Diversity Statement-Neuroscience background?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
ajmanyjah

Diversity Statement-Neuroscience background?

Postby ajmanyjah » Sat Nov 06, 2010 11:56 pm

...I think the topic explains it...

I have a neuro background and if I explain it using the links to the law I have seen and the possible future applications, is it legit?

ATR

Re: Diversity Statement-Neuroscience background?

Postby ATR » Sun Nov 07, 2010 12:01 am

I don't know about schools in general, but, as an aside, Vanderbilt has a law professor who has a big role in the Law and Neuroscience Project.

http://law.vanderbilt.edu/article-searc ... px?nid=137

Perhaps they would find your background appealing because of this.

ajmanyjah

Postby ajmanyjah » Sun Nov 07, 2010 12:05 am

Sweet---have to get my LSAT up to my avg---and see if I could live in a small town like Nashville (thought I hear the women are hot) but nice

CGI Fridays

Postby CGI Fridays » Sun Nov 07, 2010 12:05 am

Diversity Statement? Are you serious? No it's not legit. I'm sure you're proud, but you shouldn't write a diversity statement based on your academic focus.

Put it in your PS if you want.

ATR

Postby ATR » Sun Nov 07, 2010 12:06 am

ajmanyjah wrote:Sweet---have to get my LSAT up to my avg---and see if I could live in a small town like Nashville (thought I hear the women are hot) but nice

I guess it's a matter of perspective, but Nashville isn't really a small town IMO. And you hear right about the women.

ajmanyjah

Postby ajmanyjah » Sun Nov 07, 2010 12:14 am

CGI Fridays wrote:Diversity Statement? Are you serious? No it's not legit. I'm sure you're proud, but you shouldn't write a diversity statement based on your academic focus.

Not about pride---it's just my PS has a bit of a different focus and it might create a trainwreck mixing this and what I have on the PS

CGI Fridays

Postby CGI Fridays » Sun Nov 07, 2010 12:16 am

ajmanyjah wrote:Not about pride---it's just my PS has a bit of a different focus and it might create a trainwreck mixing this and what I have on the PS

Did you make any breakthroughs or are you seriously thinking about writing a DS on your academic focus?

whymeohgodno

Postby whymeohgodno » Sun Nov 07, 2010 12:16 am

This is something that should be on your resume...not a diversity statement...lol.

ajmanyjah

Postby ajmanyjah » Sun Nov 07, 2010 12:21 am

CGI Fridays wrote:
ajmanyjah wrote:Not about pride---it's just my PS has a bit of a different focus and it might create a trainwreck mixing this and what I have on the PS

Did you make any breakthroughs or are you seriously thinking about writing a DS on your academic focus?

Basically I have a background of relatively diverse places and jobs (school in Quebec, job in China teaching, neuroscience research in Western Canada, law firm intern in NYC, and not going to intern with a judge in India) and I really am struggling to put a focus on it in the diversity statement without being scattershot

My PS is more about my motivations and what sparked it in my experiences...

4for44

Postby 4for44 » Sun Nov 07, 2010 12:27 am

CGI Fridays wrote:Diversity Statement? Are you serious? No it's not legit. I'm sure you're proud, but you shouldn't write a diversity statement based on your academic focus.

Disagree... I think this would definitely add diversity to their student body- definitely a DS topic... I've seen engineers do DSes about their academic focus...

ifigotoschool

Postby ifigotoschool » Sun Nov 07, 2010 12:28 am

Last edited by ifigotoschool on Thu Aug 02, 2012 11:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CGI Fridays

Postby CGI Fridays » Sun Nov 07, 2010 12:53 am

4for44 wrote:Disagree... I think this would definitely add diversity to their student body- definitely a DS topic... I've seen engineers do DSes about their academic focus...

Of course it would add diversity. Everyone adds diversity, and it would get ridiculous pretty quickly if your academic focus became legit DS material.

If it already is & I'm behind the times, I'll stay that way before I write a DS about my focus on Electrophysiology & Neurobiology. Why? Because they were courses that anyone could take.

Just because you've seen engineers do it doesn't mean it's a good idea.

whymeohgodno

Postby whymeohgodno » Sun Nov 07, 2010 12:54 am

Usually diversity statement is something that can't be seen from your resume.

Example: Being homeless or growing up in a country where there was rampant genocide going on etc...

CGI Fridays

Postby CGI Fridays » Sun Nov 07, 2010 12:54 am

ajmanyjah wrote:Basically I have a background of relatively diverse places and jobs (school in Quebec, job in China teaching, neuroscience research in Western Canada, law firm intern in NYC, and not going to intern with a judge in India)...

This is all standard resume material.

vanwinkle

Postby vanwinkle » Sun Nov 07, 2010 12:56 am

This is by far not the kind of thing a diversity statement should be about.

OrdinarilySkilled

Postby OrdinarilySkilled » Sun Nov 07, 2010 1:00 am

CGI Fridays wrote:
ajmanyjah wrote:Basically I have a background of relatively diverse places and jobs (school in Quebec, job in China teaching, neuroscience research in Western Canada, law firm intern in NYC, and not going to intern with a judge in India)...

