Suffolk 2014

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
ItsMyTimeBoston

Re: Suffolk 2014

Postby ItsMyTimeBoston » Mon Mar 21, 2011 3:19 pm

BCLS wrote:
ItsMyTimeBoston wrote:
ItsMyTimeBoston wrote:
BCLS wrote:Lol at not having a job upon graduation

I know two people, both top 20% at BC who are graduating this year with nothing lined up.

Moreover, BCLS was ripped up by a BC 2L in his own topic:

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=129348

bcls85 wrote:I'm a 2L BC Law student. I share your enthusiasm for the atmosphere at the school, but I should caution that employment prospects are still dismal. Seems like only the top 10-15% are faring well, and outside of that it's hit or miss. Plenty of LR students don't have jobs.

I don't think there are many better places than BC to go to school, but before considering which law school you would like to attend, you must evaluate whether going to law school in such an uncertain job environment is worth the extraordinary investment.

I say none of this out of frustration, as I do have a summer offer. I am only warning you that while campus life is great, job prospects right now are not.

and

bcls85 wrote:Yes, my post was with respect to law school in general. Boston is especially hard to break into now. The Boston College 3L anonymous letter that appears on www. eagleionline.com reflects the frustration of law school students across the country.

A partner at a prestigious firm in Boston, during my callback interview with that firm, questioned why anyone would pay the extraordinary expense of law school given employment prospects right now. They are not bad for just the bottom of the class, or median. Firms have cut down their class sizes significantly, and there is no indication that they will be increased to a point where law school will become an attractive investment in the near future.

So while the majority of your classmates make plans to live at home while paying back that $200,000 to BC. I'll take my chances at Suffolk with a hefty scholarship.

Ha typical Suffolk law student oversight-- our names are completely different.

Those posts were in response to your posts.

orm518

Postby orm518 » Mon Mar 21, 2011 3:23 pm

edit: superfluous....

IMTB already pointed it out

BCLS

Postby BCLS » Mon Mar 21, 2011 3:28 pm

I would directly challenge those assertions. BC is faring very well and most students have exceptional jobs lined up. I personally know most of the LR kids and I can't think of ONE without something (not necessarily all big law, but a lot of government/clerkship/small and mid law). BC gets some law, Suffolk gets no law. Gotta love a 500+ class in an already saturated market. Must suck to be one of the worst schools in Boston-- I wouldn't want to put a "Suffolk Law" sweatshirt on and walk around the city, thats for sure.

dgthree

Postby dgthree » Mon Mar 21, 2011 3:29 pm

Take it for what it is worth, this email was just sent out to students.

Dear Students,

I hope you enjoyed the March Break, finding time for some relaxation and rejuvenation. As you likely know the US News & World Report recently published the results of its annual survey entitled, “America’s Best Graduate Schools.” For law schools, this report attempts to rank and score the top 145 schools and now places the remaining schools in another tier in which the schools are listed in alphabetical order.

The US News Ranking system uses certain criterion in an attempt to assess excellence in legal education. That said, there are ways in which this framework for subjective analysis is inherently stacked against schools such as ours. Specifically, some of the features of the US News & World Report that produce disparate results for schools like ours include their use of median LSAT measures, through which it is more difficult for large schools to be favorably recognized, the failure to equitably incorporate the richness, access, and opportunity added by strong evening programs such as ours on their own measure of excellence (instead of compared with other day programs), the per capita expenditure metric which favors small schools and the emphasis on national reputation, which often minimizes schools with strong regional roots and connections. Accordingly, the US News & World report provides one framework for evaluating some of the myriad matters that factor into law school excellence and intellectual life. Despite these challenges the score assessed by US News & World Report for Suffolk University Law School (SULS) was 31, one point shy of the 32 cut-off to be listed in the top 145 schools. As such we were ranked 146 of the 190 listed law schools.

