Suffolk 2014

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
jaydizzle

Re: Suffolk 2014

Postby jaydizzle » Fri Jan 28, 2011 7:18 pm

minimalvanity wrote:Been hearing some great things about the school and its location. Received an email saying that I went complete on 1/13. I am assuming there is no status checker for Suffolk. Can anyone share some insight as to how long the turn around time has been?

It was about 3.5 weeks for me. I applied in mid-November though. There was no status checker.

minimalvanity

Postby minimalvanity » Fri Jan 28, 2011 7:59 pm

It was about 3.5 weeks for me. I applied in mid-November though. There was no status checker.

Yeah, I'm thinking it'll take at least that long since I applied later in the cycle. Thanks for info.

mkr5u

Postby mkr5u » Fri Jan 28, 2011 9:06 pm

I'm in today via small envelope! First acceptance!!

ElvisAaron

Postby ElvisAaron » Wed Feb 02, 2011 12:40 pm

Anyone going to the mock torts class 2/10?

ItsMyTimeBoston

Postby ItsMyTimeBoston » Wed Feb 02, 2011 4:03 pm

ElvisAaron wrote:Anyone going to the mock torts class 2/10?

I'm thinking about it.

Kurt Cobain

Postby Kurt Cobain » Wed Feb 02, 2011 5:07 pm

I'm probably going to go. Does anyone know if it's just sitting in on a real class or something else?

ElvisAaron

Postby ElvisAaron » Wed Feb 02, 2011 5:19 pm

Kurt Cobain wrote:

I'm probably going to go. Does anyone know if it's just sitting in on a real class or something else?

Its like a real class but its made up of 0Ls and doesn't count. They want you to participate, do the reading, etc.

jaydizzle

Postby jaydizzle » Wed Feb 02, 2011 5:23 pm

I was thinking about it, but I won't be able to make it. I will watch it online.

jaydizzle

Postby jaydizzle » Thu Feb 10, 2011 3:28 pm

So, anyone else hear about money? I emailed the admissions office before the end of January and have not heard a peep. I decided to email Dean Ellis directly today stating my case.

blerg

Postby blerg » Fri Feb 11, 2011 12:36 am

jaydizzle wrote:So, anyone else hear about money? I emailed the admissions office before the end of January and have not heard a peep. I decided to email Dean Ellis directly today stating my case.

I didn't get my offer until late March/early April and it's a full merit ride. Just wait it out.

jaydizzle

Postby jaydizzle » Fri Feb 11, 2011 9:23 am

blerg wrote:
jaydizzle wrote:So, anyone else hear about money? I emailed the admissions office before the end of January and have not heard a peep. I decided to email Dean Ellis directly today stating my case.

I didn't get my offer until late March/early April and it's a full merit ride. Just wait it out.

I'm trying to, but my other offers are less than desirable. As of now, I really don't have an option.

Kurt Cobain

Postby Kurt Cobain » Fri Feb 11, 2011 10:52 am

So who went?? I was there!

orm518

Postby orm518 » Fri Feb 11, 2011 11:11 am

Kurt Cobain wrote:

I liked the class a lot and it seems Glannon really does enjoy teaching. Maybe it's just me adjusting to a LS environment, but the first time I offered an answer I tried to articulate something in too much detail and he cut me off, the next time I answered much more succinctly and he seemed to approve.

I heard him mention to a girl after class though the common adage on TLS, "it's not always worth going into $125k of debt," I guess it was an extension of the comment he made about making sure you like the profession. That's from a guy safe in academia probably pulling down a hefty chunk of change. Made me feel better about Suffolk's nice merit $.
Last edited by orm518 on Fri Feb 11, 2011 12:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

stargazer3620

Postby stargazer3620 » Fri Feb 11, 2011 11:32 am

I haven't heard a thing from them at all. Applied 12/15, no complete email ever. I'm at Northeastern for undergrad and love Boston, it's just such a fun city! 163/3.2, come on Suffolk, what gives?? :shock:

ElvisAaron

Postby ElvisAaron » Fri Feb 11, 2011 12:07 pm

orm518 wrote:
Kurt Cobain wrote:

I liked the class a lot and it seems Glannon really does enjoy teaching. Maybe it's just me adjusting to a LS environment, but the first time I offered an answer I tried to articulate something in too much detail and he cut me off, the next time I answered much more succinctly and he seemed to approve.

I heard him mention to a girl after class though the common adage on TLS, "it's not always worth going into $125k of debt," I guess it was an extension of the comment and that's from a guy safe in academia probably pulling down a hefty chunk of change. Made me feel better about Suffolk's nice merit $.

I was there as well! Glannon seems like a good prof,easy to learn from. If thats the pace of a normal class though I think I'd find it really boring :(
Were you the asian female at the end of the left center row?

orm518

Postby orm518 » Fri Feb 11, 2011 12:13 pm

ElvisAaron wrote:
orm518 wrote:
Kurt Cobain wrote:

I heard him mention to a girl after class though the common adage on TLS, "it's not always worth going into $125k of debt," I guess it was an extension of the comment and that's from a guy safe in academia probably pulling down a hefty chunk of change. Made me feel better about Suffolk's nice merit $.

I was there as well! Glannon seems like a good prof,easy to learn from. If thats the pace of a normal class though I think I'd find it really boring :(
Were you the asian female at the end of the left center row?

Re: pace... I was baffled that he didn't let me speak longer since he did seem to draw some things out and dwell on others. And he allowed some people to speak very long (girl in front to Glannon's right) giving the WRONG answer.

Not asian, not female.

