UVA ED v. Texas Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
carboy67

New

UVA ED v. Texas

Post by carboy67 » Sun Nov 07, 2010 6:14 am

My info:
UGPA: 3.49
LSAT: 171
Texas Resident
Hispanic (Venezuelan so not a URM), Middle Eastern
Worked Part Time throughout School
Good On-Campus involvement in undergrad

I was trying to get someone's opinion on deciding whether or not to apply ED to UVA or not. My first choices are a mix between Texas, UVA, Penn, UCLA, USC (probably more in that order than anything else but the bottom line is that I would love to go any of them). I see my best chance at getting into any of them as an ED to UVA since they seem to really give a substantial boost to ED applicants, especially those with high GPAs or high LSAT scores. I am really uncertain about applying ED though for the normal reasons. Financial aid is a huge concern and Im not sure if UVA is 100% the place I want to be, especially since I favor Texas more than UVA. I just am really unsure if I could get into any of those other places RD. I feel like being below a 3.5 GPA looks poorly to many schools and even though it will be above a 3.5 after this semesters grades, that may be too late in the application process to make me a serious applicant. Soooo, all in all, taking a measure that would increase my chances substantially (ED to UVA) is really enticing.

What do you suggest to do???

whymeohgodno

Gold

Re: UVA ED v. Texas

Post by whymeohgodno » Sun Nov 07, 2010 11:23 am

If you want to practice in Texas and are financially conscious, I wouldn't ed to UVA since it's 100% certain you won't get significant $ while it's very possible that you will at Texas...which would imo be better than UVA if you want to practice in Texas.

Platinum

Post by 2014 » Sun Nov 07, 2010 11:32 am

Last year and the early signs this year seem to point toward a soft floor somewhere between 3.5 and 3.6 so your concerns are valid. I don't know how much help being a resident will be, but it can't hurt. I would app RD to Texas ASAP, and if you get declined, immediately ED to U.Va. If it is too late for them and they decline you too, you could consider making some money or traveling for a year, and EDing next year early to U.Va. where you will be an auto-admit.

WhirledWorld

Bronze

Post by WhirledWorld » Sun Nov 07, 2010 1:36 pm

Last edited by WhirledWorld on Wed Jan 29, 2014 9:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AreJay711

Gold

Post by AreJay711 » Sun Nov 07, 2010 1:49 pm

Why is Venezuelan not a URM? Even if you're of mostly of European decent (which might be your issue I guess) everyone still thinks South American = Hispanic. It isn't like there are strict guidelines for law school applications about what mix of distant ancestries makes someone Hispanic as long as at some point those ancestries came together south of the U.S.

You might as well maximize you chances with a legit URM status.
Last edited by AreJay711 on Sun Nov 07, 2010 1:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

vanwinkle

Platinum

Post by vanwinkle » Sun Nov 07, 2010 1:49 pm

You're a Texas resident now? You should do well job-hunting at UVA, possibly better than if you went to UT. (Most people at UT want jobs in Texas, while there are a lot fewer people at UVA who both want to work in Texas and have Texas ties, and firms in Texas generally love recruiting UVA students.) With similar grades at either school you'd do better at UVA in Texas; plus UVA would give you options outside of Texas if you have trouble finding work in Texas for some odd reason.

The other thing to think about, though, is the possibility that if you stay in Texas you could possibly do internships or pro bono work in Austin that would let you build up contacts with practicing Texas lawyers during the school year, something you couldn't do at UVA. However, you can still build up contacts just about anywhere in the country during your breaks (interning during winter break, spring break, and the summer can add up to a lot). I think you could do enough in Texas as a UVA student to demonstrate you really want to work there before 2L OCI. UVA even has their winter break pro bono project which would help you find someone in Texas to intern with during winter break and get some legal experience in the state while you go home for the winter.

Your GPA is a little low for UVA RD, though your LSAT is above their median which is great. I suspect with a great PS (especially one that highlights the diversity you'd add to the school) you could get into UVA RD, but UVA is incredibly hard to get into out-of-state (something like 33 applicants for every out-of-state seat they have).

Do you have time to visit UVA, maybe during the Thanksgiving break? Go see the school and the town, and if you like it, ED then. I enjoyed living there, and it was the first place outside of Texas I'd ever lived.

vanwinkle

Platinum

Post by vanwinkle » Sun Nov 07, 2010 1:50 pm

AreJay711 wrote:Why is Venezuelan not a URM? Even if you're of mostly of European decent (which might be your issue I guess) everyone still thinks South American = Hispanic. It isn't like there are strict guidelines for law school applications about what mix of distant ancestries makes someone Hispanic as long as at some point those ancestries came together south of the U.S.

You might as well maximize you chances with a legit URM status.
Actually, some schools only provide boosts (or provide stronger boosts) to people of Mexican-American or Puerto Rican descent than other Hispanics. It's better in OP's case to assume he won't get a strong boost.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”