Moreover, despite these odds SULS has cause to celebrate. As in years past the rankings for our Legal Writing and Clinical Programs were both nationally ranked (13th and 21th respectively). Further, both the LPS program and the Clinics improved their positions from last year. Additionally, SULS received national recognition for the first time in two other areas. Both our programs in Trial Advocacy (ranked 14th) and our Intellectual Property Law Program (ranked 26th) are ranked for the first time this year. It appears that we are the only school in the country to have received this triple skills ranking recognition of Legal Writing, Trial Advocacy and Clinical Programs – all three of which are the highest ranked programs of their type in the northeast region. As these are all peer-reviewed rankings, this is an excellent comment on the national reputation of our law school across the country.

This is an exciting time to be at Suffolk University Law School! We are proud of the rich theoretical and practical experiences that add to our robust academic environment. Together with the faculty, administrators and staff, I will continue to work hard to ensure that Suffolk University Law School continues to provide a first class legal education that is befitting of the excellent students who contribute to this being a fantastic place to learn the law and grow in your professional and personal lives.

All the best,

Camille Nelson
Dean and Professor of Law
Suffolk University Law School

jaydizzle

Postby jaydizzle » Mon Mar 21, 2011 3:32 pm

BCLS wrote:I would directly challenge those assertions. BC is faring very well and most students have exceptional jobs lined up. I personally know most of the LR kids and I can't think of ONE without something (not necessarily all big law, but a lot of government/clerkship/small and mid law). BC gets some law, Suffolk gets no law. Gotta love a 500+ class in an already saturated market. Must suck to be one of the worst schools in Boston-- I wouldn't want to put a "Suffolk Law" sweatshirt on and walk around the city, thats for sure.

Hey, want to meet up? :wink:

ItsMyTimeBoston

Postby ItsMyTimeBoston » Mon Mar 21, 2011 3:33 pm

BCLS wrote:
ItsMyTimeBoston wrote:
BCLS wrote:Lol at not having a job upon graduation

I know two people, both top 20% at BC who are graduating this year with nothing lined up.

That's sad. I'm sure they will find something soon. I know many more who have great jobs lined up, almost none without at least something (albeit not all biglaw). Furthermore, if its that bad at BC, what's it like at Suffolk?

I agree.

We all agree that BC is a great school. The fact remains that most of those attending Suffolk do not have numbers that would get them into BC, are taking significant scholarships or are attracted to Suffolk's evening program. Anyone that has half a brain and is on this website knows the reputation of both schools, their positions in Boston and nationally.

I work with many BC lawyers - all great people - and they have all warned me about looking down on others because of the law school they attended as some of the smartest lawyers they've worked with, against and for have been Suffolk and NESL grads. The bottom line is that while it's fine to warn others about employment prospects, the legal job market, etc., it's not cool to come on here and make people feel bad about the school they are planning on attending. Most of us have been on here for the past several months. We know the deal. You made your point on this thread several pages ago. Every page does not need to be filled with negativity.
Last edited by ItsMyTimeBoston on Mon Mar 21, 2011 3:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

orm518

Postby orm518 » Mon Mar 21, 2011 3:36 pm

BCLS wrote: I wouldn't want to put a "Suffolk Law" sweatshirt on and walk around the city, thats for sure.

Yeah, got forbid, you might run into the DAs of Suffolk or Middlesex counties, a couple of congressmen (I'll give BC credit for Senator Kerry and Senator Cosmo), and a bazillion judges and local politicians.

I bet they all would tell you to take it off.

That's the kind of local reputation that USNWR will never capture when it comes to SULS. Is it weaker in its market than Harvard (duh.), BU, and BC, yes. Does it still manage to turn out very successful lawyers, yes.

jaydizzle

Postby jaydizzle » Mon Mar 21, 2011 3:42 pm

BCLS wrote:I would directly challenge those assertions. BC is faring very well and most students have exceptional jobs lined up. I personally know most of the LR kids and I can't think of ONE without something (not necessarily all big law, but a lot of government/clerkship/small and mid law). BC gets some law, Suffolk gets no law. Gotta love a 500+ class in an already saturated market. Must suck to be one of the worst schools in Boston-- I wouldn't want to put a "Suffolk Law" sweatshirt on and walk around the city, thats for sure.

