Softs Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
whymeohgodno

Gold

Softs

Post by whymeohgodno » Sun Nov 07, 2010 1:48 pm

Anyone here with really weak softs apply in a previous cycle? How did your cycles go? Did it go as numbers predicted?

Also does anyone else suspect that LSN is a bit biased since it seems that the self selected group who post information there would be more motivated than those who don't and would be more likely to have above average softs?

RTFM

Bronze

Re: Softs

Post by RTFM » Sun Nov 07, 2010 4:47 pm

whymeohgodno wrote:Anyone here with really weak softs apply in a previous cycle? How did your cycles go? Did it go as numbers predicted?
I'm applying this cycle, but I have friends from UG who had basically no softs who are now at Harvard (3.8x, 170), NYU (3.6x, 172; 3.7x, 168), and Northwestern (3.1x, 170) just to give you an idea...
whymeohgodno wrote:Also does anyone else suspect that LSN is a bit biased since it seems that the self selected group who post information there would be more motivated than those who don't and would be more likely to have above average softs?
I'm willing to bet that there's some merit in this argument. LSN is probably not a representative sample.

pppokerface

Bronze

Post by pppokerface » Mon Nov 08, 2010 11:13 am

RTFM wrote:
whymeohgodno wrote:Anyone here with really weak softs apply in a previous cycle? How did your cycles go? Did it go as numbers predicted?
I'm applying this cycle, but I have friends from UG who had basically no softs who are now at Harvard (3.8x, 170), NYU (3.6x, 172; 3.7x, 168), and Northwestern (3.1x, 170) just to give you an idea...
whymeohgodno wrote:Also does anyone else suspect that LSN is a bit biased since it seems that the self selected group who post information there would be more motivated than those who don't and would be more likely to have above average softs?
I'm willing to bet that there's some merit in this argument. LSN is probably not a representative sample.
How did they get into those schools with those numbers and no softs?? amazing PS...? esp that NYU 168 person....

QuailMan

New

Post by QuailMan » Mon Nov 08, 2010 2:43 pm

pppokerface wrote:
RTFM wrote:
How did they get into those schools with those numbers and no softs?? amazing PS...? esp that NYU 168 person....
Also remember that not all accounts on LSN are real and many people also change their numbers slightly out of fear that ad coms will look up their profiles, but probably forget to ever change them back once their cycle is over.

pppokerface

Bronze

Post by pppokerface » Mon Nov 08, 2010 3:30 pm

This guy says that its his friend, so I thought I'd ask.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Arbiter213

Gold

Post by Arbiter213 » Mon Nov 08, 2010 3:39 pm

Makes sense. After all- by definition half of every class has to be below Medians. So the TLS mantra that you must be above can't strictly be true. Though it could be true you have to be above at least one.

whymeohgodno

Gold

Post by whymeohgodno » Mon Nov 08, 2010 3:41 pm

Arbiter213 wrote:Makes sense. After all- by definition half of every class has to be below Medians. So the TLS mantra that you must be above can't strictly be true. Though it could be true you have to be above at least one.
Well....I'd say at least 20-25% are URM admits.

Also I'd say a lot of schools accept splitters which explains a lot.

RTFM

Bronze

Post by RTFM » Mon Nov 08, 2010 8:01 pm

The one who got a 168 applied three years ago and I think the medians were slightly lower then.

In general though, the people that I mentioned didn't necessarily have cycles that made sense--e.g., the one who went to Harvard was rejected at NYU and Chicago (but straight out admitted to Harvard, not waitlisted). I think my point was more that it could be worth applying to schools you don't think you have a chance at because a certain adcomm might really like your application. (I also think that everyone I mentioned had some pretty outstanding academic LORs.)

It's important to remember that LSN comprises of a tiny fraction of the applicant pool. They've gotta let someone in below their 25%...

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”