Suffolk 2014

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
dgthree
Posts: 60
Joined: Fri Apr 09, 2010 6:40 pm

Re: Suffolk 2014

Postby dgthree » Mon Apr 25, 2011 2:01 pm

JusticeHarlan wrote:
orm518 wrote:
ItsMyTimeBoston wrote:
orm518 wrote:Has that file changed? Wasn't there one bouncing around that said 11% of grads were in Clerkships?

Or am I thinking of something else?


You're thinking of the survey for the class of 2008:

http://www.law.suffolk.edu/offices/care ... rvey08.pdf


Yes, good catch, I remembered it from our Best Case/Worst (hopefully) Case discussion on employment numbers.

Interestingly, US News says it's only 5%. Odd.


I think 2009 is roughly 5% and 2008 was 11%, it was clearly a good year or odd year since they had a much higher clerkship placement and lower government. I think its the same students that look into those positions and it comes down to which is hiring and how competitive the spots will be.

User avatar
JusticeHarlan
Posts: 1434
Joined: Tue Dec 15, 2009 2:56 pm

Re: Suffolk 2014

Postby JusticeHarlan » Mon Apr 25, 2011 4:53 pm

dgthree wrote:I think 2009 is roughly 5% and 2008 was 11%, it was clearly a good year or odd year since they had a much higher clerkship placement and lower government. I think its the same students that look into those positions and it comes down to which is hiring and how competitive the spots will be.

I was actually thinking about this, and here's one explanation:

The Massachusetts court system imposed a hiring freeze for positions like law clerks at the trial court level. I'm not sure of the time line or the full extent of the freeze, but given when the financial crisis unfolded, I would bet it probably affected class of 2009 clerks but not class of 2008. Having a lot of MA trial court judges unable to hire new clerks probably contributed a good bit of the drop.

krzr17
Posts: 11
Joined: Wed Apr 13, 2011 9:50 am

Re: Suffolk 2014

Postby krzr17 » Wed May 04, 2011 9:11 am

Has anyone on the waiting list heard anything? Just curious!

User avatar
birD
Posts: 194
Joined: Mon Jun 08, 2009 9:49 pm

Re: Suffolk 2014

Postby birD » Wed May 04, 2011 10:50 am

Did anyone read that NY Times article about losing LS scholarships? Do you think that would be a major problem with Suffolk as well? It really freaked me out...

User avatar
orm518
Posts: 161
Joined: Wed Jan 26, 2011 1:23 pm

Re: Suffolk 2014

Postby orm518 » Wed May 04, 2011 11:06 am

birD wrote:Did anyone read that NY Times article about losing LS scholarships? Do you think that would be a major problem with Suffolk as well? It really freaked me out...


Someone on here said they asked the school and they don't lump scholarships together in one section. So that's a plus.

Also, Suffolk's 3.0 requirement is median for 1L year (curve for second and third year is 3.15 making it even easier to keep a 3.0). This median GPA requirement is certainly nothing to scoff at, but significantly better than the Golden Gate U Law School requirement mentioned in the NYT. The article said GGU requires top 30% of your class.

At Suffolk, with a 3.0 curve you can get a 3.0 and be even lower than 50%, though not too much lower and anyone more confident in stats and standard deviations may disagree with me, this is because many people will be at median. If that makes sense. Either way scholarships are not a guarantee (which I know you know, I'm not trying to lecture here at all), the article freaked me out a bit too.

ETA: Do your due diligence first, but SULS's requirements are a bit less stringent than the example used in the article.

ItsMyTimeBoston
Posts: 228
Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 5:55 pm

Re: Suffolk 2014

Postby ItsMyTimeBoston » Wed May 04, 2011 1:50 pm

Folks who fall short of the 3.0 mark at Suffolk will not be in any kind of position to find acceptable employment anyway.

User avatar
orm518
Posts: 161
Joined: Wed Jan 26, 2011 1:23 pm

Re: Suffolk 2014

Postby orm518 » Wed May 04, 2011 2:16 pm

ItsMyTimeBoston wrote:Folks who fall short of the 3.0 mark at Suffolk will not be in any kind of position to find acceptable employment anyway.


Sadly, this.

If 45% of the class of 2010 got full-time JD required legal jobs, chances are it's not 100% correlated to top half of the class, but it's pretty damn close.