ElvisAaron

Postby ElvisAaron » Fri Feb 11, 2011 12:25 pm

Ah, was just guessing based on your description of your responses and your ORM name.
Yeah my comment on pace was my diplomatic version of " there seemed to be a lot of less than brilliant people there and they slow the class down".
At the risk of sounding like an arrogant ass, that was my only issue with the Suffolk visit.

orm518

Postby orm518 » Fri Feb 11, 2011 12:36 pm

ElvisAaron wrote:Ah, was just guessing based on your description of your responses and your ORM name.
Yeah my comment on pace was my diplomatic version of " there seemed to be a lot of less than brilliant people there and they slow the class down".
At the risk of sounding like an arrogant ass, that was my only issue with the Suffolk visit.

Ha! Didn't even think of ORM/URM..... hope that doesn't make me "less than brilliant."

[A-hole] But no, I felt the same way. Is it awful that I was hoping a lot of these people would end up getting weeded out? That being said, I want to do PI/Government law, not BigLaw, so Suffolk $$ and "less than brilliant" classmates could make me look pretty good. [/A-hole]

Edited: I didn't pick my words well, the sense I got wasn't a PT/FT thing, merely an overall preparedness thing. I know plenty of PT law students who are very diligent and intelligent. Sorry to anyone if I seemed I thought otherwise.

birD

Postby birD » Sat Feb 12, 2011 6:52 pm

less than brilliant people there

if that bothers you I wouldn't suggest going to a TTT, and don't be too pretentious considering you're thinking about going to a TTT too

ElvisAaron

Postby ElvisAaron » Sat Feb 12, 2011 7:29 pm

birD wrote:
less than brilliant people there

if that bothers you I wouldn't suggest going to a TTT, and don't be too pretentious considering you're thinking about going to a TTT too

I didn't say they didn't belong there or didn't have a right to be there. I said it was my only issue. As in, yeah that's a factor that I will take into account if I decide to attend there. I don't think its pretentious to worry that your classes will be boring and you will not be as stimulated if the school takes a "no child left behind" approach to teaching.
There are a lot of great reasons to pick Suffolk regardless of TTT status, but its disingenuous to pretend that the large number of 150s scorers at Suffolk aren't going to impact your class experience.

dgthree

Postby dgthree » Sun Feb 13, 2011 11:55 am

Blanket assumptions are probably in haste. I may peacock a little, but Suffolk has more than exceeded my expectations. Surprisingly you will find many brilliant students at Suffolk. Additionally, the professors do not take a dumbed down or slow approach to their classes.

I will say that there is a divide between those who care, either for transfer or work ethic reasons, and there are those who think a JD will get them an excellent job. This is at every law school though, the problem with Suffolk is you have all "townies" who fall in the latter category; making them stand out more.

In each section and program, day and evening, you will find people who are hard workers who attended schools like UMass, URI and UNH or naturally smart students who attended schools like Columbia, Mudd/Scripps, and Swarthmore. Then of course you have the obviously oblivious students who attended school from both spectrums as well.

Also, if you talk locally to many area students Suffolk as a TTT places only behind Harvard/BU/BC... Luckily for Suffolk most of the BU and Harvard students leave Boston. That leaves Suffolk competing with BC and Northeastern for most of the better jobs. For a class size of approximately 500 having 87% employed (not great, and unfortunately even worse only about 70% JD required/preferred jobs [which could be choice decisions into business]) but that is still good. And if you are lucky enough to be in the 10% that get into BigLaw that is great for TTT. Other schools that place 10% or more around between the 50-75 rankings.

ElvisAaron

Postby ElvisAaron » Sun Feb 13, 2011 3:42 pm

dgthree wrote:Blanket assumptions are probably in haste. I may peacock a little, but Suffolk has more than exceeded my expectations. Surprisingly you will find many brilliant students at Suffolk. Additionally, the professors do not take a dumbed down or slow approach to their classes.

I will say that there is a divide between those who care, either for transfer or work ethic reasons, and there are those who think a JD will get them an excellent job. This is at every law school though, the problem with Suffolk is you have all "townies" who fall in the latter category; making them stand out more.

In each section and program, day and evening, you will find people who are hard workers who attended schools like UMass, URI and UNH or naturally smart students who attended schools like Columbia, Mudd/Scripps, and Swarthmore. Then of course you have the obviously oblivious students who attended school from both spectrums as well.

Also, if you talk locally to many area students Suffolk as a TTT places only behind Harvard/BU/BC... Luckily for Suffolk most of the BU and Harvard students leave Boston. That leaves Suffolk competing with BC and Northeastern for most of the better jobs. For a class size of approximately 500 having 87% employed (not great, and unfortunately even worse only about 70% JD required/preferred jobs [which could be choice decisions into business]) but that is still good. And if you are lucky enough to be in the 10% that get into BigLaw that is great for TTT. Other schools that place 10% or more around between the 50-75 rankings.

Hmm, very good points! Glad to hear from a Suffolk student on the issue. Where did you get the 10% biglaw info btw?
Also, couldn't agree more on the "townie" characterization. I'm from MA and I still find it super annoying.

BCLS

Postby BCLS » Sun Feb 13, 2011 8:39 pm

Lol at 10% biglaw. More like top 1-3%

birD

Postby birD » Sun Feb 13, 2011 11:05 pm

stop trolling BCLS! we get it you go to BC were going to suffolk, you're a genius. :roll:

BCLS

Postby BCLS » Mon Feb 14, 2011 12:26 am

birD wrote:stop trolling BCLS! we get it you go to BC were going to suffolk, you're a genius. :roll:

Never said that. Clearing up some misconceptions for those who think biglaw is realistic from Suffolk before they invest their money.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”