LSAT Addenda

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
jr8966

LSAT Addenda

Postby jr8966 » Sun Nov 07, 2010 10:51 am

Should I write one if I took the lsat 3 times and jumped up 6 points in each?

Re: LSAT Addenda

Postby 2014 » Sun Nov 07, 2010 11:46 am

Do you have a reason for the jump? Or would your addenda look something like this:

"For the first one I took it without any preparation and scored a XXX. On the second, I prepared harder and worked through a couple of prep books and practice tests and scored a XXX+6. On the third, I finally took the test as seriously as I should have given the implications it would have on my career and the rest of my life. I took a class, worked through all of the powerscore bibles, and did all of the practice tests available. This led to me scoring a XXX+12, please consider this my only valid score since it is the only one I really prepared for"

That's not a good addendum :)

jr8966

Postby jr8966 » Sun Nov 07, 2010 12:13 pm

I definitely agree about the fine line one has to walk when submitting an LSAT addenda. I was unprepared when I took the LSAT the first two times. Largely because I really did not have resources to draw from. I am a first generation college student, who lived at home to afford college. As much as it scares me...Top Law was really provided me with my first glimpse of law school and the legal field. Since then I have gone on to work in the legal field and in DC doing legislative work, but the damage was done. I would really appreciate any advice.

Adjudicator

Postby Adjudicator » Sun Nov 07, 2010 12:27 pm

I would like to hear peoples' thoughts about this too. I took the LSAT twice and jumped from a 164 to a 175, which I gather is an uncommon occurrence. Yet I don't feel that I have anything to say about it... I just prepped better the second time.

Will schools be wanting an addendum about this?

northwood

Postby northwood » Sun Nov 07, 2010 12:29 pm

i would write one, but only if the school wants one, and you have a valid reason.

if you are stuck on trying to make this decision, why not pick a school that you have no intention of applying to and explain your situtation over the phone? im sure tehy may help clarify what to say, and if you should write one anyways

whymeohgodno

Postby whymeohgodno » Sun Nov 07, 2010 12:38 pm

I don't think it really even matters.

jr8966

Postby jr8966 » Sun Nov 07, 2010 3:50 pm

Bump...I would like to get some more valuable advice.

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Sun Nov 07, 2010 3:53 pm

Most, maybe all, law schools expect an addendum for LSAT score increases of 6 points or more.

Hedwig

Postby Hedwig » Sun Nov 07, 2010 3:55 pm

Addendum is singular. Addenda is plural. Neuter nominative/accusative plural, ftw.

I know that's not the valuable advice you were looking for! But here's my thoughts: If you don't have a good excuse (i.e., YOU know it sounds flat and it was really just due to non-preparation), your addendum might come off as sounding like a bad excuse. If you have a reason for the difference and you feel you can write an explanation that comes off as sincere and a reasonable explanation, write it.

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Sun Nov 07, 2010 4:00 pm

Some law schools require an addendum for LSAT scores 6 points or higher.

The McRib Is Risen

Postby The McRib Is Risen » Sun Nov 07, 2010 4:05 pm

If the application states that an addendum is required for an increase along those lines, then do it. Otherwise schools will sometimes contact you to explain the score changes, and you can just worry about it then.

jr8966

Postby jr8966 » Sun Nov 07, 2010 4:05 pm

Thanks for the advice, and this question was spawned by some of the applications that do require an addendum. Honestly though, I feel like I was unprepared coming out of undergrad. I had limited resources for guidance. First college gen URM college grad, and I went to school while living at home in an area lacking legal resources. It was not until I moved to DC and worked a few years that I gained a better perspective on the effort required.

Is this a good enough reason?

AreJay711

Postby AreJay711 » Sun Nov 07, 2010 4:11 pm

Most answers are going to be weak and I doubt adcoms really care -- they just want to see a reason so they know you didn't completely luck out and score 6 points higher than you ever PTed. It would would be to find a way to cast the first one as an utter outlier because of some ungodly occurrence, the second one was a normal f-up, and the third was finally almost as high as what you PTed 30 times. But don't worry trying to find a good reason because any good reason should have behooved you to cancel your first score (you'd know if you scored 12 pts lower than what you were capable of)

Hedwig

Postby Hedwig » Sun Nov 07, 2010 4:11 pm

jr8966 wrote:Thanks for the advice, and this question was spawned by some of the applications that do require an addendum. Honestly though, I feel like I was unprepared coming out of undergrad. I had limited resources for guidance. First college gen college grad and I went to school while living at home in an area lacking legal resources. It was not until I moved to DC and worked a few years that I gained a better perspective on the effort required.

