Suffolk 2014

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
birD

Re: Suffolk 2014

Postby birD » Mon Mar 21, 2011 6:04 pm

was having the shittiest day until I came on TLS and saw everyone bashing BCLS. I thought I was the only one who thought this guy was the most annoying person on the planet. Dude you are in law school at BC do you seriously not have anything better to do then look at the TLS Suffolk Forum all day?! I doubt someone who is "handsome" is spending all their time doing that. Get a life and leave us alone. FYI we do not care that you go to BC so shut your pie hole. this time forever please.
Last edited by birD on Mon Mar 21, 2011 6:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jaydizzle

Postby jaydizzle » Mon Mar 21, 2011 6:06 pm

orm518 wrote:
jaydizzle wrote:I was browsing around the Suffolk site and found that half of the tuition payment is due in July. This seems rather early for me. Did anyone else notice this? I am on a couple waitlists as I have said before, so I don't want to be too locked in.

http://www.law.suffolk.edu/admissions/i ... tDates.cfm

I am guessing it is refundable.

I'd also like to know how this works. I know that Grad PLUS loans are available to request come May, so if they're requested on time will they credit by July 1st?
And then there's the getting your CoL out of your account, I think the school has 14days from start of classes, unless I'm misreading stuff.

Have to study more of the information on that folder the FinAid letter came in.

Yeah, I have the same questions.

jaydizzle

Postby jaydizzle » Mon Mar 21, 2011 6:08 pm

birD wrote:was having the shittiest day until I came on TLS and saw everyone bashing BCLS. I thought I was the only one who thought this guy was the most annoying person on the planet. Dude you are in law school at BC do you seriously not have anything better to do then look at the TLS Suffolk Forum all day?! I doubt someone who is "handsome" is spending all their time doing that. Get a life and leave us alone. FYI we do not care that you go to BC so shut your pie hole. this time forever please.

Just ignore the poor sap. This is what I will be doing from now on. With his attitude he will get the shit kicked out of him someday,

BCLS

Postby BCLS » Mon Mar 21, 2011 6:10 pm

jaydizzle wrote:
birD wrote:was having the shittiest day until I came on TLS and saw everyone bashing BCLS. I thought I was the only one who thought this guy was the most annoying person on the planet. Dude you are in law school at BC do you seriously not have anything better to do then look at the TLS Suffolk Forum all day?! I doubt someone who is "handsome" is spending all their time doing that. Get a life and leave us alone. FYI we do not care that you go to BC so shut your pie hole. this time forever please.

Just ignore the poor sap. This is what I will be doing from now on. With his attitude he will get the shit kicked out of him someday,

LOL :roll:

Suffolk2L

Postby Suffolk2L » Mon Mar 21, 2011 6:21 pm

While BCLS may be abrasive with his feelings on Suffolk, he is not the only one. Being a 2L and having gone through OCI now a lot of employers also have the same attitude as BCLS about Suffolk. That's not to say that as a Suffolk grad you won't get a job, but one of the realities I've learned is how some places are extremely prestige driven. The BC name may open more doors initially but Suffolk can provide good employment opportunities as well. I know I'm rambling and might not be making a lot of sense but I guess my point is that there are plenty of people professionally in Big law that hold that negative opinion of Suffolk. Also, in terms of clerking at graduation the SJC is basically a no-go and it's EXTREMELY difficult to get a Article III clerkship as well. I'm pretty sure I've already discussed Biglaw opportunities at Suffolk as well in an earlier post. Suffolk's strength is really in small-mid law and local government. As such BC and Suffolk are serving their students for two different job markets.

dailygrind

Postby dailygrind » Mon Mar 21, 2011 6:54 pm

I've given BCLS a timeout for trolling. If he trolls here again, report him and a moderator will deal with it.

dgthree

Postby dgthree » Mon Mar 21, 2011 8:35 pm

orm518 wrote:
jaydizzle wrote:I was browsing around the Suffolk site and found that half of the tuition payment is due in July. This seems rather early for me. Did anyone else notice this? I am on a couple waitlists as I have said before, so I don't want to be too locked in.

http://www.law.suffolk.edu/admissions/i ... tDates.cfm

I am guessing it is refundable.