Theres also a box on the application to note your ethnicity. Your rationale is dumb.

ajmanyjah

Postby ajmanyjah » Sun Nov 07, 2010 1:00 am

CGI Fridays wrote:
4for44 wrote:Disagree... I think this would definitely add diversity to their student body- definitely a DS topic... I've seen engineers do DSes about their academic focus...

Of course it would add diversity. Everyone adds diversity, and it would get ridiculous pretty quickly if your academic focus became legit DS material.

If it already is & I'm behind the times, I'll stay that way before I write a DS about my focus on Electrophysiology & Neurobiology. Why? Because they were courses that anyone could take.

Just because you've seen engineers do it doesn't mean it's a good idea.

While I've abandoned the idea...my background was about far more than courses. I had significant thesis writing experience and employment in the field.

So I am starting to abandon the DS idea a little, but I might just throw in one relating to adjustment and adversity in Quebec and China...*shrug*

CGI Fridays

Postby CGI Fridays » Sun Nov 07, 2010 1:03 am

ajmanyjah wrote: I had significant thesis writing experience and employment in the field.

Disclose all of this in your resume. If you think your thesis was interesting and adcomms would want to know about it, include it. People will tell you it's cheesy and shouldn't be included; others will support it. Up to you.

ajmanyjah

Postby ajmanyjah » Sun Nov 07, 2010 1:06 am

CGI Fridays wrote:
ajmanyjah wrote: I had significant thesis writing experience and employment in the field.

Disclose all of this in your resume. If you think your thesis was interesting and adcomms would want to know about it, include it. People will tell you it's cheesy and shouldn't be included; others will support it. Up to you.

Really...include my thesis/theses? They are pretty heavy 20-40 page papers with tons of lingo and pages and pages of stats tables

Now, I think they are pretty damned cool and show my ability to succeed academically in general, they are unrelated to the law. But if it can give me an edge...should I include at least one?

whymeohgodno

Postby whymeohgodno » Sun Nov 07, 2010 1:09 am

ajmanyjah wrote:
CGI Fridays wrote:

Really...include my thesis/theses? They are pretty heavy 20-40 page papers with tons of lingo and pages and pages of stats tables

Now, I think they are pretty damned cool and show my ability to succeed academically in general, they are unrelated to the law. But if it can give me an edge...should I include at least one?

Lol don't actually include the THESIS but write on your resume that you wrote a thesis on xxx.

CGI Fridays

Postby CGI Fridays » Sun Nov 07, 2010 1:17 am

OrdinarilySkilled wrote:
CGI Fridays wrote:

Theres also a box on the application to note your ethnicity. Your rationale is dumb.

See that's a box. You check it. That is the full extent of the information disclosed. It's a title with no further info about personal experience.
We might draw an analogy between that checkbox for ethnicity and the selection of one's major for the discussion of academic work. In OPs case, that would be "Psychology" (unless s/he's lucky and he has a BS in Neuroscience).

Your analogy would be reasonable and my rationale would be dumb if I was advocating that all s/he put on the fucking resume was his/her major, or maybe "Neuroscience Background."
But that's not what I'm suggesting. I'm suggesting that s/he convey information about it. You know, with words.

So, your analogy is not reasonable, and says nothing about my rationale.

Your rationale is dumb.
Also your face is dumb! Ooooooooooh!

CGI Fridays

Postby CGI Fridays » Sun Nov 07, 2010 1:19 am

whymeohgodno wrote:Lol don't actually include the THESIS but write on your resume that you wrote a thesis on xxx.

While this would have been an amazing opportunity to troll, it appears that whymeohgodno has stifled the opportunity.
In earnest, OP, TITCR to your last question.

ajmanyjah

Postby ajmanyjah » Sun Nov 07, 2010 1:20 am

CGI Fridays wrote:
OrdinarilySkilled wrote:
CGI Fridays wrote:

See that's a box. You check it. That is the full extent of the information disclosed. It's a title with no further info about personal experience.
We might draw an analogy between that checkbox for ethnicity and the selection of one's major for the discussion of academic work. In OPs case, that would be "Psychology" (unless s/he's lucky and he has a BS in Neuroscience).

Your analogy would be reasonable and my rationale would be dumb if I was advocating that all s/he put on the fucking resume was his/her major, or maybe "Neuroscience Background."
But that's not what I'm suggesting. I'm suggesting that s/he convey information about it. You know, with words.

So, your analogy is not reasonable, and says nothing about my rationale.

Your rationale is dumb.
Also your face is dumb! Ooooooooooh!

We didn't have a neuro major until my Junior yr---though I basically took all the req's for it I was already in Psych Honors at that point in the middle of a thesis so I didn't change majors

Still, it is depressing having the same name on my degree as the Arts kids who took "Personality Psych" and other such assorted easy classes

ajmanyjah

Postby ajmanyjah » Sun Nov 07, 2010 1:22 am

CGI Fridays wrote:
whymeohgodno wrote:Lol don't actually include the THESIS but write on your resume that you wrote a thesis on xxx.

While this would have been an amazing opportunity to troll, it appears that whymeohgodno has stifled the opportunity.
In earnest, OP, TITCR to your last question.

I knew, I was just excited, because it seems like all that hard work might mean something---here's to hoping

ahduth

Postby ahduth » Sun Nov 07, 2010 7:33 am

I read the subject header and I thought OP was going to be applying as a cyborg.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”