Is an Addendum a Bad Idea in My Case? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
trk3586

New

Is an Addendum a Bad Idea in My Case?

Post by trk3586 » Sun Nov 07, 2010 3:41 pm

I've read a lot of different theories or words of advice when it comes to addenda, so I'll just spill my case out and see what you folks think. I'm somewhat new to the idea of attending law school. It was an afterthought, so be gentle. I graduated with a degree in Aviation Flight Science and basically have certification to be a pilot at the airline level and to flight instruct, but decided not to go that route. First of all, does that background help me or hurt me for admission?

On to the addendum. I got a 152 on the LSAT and was quite disappointed as someone with a 3.91 degree GPA might be (3.78 LSDAS). It's obviously a serious drag on my admissions hopes. I took the SAT twice with scores of 1130 and 1240. Not terrible scores I know, but I was considering using the "poor standardized test taker" argument in the addendum, or something along those lines. My LSAT practice tests also fell withing five points of my eventual score, so I've sort of ruled out re-taking it. Also, I don't have the official score report to attach, so would a screen shot of my score on the College Board website be out of the question? Or should I just not attach anything to prove my SAT scores?

Planning on applying to Temple, Villanova both long shots I know, Drexel, Widener, and Quinnipiac.

Thanks
Last edited by trk3586 on Sun Nov 07, 2010 5:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The McRib Is Risen

New

Re: Is an Addendum a Bad Idea in My Case?

Post by The McRib Is Risen » Sun Nov 07, 2010 3:51 pm

Why in the world would you write an addendum telling admissions committees that you're a poor standardized test taker? Trust me, they'll know that when they see your 152.

Addenda are for situations where someone's score is aberrant, for instance if you got the flu the night before the test and then retook and increased your score substantially, or if there was a fire drill during the logic games section. As your score seems to be indicative of your actual abilities w/r/t the LSAT, there is no need for an addendum and it would not be of any assistance to you.

whymeohgodno

Gold

Post by whymeohgodno » Sun Nov 07, 2010 4:21 pm

Poor standardized test taker addendum never works. Seriously.

gwuorbust

Gold

Post by gwuorbust » Sun Nov 07, 2010 5:09 pm

retake or don't go

Aqualibrium

Gold

Post by Aqualibrium » Sun Nov 07, 2010 5:31 pm

I'd say get some experience in the industry and try again later. With flight experience, at a time where air travel is so heavily scrutinized, you'll be a very unique candidate in the legal job market if you go out and get some experience now.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”