TOEFL requirement at Duke, please critique addendum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
s254w

TOEFL requirement at Duke, please critique addendum

Postby s254w » Sun Nov 07, 2010 7:41 pm

Subject says it all:

I took the TOEFL 6 years ago during my graduate school application process, scoring a 296 out of a possible 300. That score has obviously expired. Most law schools waive TOEFL requirements for international applicants with a graduate degree from the United States, so I contacted the admissions office at Duke to plead my case. I explained my situation: I am bilingual, and my undergraduate degree, though from a university in [country], was in English. Prior to that, I was educated in the British high school system, and completed my GCE O and A levels from the University of Cambridge. I have been pursuing a Ph.D. at [US University] for the past four and a half years, and completed a Master’s of Science degree from the same institution before that. The admissions office at Duke has told me I do not need to take the TOEFL, but that it would be a good idea to include an addendum.
I would like to clarify that my only hesitation in retaking this test is the significant delay it would cause in the completion of my JD application at this point. I would be extremely grateful if my application could be considered without an updated TOEFL score. I am attaching a copy of my expired TOEFL score, as it does demonstrate my English language ability at the point when I first moved to the United States. I am hopeful you will agree that my English language skills could only have improved in 6 years of living in [city].

s254w

Re: TOEFL requirement at Duke, please critique addendum

Postby s254w » Sun Nov 07, 2010 8:21 pm

Anyone?

Just want to know if this sounds like I'm making excuses. I'm just annoyed that I might have to take this dumb test and potentially delay my app a month.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”