I'd also like to know how this works. I know that Grad PLUS loans are available to request come May, so if they're requested on time will they credit by July 1st?
And then there's the getting your CoL out of your account, I think the school has 14days from start of classes, unless I'm misreading stuff.

Have to study more of the information on that folder the FinAid letter came in.

If you are receiving financial aid then nothing is due. The loans will cover it and you will receive a check back from the school for housing.

However, if you have a scholarship the loans will not cover it, but the school has that noted and there is nothing to worry about. a PS, if you have a scholarship you can call and request an advance (receive refund check when loan students do) to pay rent and other things that you will be using for the scholarship; otherwise you will have to wait about an extra 2 weeks to receive your scholarship-refund check.

LaProfe14

Postby LaProfe14 » Wed Mar 23, 2011 11:38 am

sent my stuff in 1/25 and haven't heard anything even though I live in the Northeast! ugghhh i feel like ppl on LSN that applied around my time all got there answers by now

jaydizzle

Postby jaydizzle » Wed Mar 23, 2011 11:41 am

I visited yesterday. I enjoyed my visit, and the school is truly in an awesome location. My concern is that the school does seem pretty big as it is the 5th largest school in the country and holy crap is it expensive to live in Boston.

69Coronet

Postby 69Coronet » Thu Mar 24, 2011 1:41 pm

So don't live IN Boston.

Live outside it, and make the short commute on the train into the city... thats what I'm going to do.

ItsMyTimeBoston

Postby ItsMyTimeBoston » Thu Mar 24, 2011 2:10 pm

69Coronet wrote:So don't live IN Boston.

Live outside it, and make the short commute on the train into the city... thats what I'm going to do.

Just don't live too far out or you'll be spending $200-$300/month on a train pass--money that could go to living close to school and maximizing your time.

orm518

Postby orm518 » Thu Mar 24, 2011 2:45 pm

ItsMyTimeBoston wrote:

Just don't live too far out or you'll be spending $200-$300/month on a train pass--money that could go to living close to school and maximizing your time.

Speaking as someone who commuted from a Zone 7 (of eight) station for two years to downtown Boston to work FT, DON'T DO IT!

Unless you know you can study on a train, that's crowded (at rush), and probably late, you'll end up wasting too much time commuting. If you want cheap, you'd be best to look at JP (25-30min from your door to Suffolk on the Orange Line), or even Quincy near the Red Line (more like 40 minutes).

I can't highly recommend enough rapid transit subway lines, not the commuter rail.

dgthree

Postby dgthree » Fri Mar 25, 2011 12:19 pm

orm518 wrote:
ItsMyTimeBoston wrote:

Speaking as someone who commuted from a Zone 7 (of eight) station for two years to downtown Boston to work FT, DON'T DO IT!

Unless you know you can study on a train, that's crowded (at rush), and probably late, you'll end up wasting too much time commuting. If you want cheap, you'd be best to look at JP (25-30min from your door to Suffolk on the Orange Line), or even Quincy near the Red Line (more like 40 minutes).

I can't highly recommend enough rapid transit subway lines, not the commuter rail.

I can second that I commuted from both zone 7 and 8 and that lasted about 2 months before I had to find an apartment in the city. The commute was long I had to either rush or sit around to catch the right train at the right time. I would recommend the Orange line anywhere and you can find a reasonable price. I generally like the Orange line north of the city if I am going to live outside of walking distance.

69Coronet

Postby 69Coronet » Fri Mar 25, 2011 3:53 pm

If anyone wants to put a name to the face tonight at the accepted students night, I'll have a black suit and a bright blue shirt on... feel free to introduce yourself.

jaydizzle

Postby jaydizzle » Fri Mar 25, 2011 4:13 pm

I can't make it out tonight, but let me know how it goes everyone.

birD

Postby birD » Mon Mar 28, 2011 2:36 pm

how did the event on friday go?

orm518

Postby orm518 » Mon Mar 28, 2011 2:50 pm

birD wrote:how did the event on friday go?

