"Typo" on Yale application

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
MysticalWheel

"Typo" on Yale application

Postby MysticalWheel » Sat Nov 06, 2010 9:17 pm

Is it just me, or does the Yale J.D. application have a grammatical error on it? On the very last page of the application, right above the spaces for the applicant's signature and date, there are two short paragraphs in fine print. The last sentence of the first paragraph reads "These requirements differ from state to state, and applicants should inform yourself of the requirements of the jurisdictions in which you are interested." Correct me if I am wrong, but the way that that sentence is written, it should read "themselves" instead of "yourself," and "they" instead of "you," right? Either that, or change the second clause to "as an applicant, you should inform yourself..."

I'm just pointing this out because I was a bit shocked at seeing this on the Yale app!

MW

JazzOne

Re: "Typo" on Yale application

Postby JazzOne » Sat Nov 06, 2010 9:35 pm

MysticalWheel wrote:Is it just me, or does the Yale J.D. application have a grammatical error on it? On the very last page of the application, right above the spaces for the applicant's signature and date, there are two short paragraphs in fine print. The last sentence of the first paragraph reads "These requirements differ from state to state, and applicants should inform yourself of the requirements of the jurisdictions in which you are interested." Correct me if I am wrong, but the way that that sentence is written, it should read "themselves" instead of "yourself," and "they" instead of "you," right? Either that, or change the second clause to "as an applicant, you should inform yourself..."

I'm just pointing this out because I was a bit shocked at seeing this on the Yale app!

MW

I agree. The word "you" might reasonable be construed as plural third person, but "yourself" is clearly singular. Your revision is the best way to fix the error.

Postby 2014 » Sat Nov 06, 2010 10:00 pm

Email them with your LSAC# and let them know.

northwood

Postby northwood » Sat Nov 06, 2010 10:05 pm

perhaps those that have the guts to inform them of it will be rewarded with an acceptance letter.

JazzOne

Postby JazzOne » Sat Nov 06, 2010 10:10 pm

I'd use my 250 to analyze the error.

MysticalWheel

Postby MysticalWheel » Sat Nov 06, 2010 10:12 pm

2014 wrote:Email them with your LSAC# and let them know.

Ha! So they can look up this thread and see that I posted their error for everyone to see? They'll probably use my application fee to buy custom stamp pads reading "YOU DUMB IDIOT."

MW

alphagamma

Postby alphagamma » Sat Nov 06, 2010 10:25 pm

MysticalWheel wrote:
2014 wrote:Email them with your LSAC# and let them know.

Ha! So they can look up this thread and see that I posted their error for everyone to see? They'll probably use my application fee to buy custom stamp pads reading "YOU DUMB IDIOT."

MW

I believe this is a typo. It should read: "THEY DUMB IDIOT."

LOL.

canuck

Postby canuck » Sat Nov 06, 2010 10:42 pm

Ya definitely not applying to Yale after this. It's going to be hard to get a job without basic grammar skills. :wink:

oxford_don

Postby oxford_don » Sat Nov 06, 2010 11:04 pm

[]
Last edited by oxford_don on Mon May 12, 2014 8:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

BackToTheOldHouse

Postby BackToTheOldHouse » Sun Feb 27, 2011 1:35 pm

Reawakening this thread to point out another typo: point number 4 on the last page does not end in a period, while all the other points do (either end in a period or other appropriate punctuation mark).

I'm gonna email them right now about these errors. 8)

Hank Chill

Postby Hank Chill » Sun Feb 27, 2011 2:26 pm

MysticalWheel wrote:Is it just me, or does the Yale J.D. application have a grammatical error on it? On the very last page of the application, right above the spaces for the applicant's signature and date, there are two short paragraphs in fine print. The last sentence of the first paragraph reads "These requirements differ from state to state, and applicants should inform yourself of the requirements of the jurisdictions in which you are interested." Correct me if I am wrong, but the way that that sentence is written, it should read "themselves" instead of "yourself," and "they" instead of "you," right? Either that, or change the second clause to "as an applicant, you should inform yourself..."

MW

Yale=TTT

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”