LSAT addenda?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
ksimon2007

LSAT addenda?

Postby ksimon2007 » Sun Nov 07, 2010 4:11 pm

My SAT was below average, but I have done fairly well academically (3.52, upward trend) and even serve as SGA President at my institution. Should I write an LSAT (158) addendum to my application? I will be writing a personal statement and diversity statement (AA male) with an interesting background, but I have given little thought to writing an LSAT addendum.

bigwillie

Re: LSAT addenda?

Postby bigwillie » Sun Nov 07, 2010 4:20 pm

I have a feeling that most people on here are going to tell you to retake. If you can study and retake in December and score 165+ you will easily have a shot at the t14. If you actually have a reason to write an addendum, like you were seriously ill when you took the test or something else happened to affect your performance, then write one, but I doubt it will have much, if any, weight when schools consider your score. Additionally, if it is the case that there were circumstances that made you under-perform on test day, then you should probably retake anyway. A 158 isn't a "bad" score, adcoms won't consider it anything other than what it is, even with a history of below average standardized test performance.

whymeohgodno

Postby whymeohgodno » Sun Nov 07, 2010 4:23 pm

NO, seriously stop with these "I'm a bad standardized test taker addendum".

It won't work.

ksimon2007

Postby ksimon2007 » Sun Nov 07, 2010 4:39 pm

bigwillie wrote:I have a feeling that most people on here are going to tell you to retake. If you can study and retake in December and score 165+ you will easily have a shot at the t14. If you actually have a reason to write an addendum, like you were seriously ill when you took the test or something else happened to affect your performance, then write one, but I doubt it will have much, if any, weight when schools consider your score. Additionally, if it is the case that there were circumstances that made you under-perform on test day, then you should probably retake anyway. A 158 isn't a "bad" score, adcoms won't consider it anything other than what it is, even with a history of below average standardized test performance.

Yeah many have said retake. Thanks for the input.

bigwillie

Postby bigwillie » Sun Nov 07, 2010 4:41 pm

No problem. good luck!

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Sun Nov 07, 2010 5:39 pm

Write an addendum. Read Anna Ivey's book & you will see that she agrees. (Anna Ivey was director of admissions for the Univ. of Chicago Law School.) She suggests enclosing a copy of your SAT score to validate your claim.

bigwillie

Postby bigwillie » Sun Nov 07, 2010 6:26 pm

CanadianWolf wrote:Write an addendum. Read Anna Ivey's book & you will see that she agrees. (Anna Ivey was director of admissions for the Univ. of Chicago Law School.) She suggests enclosing a copy of your SAT score to validate your claim.

I might agree, but a 158 isn't even close to below average (isn't it somewhere around 75th percentile?). I don't think it really makes sense to say you're bad at standardized tests if you're in this percentile range. It might make sense for someone with a 4.0 and the ability to demonstrate that this score isn't representative of their ability, but unless you can do that you shouldn't write an addendum IMO. Obviously (by definition), the majority of people aren't going to score this high. Should everyone below a certain score have to explain why they didn't score in the 90th percentile or whatever?

ksimon2007

Postby ksimon2007 » Sun Nov 07, 2010 6:32 pm

CanadianWolf wrote:Write an addendum. Read Anna Ivey's book & you will see that she agrees. (Anna Ivey was director of admissions for the Univ. of Chicago Law School.) She suggests enclosing a copy of your SAT score to validate your claim.

Some apps ask for SAT score. Most apps are sent online. How would I enclose my SAT scores outside of simply noting them in an addenda.

ksimon2007

Postby ksimon2007 » Sun Nov 07, 2010 8:47 pm

Any other thoughts?

northwood

Postby northwood » Sun Nov 07, 2010 8:54 pm

dont write one... u are at the 75%

im_blue

Postby im_blue » Sun Nov 07, 2010 9:02 pm

bigwillie wrote:

I might agree, but a 158 isn't even close to below average (isn't it somewhere around 75th percentile?). I don't think it really makes sense to say you're bad at standardized tests if you're in this percentile range. It might make sense for someone with a 4.0 and the ability to demonstrate that this score isn't representative of their ability, but unless you can do that you shouldn't write an addendum IMO. Obviously (by definition), the majority of people aren't going to score this high. Should everyone below a certain score have to explain why they didn't score in the 90th percentile or whatever?

+1. If anything a 158 LSAT is better than a 3.52 GPA, percentile wise.

ksimon2007

Postby ksimon2007 » Sun Nov 07, 2010 10:10 pm

im_blue wrote:
bigwillie wrote:

+1. If anything a 158 LSAT is better than a 3.52 GPA, percentile wise.

Well my thought is probably in line of my SAT was really below average, but my GPA at my institution is top 10-15 percent, though the school does not reveal rankings until after graduation. The average gpa is a 2.76.

bigwillie

Postby bigwillie » Sun Nov 07, 2010 10:58 pm

If you can make a compelling case that your LSAT score isn't representative of your ability, then you should write one. However, I'm not sure this is one of those instances. Even if your SAT was below average, your LSAT is not by a long shot. I think it would be difficult for you to convince an adcom that you have a history of bad standardized tests with just these two examples.

What it comes down to is how much do you think this addendum will help you. Are you confident that you can write an addendum that is convincing enough that adcoms will look at your score in a different light? If the answer is no, then you should definitely not write an addendum. If yes, then maybe write one.

ksimon2007

Postby ksimon2007 » Sun Nov 07, 2010 11:03 pm

bigwillie wrote:If you can make a compelling case that your LSAT score isn't representative of your ability, then you should write one. However, I'm not sure this is one of those instances. Even if your SAT was below average, your LSAT is not by a long shot. I think it would be difficult for you to convince an adcom that you have a history of bad standardized tests with just these two examples.

What it comes down to is how much do you think this addendum will help you. Are you confident that you can write an addendum that is convincing enough that adcoms will look at your score in a different light? If the answer is no, then you should definitely not write an addendum. If yes, then maybe write one.

Great advice. I will not write one, but I am glad I took questions about the idea.

ahduth

Postby ahduth » Sun Nov 07, 2010 11:09 pm

Haha, seriously? She tells you to include your SAT score? That's completely ridiculous.

Should I include an addendum if my SAT score was really high? How about my ACT score? I nearly aced it (35, so close)! How that is in any way pertinent to a law school admission beggars belief. I don't know, she's probably right, she sells a lot of books doesn't she?

Edit: Sorry, I'm in a foul mood (obviously), but that really does seem like really weird advice. "Not only did I have trouble with the LSAT, the SAT gave me problems too." I just can't see how that is generally going to help you.

AreJay711

Postby AreJay711 » Sun Nov 07, 2010 11:26 pm

ahduth wrote:

Haha, seriously? She tells you to include your SAT score? That's completely ridiculous.

Should I include an addendum if my SAT score was really high? How about my ACT score? I nearly aced it (35, so close)! How that is in any way pertinent to a law school admission beggars belief. I don't know, she's probably right, she sells a lot of books doesn't she?

Edit: Sorry, I'm in a foul mood (obviously), but that really does seem like really weird advice. "Not only did I have trouble with the LSAT, the SAT gave me problems too." I just can't see how that is generally going to help you.

Idk where someone would even get their SAT. They ask for it on the TFA application so I tried to look it up. Apparently College Board closes you account after so many years.

im_blue

Postby im_blue » Sun Nov 07, 2010 11:27 pm

AreJay711 wrote:
ahduth wrote:

Idk where someone would even get their SAT. They ask for it on the TFA application so I tried to look it up. Apparently College Board closes you account after so many years.

Ask your UG, they'll have records of it.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”