I'm sorry man, but you don't go to Harvard. Why do you have to be such a prick? Are you paying 200k for your legal education? A lot of us won't be paying much or anything at all at Suffolk. The way you are acting is as if you got the Hamilton at Columbia or got into Harvard or Yale. If I end up at Suffolk I would love to meet up and see what you look like in real life.

BCLS

Postby BCLS » Mon Mar 21, 2011 3:42 pm

orm518 wrote:
BCLS wrote: I wouldn't want to put a "Suffolk Law" sweatshirt on and walk around the city, thats for sure.

Yeah, got forbid, you might run into the DAs of Suffolk or Middlesex counties, a couple of congressmen (I'll give BC credit for Senator Kerry and Senator Cosmo), and a bazillion judges and local politicians.

I bet they all would tell you to take it off.

That's the kind of local reputation that USNWR will never capture when it comes to SULS. Is it weaker in its market than Harvard (duh.), BU, and BC, yes. Does it still manage to turn out very successful lawyers, yes.

Suffolk was a different school in a different market back then. Times have changed.

BCLS

Postby BCLS » Mon Mar 21, 2011 3:42 pm

jaydizzle wrote:

I'm sorry man, but you don't go to Harvard. Why do you have to be such a prick? Are you paying 200k for your legal education? A lot of us won't be paying much or anything at all at Suffolk. The way you are acting is as if you got the Hamilton at Columbia or got into Harvard or Yale. If I end up at Suffolk I would love to meet up and see what you look like in real life.

not paying a dime :D See profile for stats.

I'm quite handsome. Unfortunately, we won't be able to meet. You'll be working at Starbucks I'll be in the Prudential tower.

jaydizzle

Postby jaydizzle » Mon Mar 21, 2011 3:49 pm

BCLS wrote:
jaydizzle wrote:

I'm quite handsome. Unfortunately, we won't be able to meet. You'll be working at Starbucks I'll be in the Prudential tower.

lol, wishful thinking. You still haven't answered why you think you are the son of God. I am going to laugh my ass off if you don't get big law. What's wrong with going to Suffolk for free? With your stats you should have done better than BC. I never said anything about you being handsome. What's the matter, don't want to meet up for a friendly drink?

BCLS

Postby BCLS » Mon Mar 21, 2011 3:52 pm

jaydizzle wrote:
BCLS wrote:
jaydizzle wrote:

lol, wishful thinking. You still haven't answered why you think you are the son of God. I am going to laugh my ass off if you don't get big law. What's wrong with going to Suffolk for free? With your stats you should have done better than BC. I never said anything about you being handsome. What's the matter, don't want to meet up for a friendly drink?

First, it's ok that you're upset about your school choice. I understand and completely empathize with you! I did do better than BC, but sadly none were able to offer me a generous scholarship :(.

jaydizzle

Postby jaydizzle » Mon Mar 21, 2011 3:59 pm

All bow at the altar of the son of God! He goes to the prestigious BC. I'm pretty happy with the idea of attending Suffolk and not having a lot of debt from the school.

orm518

Postby orm518 » Mon Mar 21, 2011 4:02 pm

jaydizzle wrote:All bow at the altar of the son of God! He goes to the prestigious BC. I'm pretty happy with the idea of attending Suffolk and not having a lot of debt from the school.

