DC schools and IP. What class rank to get patent atty. job?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
teege

DC schools and IP. What class rank to get patent atty. job?

Postby teege » Sun Nov 07, 2010 2:04 pm

Wondering what % of class I'd need to be from these schools to get patent attorney job in DC. Anyone have a general idea?

Georgetown
GW
GMU
American
Maryland

Aqualibrium

Re: DC schools and IP. What class rank to get patent atty. job?

Postby Aqualibrium » Sun Nov 07, 2010 2:08 pm

teege wrote:Wondering what % of class I'd need to be from these schools to get patent attorney job in DC. Anyone have a general idea?

Georgetown
GW
GMU
American
Maryland

Can't give you a percentage, but if you want a firm job in DC, your best bets are GW and Georgetown.

thegor1987

Postby thegor1987 » Sun Nov 07, 2010 2:09 pm

First find out what class rank you need to be in to get a regular lawyer job. Then take %25 of said class rank.

whymeohgodno

Postby whymeohgodno » Sun Nov 07, 2010 2:15 pm

Aqualibrium wrote:
teege wrote:Wondering what % of class I'd need to be from these schools to get patent attorney job in DC. Anyone have a general idea?

Georgetown
GW
GMU
American
Maryland

Can't give you a percentage, but if you want a firm job in DC, your best bets are GW and Georgetown.

+1

plenipotentiary

Postby plenipotentiary » Sun Nov 07, 2010 2:23 pm

Aqualibrium wrote:Can't give you a percentage, but if you want a firm job in DC, your best bets are GW and Georgetown.

If you want a firm job in DC, your best bet is YHS or the top of your class at a T14 (the higher ranked, the better). Georgetown's home field advantage is insignificant (unlike, say, NYU in NYC) and any T14 >>>> GW.

Aqualibrium

Postby Aqualibrium » Sun Nov 07, 2010 2:38 pm

plenipotentiary wrote:
Aqualibrium wrote:Can't give you a percentage, but if you want a firm job in DC, your best bets are GW and Georgetown.

If you want a firm job in DC, your best bet is YHS or the top of your class at a T14 (the higher ranked, the better). Georgetown's home field advantage is insignificant (unlike, say, NYU in NYC) and any T14 >>>> GW.

I knew someone would chyme in with this. OP only listed DC area schools. He obviously wants to go to school in the DC area. I, and most other people on this site, understand the hierarchy that exists. Of OP's DC area options though, GW and Georgetown are the only ones that really give him a legit shot at working in a major DC firm.

plenipotentiary

Postby plenipotentiary » Sun Nov 07, 2010 2:42 pm

Aqualibrium wrote:I knew someone would chyme in with this. OP only listed DC area schools. He obviously wants to go to school in the DC area. I, and most other people on this site, understand the hierarchy that exists. Of OP's DC area options though, GW and Georgetown are the only ones that really give him a legit shot at working in a major DC firm.

Maybe OP only wants to go to school in the DC area because he mistakenly believes that it will give him the best shot at a job in DC.

im_blue

Postby im_blue » Sun Nov 07, 2010 4:41 pm

that depends heavily on your degree, major, UG prestige, and eligibility for the patent bar

nealric

Postby nealric » Sun Nov 07, 2010 4:45 pm

Someone with a PHD in EE from MIT will have a very different grade/school cutoff from someone with an undergrad bio major from Podunk U.

runningzigzag

Postby runningzigzag » Mon Nov 08, 2010 12:37 am

Just have a science-related or engineering undergraduate degree, pass your State Bar and the U.S. Patent Bar and you'll be fine.

P.S. Read this too...It will answer all your further questions...
--LinkRemoved--

thegor1987

Postby thegor1987 » Fri Nov 12, 2010 5:55 pm

nealric wrote:Someone with a PHD in EE from MIT will have a very different grade/school cutoff from someone with an undergrad bio major from Podunk U.

Biology is also a difficult subject matter because these classes are generally not curved so you have to get almost all of the questions right to get an A. Although physics and engineering are extremely difficult compared to Biology, the exams can be shitshows with 20% avgs. Then you're looking at a 35% score on an exam gets you an A.

spondee

Postby spondee » Fri Nov 12, 2010 6:02 pm

nealric wrote:Someone with a PHD in EE from MIT will have a very different grade/school cutoff from someone with an undergrad bio major from Podunk U.

So very true. Didn't really understand this until I went through OCI. There are no clean grade cutoffs; it's all pretty fuzzy. Background (and how you sell it) matters a lot.

Some people get a measly 3.0 but get V10 offers; others pull in above median, yet struggle to get any offers.

dood

Postby dood » Fri Nov 12, 2010 6:05 pm

Last edited by dood on Mon Dec 06, 2010 2:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dood

Postby dood » Fri Nov 12, 2010 6:07 pm

Last edited by dood on Mon Dec 06, 2010 2:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Big Shrimpin

Postby Big Shrimpin » Fri Nov 12, 2010 6:16 pm

plenipotentiary wrote:

although this is credited advice, it is not necessarily true...have you been through oci and bid dc yet?

also, shouldn't this be in the employment forum? OP, you'd get answers over there from those who've been through the hiring process this year...pm me for more information

Black-Blue

Postby Black-Blue » Fri Nov 12, 2010 10:57 pm

Georgetown
GW
GMU
American
Maryland

For biglaw/big-boutique (135-160k), I'd say top 25% at GULC, top 15% at GWU, top 7.5% at GMU/AU/UMD

For any patent attorney job (75-120k) I'd say top 66% at GULC (or any rank if you're PhD), top 50% at GWU (top 80% if PhD), top 33% at GMU/AU (top 66% if PhD), top 25% at UMD.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”