Is this a good enough reason?

I honestly am not quite sure what this means. My resources for guidance consisted of Google, to be honest. That's how I stumbled upon TLS, and other sites where they had reviews of prep materials. I went to school while at home, studied by myself (with TLS for help) and scored well (not sure what your initial scores were - I supposed you could have started off at 168, which is a very good score to begin with, and ended at 180).

The McRib Is Risen

Postby The McRib Is Risen » Sun Nov 07, 2010 4:12 pm

AreJay711 wrote:Most answers are going to be weak and I doubt adcoms really care -- they just want to see a reason so they know you didn't completely luck out and score 6 points higher than you ever PTed. It would would be to find a way to cast the first one as an utter outlier because of some ungodly occurrence, the second one was a normal f-up, and the third was finally almost as high as what you PTed 30 times. But don't worry trying to find a good reason because any good reason should have behooved you to cancel your first score (you'd know if you scored 12 pts lower than what you were capable of)

Adcomms are well aware that the LSAT is a teachable test. Typically they don't get suspicious unless the score jump is 10+ points, and even then "I took a prep course" is going to be a sufficient explanation.

AreJay711

Postby AreJay711 » Sun Nov 07, 2010 4:22 pm

The McRib Is Risen wrote:
AreJay711 wrote:Most answers are going to be weak and I doubt adcoms really care -- they just want to see a reason so they know you didn't completely luck out and score 6 points higher than you ever PTed. It would would be to find a way to cast the first one as an utter outlier because of some ungodly occurrence, the second one was a normal f-up, and the third was finally almost as high as what you PTed 30 times. But don't worry trying to find a good reason because any good reason should have behooved you to cancel your first score (you'd know if you scored 12 pts lower than what you were capable of)

Adcomms are well aware that the LSAT is a teachable test. Typically they don't get suspicious unless the score jump is 10+ points, and even then "I took a prep course" is going to be a sufficient explanation.

Right. Thats what I said -- it doesn't matter. Still, teaching yourself the LSAT is way less impressive than scoring 170+ cold.

jr8966

Postby jr8966 » Sun Nov 07, 2010 4:23 pm

I didn't have the internet until I was a sophmore in college. Couldn't afford it. Law school was just one of the opportunities I would pursue at TTTT if I could afford it. Really, people in my community think that going to a school like Texas Southern is a great opportunity. Actually most attorney's from my area actually go to school there and excel down here. I really didn't gain a better perspective or learned about law school process until after I moved out of my home region to DC. My school's lsat median is 14x. Being around like minded people really got my ass in gear. Now I have a score in the mid 160's after I started out with a 15x three years ago.

whymeohgodno

Postby whymeohgodno » Sun Nov 07, 2010 4:24 pm

AreJay711 wrote:
The McRib Is Risen wrote:

Right. Thats what I said -- it doesn't matter. Still, teaching yourself the LSAT is way less impressive than scoring 170+ cold.

If I met someone who scored 170+ truly cold (never looked at any LSAT materials before and test was under strict timing conditions), I would bow before them.

Hedwig

Postby Hedwig » Sun Nov 07, 2010 4:27 pm

jr8966 wrote:I didn't have the internet until I was a sophmore in college. Couldn't afford it. Law school was just one of the opportunities I would pursue at TTTT if I could afford it. Really, people in my community think that going to a school like Texas Southern is a great opportunity. Actually most attorney's from my area actually go to school there and excel down here. I really didn't gain a better perspective or learned about law school process until after I moved out of my home region to DC. My school's lsat median is 14x. Being around like minded people really got my ass in gear. Now I have a score in the mid 160's after I started out with a 15x three years ago.

Ah, okay, well that makes more sense now. A better excuse with the details put in, obviously.

Did you not have access through your university to the internet, though? LIke, while you were on campus?

jr8966

Postby jr8966 » Sun Nov 07, 2010 4:33 pm

Access yes...guidance no. I didn't even have a clue about where to start. I just signed up for the LSAT one day knowing that it was the law school entrance exam.

I hate excuses and would rather just prove myself through my score, but it looks like my ignorance is coming back to haunt me.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”