Nov 07, 2010 9:57 pm

kazu wrote:Where does it say that Stanford, Columbia etc require study abroad transcripts? Link please if you can. I don't remember reading that, and I went complete at both places w/o it.

http://blogs.law.columbia.edu/admissions/

"Transcripts
Many of you have taken advantage of the exciting opportunities that studying abroad offers. We value this experience and would appreciate the inclusion of the resulting grades in your application. If you don’t, we might ask for it, but that only slows down the process and delays our ultimate response to you. The same is true for fall grades – send them in as soon as they become available."

Stanford has a box in their requirements checklist for study abroad transcript. I didn't include one but I was still marked complete and there was a check in that box.

kazu

Postby kazu » Sun Nov 07, 2010 10:02 pm

bdubs wrote:
kazu wrote:Where does it say that Stanford, Columbia etc require study abroad transcripts? Link please if you can. I don't remember reading that, and I went complete at both places w/o it.

http://blogs.law.columbia.edu/admissions/

"Transcripts
Many of you have taken advantage of the exciting opportunities that studying abroad offers. We value this experience and would appreciate the inclusion of the resulting grades in your application. If you don’t, we might ask for it, but that only slows down the process and delays our ultimate response to you. The same is true for fall grades – send them in as soon as they become available."

Stanford has a box in their requirements checklist for study abroad transcript. I didn't include one but I was still marked complete and there was a check in that box.

Hmm, my grades show up on my home institution's transcripts pretty clearly (exchange school's name is stated and all), so I think that would be enough. It doesn't really say that you need one issued directly from your study abroad institution.

mr_toad

Postby mr_toad » Sun Nov 07, 2010 10:06 pm

This is something I'm a little worried about myself. I studied abroad in a country where at the time there was no office that issued a transcript; each professor gave you two copies of a grade sheet for the class at the end of the quarter, and then I brought those home and had to defend each class to the grade transfer committee (even though through direct exchange). Needless to say, not a lot of fun, and I don't imagine it will go over very well if a school asks for a transcript from the abroad institution and I have to answer "Yeah, they don't do transcripts." Wut? I can't wait... :?

bdubs

Postby bdubs » Sun Nov 07, 2010 10:10 pm

kazu wrote:Hmm, my grades show up on my home institution's transcripts pretty clearly (exchange school's name is stated and all), so I think that would be enough. It doesn't really say that you need one issued directly from your study abroad institution.

My school (and lots of others I think) treat study abroad courses as transferred credits. Grades for transferred credits don't show up on my transcript. They don't show up in my GPA either. I was abroad for a year, so I am worried they might come asking for transcripts that I don't have. I think I am going to order a copy now, just in case.

kazu

Postby kazu » Sun Nov 07, 2010 10:11 pm

Also, for Stanford it says "if applicable" It also has
"Graduate Transcript (if applicable)
Study Abroad Transcript (if applicable)
Misconduct Explanation (if applicable)
Letter of Good Standing (if applicable)"
If you have a checkmark next to all of these I'm pretty sure that means that you've fulfilled the requirements. (I highly doubt that you sent in all 4 items)

mr_toad

Postby mr_toad » Sun Nov 07, 2010 10:16 pm

I'm not sure how mine will be looked at. Each course that I transferred in was given specific course credit based on our undergraduate course catalog. Therefore, I'm assuming it shows up on the transcript. I suppose I should have taken a look... oh well. Anyone think I should e-mail a test school (one I'm less interested in, say... edit: removed :shock: ) and ask them what they would recommend? Or just wait it out and see if a school requests more info... ? I studied abroad for a whole year in undergrad and graduate school, so this is a fairly significant chunk of my academic record (2/7 years).

kazu

Postby kazu » Sun Nov 07, 2010 10:20 pm

mr_toad wrote:I'm not sure how mine will be looked at. Each course that I transferred in was given specific course credit based on our undergraduate course catalog. Therefore, I'm assuming it shows up on the transcript. I suppose I should have taken a look... oh well. Anyone think I should e-mail a test school (one I'm less interested in, say... edit: removed :shock: ) and ask them what they would recommend? Or just wait it out and see if a school requests more info... ? I studied abroad for a whole year in undergrad and graduate school, so this is a fairly significant chunk of my academic record (2/7 years).