ItsMyTimeBoston
Posts: 228
Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 5:55 pm

Re: Suffolk 2014

Postby ItsMyTimeBoston » Wed May 04, 2011 2:23 pm

orm518 wrote:
ItsMyTimeBoston wrote:Folks who fall short of the 3.0 mark at Suffolk will not be in any kind of position to find acceptable employment anyway.


Sadly, this.

If 45% of the class of 2010 got full-time JD required legal jobs, chances are it's not 100% correlated to top half of the class, but it's pretty damn close.


Exactly!

krzr17
Posts: 11
Joined: Wed Apr 13, 2011 9:50 am

Re: Suffolk 2014

Postby krzr17 » Wed Jun 08, 2011 8:21 am

Just got my email and phone call today - I'm IN!!! Thanks everyone who replied and who was supportive! I'm so excited. Too bad my $500 deposit has already been accepted by NESL...Oh well - I'm going to Suffolk!

jaydizzle
Posts: 714
Joined: Sat Jan 17, 2009 6:28 pm

Re: Suffolk 2014

Postby jaydizzle » Wed Jun 08, 2011 5:48 pm

Hey guys, it's been nice talking with all of you. It looks like I will be going to IUB!

South Dakota
Posts: 6
Joined: Fri Jun 24, 2011 1:13 pm

Re: Suffolk 2014

Postby South Dakota » Fri Jun 24, 2011 1:49 pm

.

User avatar
amydubs
Posts: 7
Joined: Tue Jun 14, 2011 1:08 pm

Re: Suffolk 2014

Postby amydubs » Thu Aug 18, 2011 8:28 am

Don't know if this thread is still active or if this is the right place to ask this, I was just wondering if there is anyone who is currently full time at Suffolk that could answer a quick question. What is the weekly class schedule like, as far as how many days a week, etc. I know it varies from section to section, I'm basically just wondering if it's feasible to commute from RI (it would be about 50min on the MBTA's Commuter Rail) Even paying the $200/month MBTA pass, I could save a TON of money living at home, I lived in Boston for undergrad, and have a considerable amount of undergraduate debt. Thanks for any insight!

areyouinsane
Posts: 208
Joined: Tue Jun 14, 2011 3:22 pm

Re: Suffolk 2014

Postby areyouinsane » Thu Aug 18, 2011 8:40 am

A Suffolk JD may lead one to suicide:

--LinkRemoved--

You guys are making a VERY big mistake by attending this pathetic, bottom-feeding toilet.

BeanTownBee
Posts: 17
Joined: Thu Oct 14, 2010 11:44 pm

Re: Suffolk 2014

Postby BeanTownBee » Thu Aug 18, 2011 10:52 am

amydubs wrote:Don't know if this thread is still active or if this is the right place to ask this, I was just wondering if there is anyone who is currently full time at Suffolk that could answer a quick question. What is the weekly class schedule like, as far as how many days a week, etc. I know it varies from section to section, I'm basically just wondering if it's feasible to commute from RI (it would be about 50min on the MBTA's Commuter Rail) Even paying the $200/month MBTA pass, I could save a TON of money living at home, I lived in Boston for undergrad, and have a considerable amount of undergraduate debt. Thanks for any insight!


This is basically my schedule as a 1L rounded to the next hour (keep in mind there are 1hr breaks between some of these classes):

M - 10-3
T - 10-4
W - 10-3
Th - 10-1
F - 1-4

You wouldn't have to get up super early but living in RI really takes you away from being able to go to school functions and puts you on a schedule with the MBTA as far as how late you can stay to study. But the cost of living in Boston can range from 10k-20k, so it may pay off in the end.

User avatar
amydubs
Posts: 7
Joined: Tue Jun 14, 2011 1:08 pm

Re: Suffolk 2014

Postby amydubs » Thu Aug 18, 2011 12:30 pm

BeanTownBee wrote:
amydubs wrote:Don't know if this thread is still active or if this is the right place to ask this, I was just wondering if there is anyone who is currently full time at Suffolk that could answer a quick question. What is the weekly class schedule like, as far as how many days a week, etc. I know it varies from section to section, I'm basically just wondering if it's feasible to commute from RI (it would be about 50min on the MBTA's Commuter Rail) Even paying the $200/month MBTA pass, I could save a TON of money living at home, I lived in Boston for undergrad, and have a considerable amount of undergraduate debt. Thanks for any insight!