Both speakers were good, it's anecdotal, but I suppose good to hear alumni being successful in the business world. Professor Roberts seemed sharp, admitted he's never really practiced law, which I like to hear career academicians admit.

They kept pounding home the rankings on the specialties (which the consensus on TLS is, don't matter). Of the students I talked to, everyone seemed to like Suffolk. I'm sure the selected group of students who they ask to show up are the ones with successful stories, though, so grain of salt. I heard from a journal editor, a PT student with a RA position at BCLS, a student who's going to be an AIII clerk in the midwest post-grad.

Dean Nelson seemed awesome.

The book's not bad if you're a PI/politics/gov't dork like I am.

birD

Postby birD » Tue Mar 29, 2011 2:29 pm

I was looking over my financial aid packet and was pleasently suprised when I saw that they had upped my scholarship from 35k to the full 42k. Anyone else get more $$$?

ItsMyTimeBoston

Postby ItsMyTimeBoston » Tue Mar 29, 2011 2:35 pm

birD wrote:I was looking over my financial aid packet and was pleasently suprised when I saw that they had upped my scholarship from 35k to the full 42k. Anyone else get more $$$?

Wow, that's awesome! Did you recently get this financial aid packet, or is it one you received several weeks ago and you just didn't look over it carefully?

I'm supposed to be getting a new award letter and will keep my fingers crossed!

birD

Postby birD » Tue Mar 29, 2011 2:42 pm

Wow, that's awesome! Did you recently get this financial aid packet, or is it one you received several weeks ago and you just didn't look over it carefully?

I didn't get my aid packet until last thursday or friday and didn't really look at until the weekend.

I remember once seeing a breakdown of the percent of people that get a 0 - 25% , 25 - 50%, 50 - full scholarships but I can't seem to find it anywhere. Anyone know what I'm talking about and where to find it? I'm curious...

ItsMyTimeBoston

Postby ItsMyTimeBoston » Tue Mar 29, 2011 2:47 pm

birD wrote:

I didn't get my aid packet until last thursday or friday and didn't really look at until the weekend.

I remember once seeing a breakdown of the percent of people that get a 0 - 25% , 25 - 50%, 50 - full scholarships but I can't seem to find it anywhere. Anyone know what I'm talking about and where to find it? I'm curious...

I remember seeing on the informational pages provided by the ABA on LSAC's website. Maybe under school data. I'll look and check. I know it puts you in a very select group!

ItsMyTimeBoston

Postby ItsMyTimeBoston » Tue Mar 29, 2011 2:50 pm

ItsMyTimeBoston wrote:
birD wrote:

I remember seeing on the informational pages provided by the ABA on LSAC's website. Maybe under school data. I'll look and check. I know it puts you in a very select group!

Second page of this:

--LinkRemoved--

birD

Postby birD » Tue Mar 29, 2011 4:22 pm

Second page of this:

https://officialguide.lsac.org/Release/ ... BA3771.pdf

Yes! Thank you! Glad you're moving to the day program :)

ItsMyTimeBoston

Postby ItsMyTimeBoston » Tue Mar 29, 2011 4:36 pm

birD wrote:
Second page of this:

https://officialguide.lsac.org/Release/ ... BA3771.pdf

Yes! Thank you! Glad you're moving to the day program :)

You're welcome! You will be a part of that very select .07% of the total student population. I'm currently only in line to be a part of the 6.7%, but I emailed Dean Ellis and was informed that she'd consider me for more money if after the April 15 deadline others with scholarship offers decline. Wish me luck!

Thank you! I'm trying to keep up with you :)

Ghenghis Khan

Postby Ghenghis Khan » Tue Mar 29, 2011 5:24 pm

Sort of a complete random question...but are law students granted acces to the undergrad facilities such as a gym? (although I know nothing about the undergrad institution so I'm not sure if there is one for undergrads either)

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”