If this is an instance where a specific school requires transcripts that LSAC didn't ask for, that school will be the exception not the norm, and asking a different school probably won't help. If you're that worried I'd just call the relevant school and ask, I don't see why/how it could hurt your app.

mr_toad

Postby mr_toad » Sun Nov 07, 2010 10:22 pm

Thanks. It seems like in most cases the schools in question will contact you and ask, but I do imagine that might send you to the bottom of the pile while it's being resolved. I should probably get pro-active on this. Good advice.

rockspaperjesus

Postby rockspaperjesus » Mon Nov 08, 2010 3:51 pm

don't know if this will help anyone but i called columbia about this recently and they told me that if the grades you received abroad were considered transfer grades at your ug and didnt contribute to your gpa, a transcript is helpful but not necessary. a study abroad transcript is only necessary if the grades you received while abroad were applied toward matriculation at the host institution...not totally positive about what this means but i thought i'd share the information

mr_toad

Postby mr_toad » Mon Nov 08, 2010 3:58 pm

Thanks for the insight. I'm still trying to figure out exactly what it means (the second part), but I'm guessing it just means that if we weren't studying abroad toward a degree at that institution, then we don't need a transcript (in accordance with LSAC which says up to one year abroad = no transcript necessary if noted on degree-granting institution transcript, or something like that).

rockspaperjesus

Postby rockspaperjesus » Mon Nov 08, 2010 4:04 pm

mr_toad wrote:Thanks for the insight. I'm still trying to figure out exactly what it means (the second part), but I'm guessing it just means that if we weren't studying abroad toward a degree at that institution, then we don't need a transcript (in accordance with LSAC which says up to one year abroad = no transcript necessary if noted on degree-granting institution transcript, or something like that).

I'm really hoping it isn't necessary..I knew that my study abroad grades wouldn’t show up on my transcript or affect my gpa so I spent more time traveling than studying…They aren’t bad but they are a bit lower than my non-abroad grades. Seems more complicated than it should be.

dowon

Postby dowon » Tue Nov 09, 2010 1:36 am

I spent one (or two) semesters studying at an international institution on an independent basis—i.e., not through a study-abroad program—and the credits were transferred to my degree-granting college in the US. LSAC says I don’t need to send along that transcript. But do you want to see it?
Your file will be considered complete in our office once we receive your CAS report, which will include all transcripts required by LSAC. So the short answer is, no; it is not necessary to send us any transcripts that LSAC doesn’t require. However, our reviewers prefer to have as much information as possible when reviewing an application, especially in cases where there are courses taken (and perhaps grades earned) that will not appear on the degree-granting transcript. (With a formal study-abroad program, we get more information than a simple listing of total credits transferred.) If our reviewers read your application and have unanswered questions about your time spent at a foreign institution, that conceivably could have a negative effect on the decision. Other schools are likely to have a similar take—so if you decide you would like us to see your foreign transcript, we suggest that you send it to LSAC, rather than to our office. That way, it will be included as an attachment to your CAS report for all law schools to which you are applying.

Reading this thread, I starting researching other schools and Michigan FAQ says although not required, not sending a transcript could reflect poorly. Does anyone have any experience with this? Have people who have not sent it in been denied solely because of it? I am wondering because it's a bit difficult to get my foreign transcript sent to LSAC without being there to pay the school registrar...

bostonian

Postby bostonian » Tue Nov 09, 2010 1:41 am

http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=136936

I didn't send mine initially. None of the schools I applied to cared, except Columbia. They specifically asked for it.

mr_toad

Postby mr_toad » Tue Nov 09, 2010 11:11 am

-In reply to my query for information regarding study abroad transcripts:

"Thank you for your interest in Columbia Law School. Our application requires transcripts from any school where you matriculated towards a degree. We will not require transcripts from a study abroad program where you were not enrolled as a degree seeking student at the international institution. However, the Admissions Committee appreciates seeing the grades from study abroad programs in order to get a better picture of the candidate's academic history."

I am definitely outing myself to Columbia here, but I think this might help. Just received it in the last 24 hours.

And thank you CLS Admissions, that was very helpful :D

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”