This is basically my schedule as a 1L rounded to the next hour (keep in mind there are 1hr breaks between some of these classes):

M - 10-3
T - 10-4
W - 10-3
Th - 10-1
F - 1-4

You wouldn't have to get up super early but living in RI really takes you away from being able to go to school functions and puts you on a schedule with the MBTA as far as how late you can stay to study. But the cost of living in Boston can range from 10k-20k, so it may pay off in the end.


Thanks for the info. Yea, I figure I would be disadvantaged when it comes to social things and time wasting on commuting, I might try and settle for a happy medium of moving to just outside of Boston that's still with the regular rapid transit T range, or live at home for the first year then move up to Boston. Like you say, living in Boston is expensive, I don't know if I can move back there for 3 more years while not having any substantial income to speak of.
Thanks again!

User avatar
orm518
Posts: 161
Joined: Wed Jan 26, 2011 1:23 pm

Re: Suffolk 2014

Postby orm518 » Fri Aug 19, 2011 2:49 am

Posted this in the other SULS 2014 forum too.

Side note for others who attended tonight's swearing-in oath:

Not to get too technical, but the Tremont Temple has burned down a few times in its history. The current building was built in 1896. Lincoln didn't stand on THAT exact stage.

Source: MA History buff

User avatar
reasonable_man
Posts: 2200
Joined: Thu Feb 12, 2009 5:41 pm

Re: Suffolk 2014

Postby reasonable_man » Fri Aug 19, 2011 8:44 am

ItsMyTimeBoston wrote:Folks who fall short of the 3.0 mark at Suffolk will not be in any kind of position to find acceptable employment anyway.



Did you mean to say "Folks who fall short of the 3.85 mark at Suffolk will not be in any kind of a position to find acceptable employment anyway - and its an all out crap shoot for the .15 in the "top" of the class?"

If so, I agree. If not, the 3.0 mark is a TAD too low for the cutoff for "acceptable employment."


As far as clerkships... Clerking at the Massachusetts Family Court for a trial judge counts into that percentage; so I'd keep that in mind.

jake768
Posts: 12
Joined: Tue Aug 05, 2008 10:34 am

Re: Suffolk 2014

Postby jake768 » Fri Aug 19, 2011 9:07 am

Suffolk 3L here... did Boston BigLaw SA, got offer, it does happen. Suffolk certainly isnt Harvard, BU or BC, but its Boston network exists. Welcome all.

User avatar
reasonable_man
Posts: 2200
Joined: Thu Feb 12, 2009 5:41 pm

Re: Suffolk 2014

Postby reasonable_man » Fri Aug 19, 2011 9:24 am

jake768 wrote:Suffolk 3L here... did Boston BigLaw SA, got offer, it does happen. Suffolk certainly isnt Harvard, BU or BC, but its Boston network exists. Welcome all.



First, congratulations. You should be extremely proud.

Second, would you agree that you are an exception and far from the rule?

Third, have they asked you for a casting of your penis to make a statue yet? I assume they do that for the biglaw bound grads?

jake768
Posts: 12
Joined: Tue Aug 05, 2008 10:34 am

Re: Suffolk 2014

Postby jake768 » Fri Aug 19, 2011 9:32 am

ha, thanks, yep, i'm an exception. plenty of my well qualified friends weren't as fortunate. i'm a bit older and had some practice specific work experience that distinguished me. never set foot in career services, the traditional path just doesn't exist these days.

will send pics of the statue when complete

User avatar
reasonable_man
Posts: 2200
Joined: Thu Feb 12, 2009 5:41 pm

Re: Suffolk 2014

Postby reasonable_man » Fri Aug 19, 2011 10:31 am

jake768 wrote:ha, thanks, yep, i'm an exception. plenty of my well qualified friends weren't as fortunate. i'm a bit older and had some practice specific work experience that distinguished me. never set foot in career services, the traditional path just doesn't exist these days.

will send pics of the statue when complete



I didn't end up in biglaw, but I graduated from a TTT about 3 years back and have done pretty well for myself (certainly better than most of the poor bastards I graduated with). Your statement "the traditional path just doesn't exist these days" is spot on. Sadly, most people do not appreciate how hard it is to make things happen in a "non-traditional" way.

Again, congratulations to you. We look forward to the statute lol.




Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 5 guests