pdf or word doc?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
User avatar
glitched
Posts: 1040
Joined: Wed May 19, 2010 9:50 am

pdf or word doc?

Postby glitched » Sat Nov 06, 2010 10:50 pm

Do you submit personal statement/resumes/addendum as pdf or resume? and what do you title it? thanks

r6_philly
Posts: 10707
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:32 pm

Re: pdf or word doc?

Postby r6_philly » Sat Nov 06, 2010 11:00 pm

word doc. Put your name, title of the document, L# in the header.

User avatar
AreJay711
Posts: 3406
Joined: Tue Jul 20, 2010 8:51 pm

Re: pdf or word doc?

Postby AreJay711 » Sun Nov 07, 2010 12:39 am

You don't have the option of pdf. I made that mistake and had to re-do my "Send Out" folder with the word documents that my PDF's came from. It was a hassle and I stressed constantly that I made errors that I had corrected on my PDFs but not my word files. (It is still in the back of my mind after checking them multiple times).

mst
Posts: 925
Joined: Sun Jun 06, 2010 3:01 am

Re: pdf or word doc?

Postby mst » Sun Nov 07, 2010 4:36 am

You submit Doc's or Docx's (your choice), then LSAC combines these with the primary application and generates a pdf in the order you upload the files, and you're given the chance to preview the overall application pdf one last time prior to submitting.

schrizto
Posts: 22
Joined: Wed Aug 05, 2009 10:17 pm

Re: pdf or word doc?

Postby schrizto » Sun Nov 07, 2010 5:47 pm

mst wrote:You submit Doc's or Docx's (your choice), then LSAC combines these with the primary application and generates a pdf in the order you upload the files, and you're given the chance to preview the overall application pdf one last time prior to submitting.


That's weird. If the documents are going to be turned into pdfs anyway why would there be a problem for people who submit their documents as pdfs.

User avatar
ResolutePear
Posts: 8614
Joined: Fri Jul 02, 2010 10:07 pm

Re: pdf or word doc?

Postby ResolutePear » Sun Nov 07, 2010 5:50 pm

schrizto wrote:
mst wrote:You submit Doc's or Docx's (your choice), then LSAC combines these with the primary application and generates a pdf in the order you upload the files, and you're given the chance to preview the overall application pdf one last time prior to submitting.


That's weird. If the documents are going to be turned into pdfs anyway why would there be a problem for people who submit their documents as pdfs.


...did you do your stuff in LaTeX? No? Then this is a stupid argument.

If you did, I'll tip my hat to you and refer you to a tex2doc converter.

mst
Posts: 925
Joined: Sun Jun 06, 2010 3:01 am

Re: pdf or word doc?

Postby mst » Sun Nov 07, 2010 6:33 pm

To answer your question, I have no idea why you can not submit a pdf to a pdf maker/combiner.

User avatar
im_blue
Posts: 3276
Joined: Sun Apr 12, 2009 3:53 am

Re: pdf or word doc?

Postby im_blue » Sun Nov 07, 2010 7:21 pm

Because PDF files can contain all kinds of weird things, such as password protection, edit locking, encryption, etc that makes them a nightmare to combine with other files.

User avatar
ResolutePear
Posts: 8614
Joined: Fri Jul 02, 2010 10:07 pm

Re: pdf or word doc?

Postby ResolutePear » Sun Nov 07, 2010 7:25 pm

im_blue wrote:Because PDF files can contain all kinds of weird things, such as password protection, edit locking, encryption, etc that makes them a nightmare to combine with other files.


...you havn't really used Word, have you? lol.

User avatar
im_blue
Posts: 3276
Joined: Sun Apr 12, 2009 3:53 am

Re: pdf or word doc?

Postby im_blue » Sun Nov 07, 2010 7:27 pm

ResolutePear wrote:
im_blue wrote:Because PDF files can contain all kinds of weird things, such as password protection, edit locking, encryption, etc that makes them a nightmare to combine with other files.


...you havn't really used Word, have you? lol.

The difference is that an applicant can just open up Word, type their PS, and send it to LSAC for easy conversion. However, if the applicant printed that PS from Word to some PDF converter, and then sent it to LSAC, that PDF converter could have easily put some protection on there without the applicant knowing about it.

schrizto
Posts: 22
Joined: Wed Aug 05, 2009 10:17 pm

Re: pdf or word doc?

Postby schrizto » Mon Nov 08, 2010 4:26 am

im_blue wrote:
ResolutePear wrote:
im_blue wrote:Because PDF files can contain all kinds of weird things, such as password protection, edit locking, encryption, etc that makes them a nightmare to combine with other files.


...you havn't really used Word, have you? lol.

The difference is that an applicant can just open up Word, type their PS, and send it to LSAC for easy conversion. However, if the applicant printed that PS from Word to some PDF converter, and then sent it to LSAC, that PDF converter could have easily put some protection on there without the applicant knowing about it.


You can convert a .doc to a pdf really easily in Microsoft Word. When I did college apps, I uploaded the documents as pdfs because it actually made the upload time much faster and the spacing/formatting wouldn't change weirdly. I could see how a third party pdf converter could cause problems but converting it in Word shouldn't.

And I'm not familiar with what LaTeX is :| .

User avatar
ResolutePear
Posts: 8614
Joined: Fri Jul 02, 2010 10:07 pm

Re: pdf or word doc?

Postby ResolutePear » Mon Nov 08, 2010 9:17 am

schrizto wrote:
im_blue wrote:
ResolutePear wrote:
im_blue wrote:Because PDF files can contain all kinds of weird things, such as password protection, edit locking, encryption, etc that makes them a nightmare to combine with other files.


...you havn't really used Word, have you? lol.

The difference is that an applicant can just open up Word, type their PS, and send it to LSAC for easy conversion. However, if the applicant printed that PS from Word to some PDF converter, and then sent it to LSAC, that PDF converter could have easily put some protection on there without the applicant knowing about it.


You can convert a .doc to a pdf really easily in Microsoft Word. When I did college apps, I uploaded the documents as pdfs because it actually made the upload time much faster and the spacing/formatting wouldn't change weirdly. I could see how a third party pdf converter could cause problems but converting it in Word shouldn't.

And I'm not familiar with what LaTeX is :| .


Most publishers require LaTeX, look it up.

When possible I use it because it lets me write out my paper and worry about formatting after the fact.




Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: dnyl56, phelpsy, Yahoo [Bot] and 4 guests