Jay, if you're not from the area like I am, you'll soon get used to this attitude from BC students, even the undergrads think their $hit doesn't stink out there in Newton. Like they're at the ninth Ivy.

edit: us prospective Suffolk kids can't spell :lol:

BCLS

Postby BCLS » Mon Mar 21, 2011 4:03 pm

jaydizzle wrote:All bow at the altar of the son of God! He goes to the prestigious BC. I'm pretty happy with the idea of attending Suffolk and not having a lot of debt from the school.

Jay you forgot one thing. It's true you wont have debt. But what else could we be forgetting? Oh yes!!!!! You also won't have a job! :)

BCLS

Postby BCLS » Mon Mar 21, 2011 4:04 pm

orm518 wrote:

Jay, if you're not from the area like I am, you'll soon get used to this attitude from BC students, even the undergrads think their $hit doesn't stink out there in Newton. Like they're at the ninth Ivy.

edit: us prospective Suffolk kids can't spell :lol:

Not a surprise-- you all scored in the 140's on the LSAT right?

orm518

Postby orm518 » Mon Mar 21, 2011 4:07 pm

Side note: thanks to the poster above who copied in Dean Nelson's letter to the school. Congrats, you're the only one of us to provide anything substantive to this thread all afternoon.

69Coronet

Postby 69Coronet » Mon Mar 21, 2011 4:26 pm

I seriously cannot believe how big of a douche BCLS is... classic keyboard jockey right there.
Reminds me why I'm glad I'm not going there, I might have turned out just that douche-y.

I'm up for meeting up Friday night, I'm hoping to get there around 5:30 or so with my girlfriend.

Actually, BCLS, why don't you come up? We can all have a drink together, and then maybe we can all hear just how big and tough you are when you aren't hiding behind a keyboard on the internet and have to face the people you're belittling in person.

BCLS

Postby BCLS » Mon Mar 21, 2011 4:30 pm

69Coronet wrote:I seriously cannot believe how big of a douche BCLS is... classic keyboard jockey right there.
Reminds me why I'm glad I'm not going there, I might have turned out just that douche-y.

I'm up for meeting up Friday night, I'm hoping to get there around 5:30 or so with my girlfriend.

Actually, BCLS, why don't you come up? We can all have a drink together, and then maybe we can all hear just how big and tough you are when you aren't hiding behind a keyboard on the internet and have to face the people you're belittling in person.

More classic Suffolk student assumptions-- are these the questions that gave you the most trouble on the LSAT? Probably.

69Coronet

Postby 69Coronet » Mon Mar 21, 2011 4:38 pm

Did I make assumptions?

Nope, your words speak louder than anything else, and prove exactly what I said.
There weren't any assumptions made on my part, you're just consciously ignoring what a complete and utter ass you're being.

Also, the utter irony of you telling me I made assumptions and then telling me that Suffolk students are all fragile is equally hilarious, but you aren't interested in the irony of the situation, just interested in being a jerk.

I'm sure BC Law would be proud that one of their students feels the need to belittle others on the internet. Did you perhaps write about that in your personal statement?
"I'm BCLS, and I enjoy putting down others by hiding behind my keyboard. Please let me attend your school."

BCLS

Postby BCLS » Mon Mar 21, 2011 4:39 pm

69Coronet wrote:Did I make assumptions?

Nope, your words speak louder than anything else, and prove exactly what I said.
There weren't any assumptions made on my part, you're just consciously ignoring what a complete and utter ass you're being.

Also, the utter irony of you telling me I made assumptions and then telling me that Suffolk students are all fragile is equally hilarious, but you aren't interested in the irony of the situation, just interested in being a jerk.

I'm sure BC Law would be proud that one of their students feels the need to belittle others on the internet. Did you perhaps write about that in your personal statement?
"I'm BCLS, and I enjoy putting down others by hiding behind my keyboard. Please let me attend your school."

I never made any assumptions. Don't make things up. It's ok, don't be upset.

Sunny703

Postby Sunny703 » Mon Mar 21, 2011 4:56 pm

May I change the subject? Of those who received official financial aid letters/packets, were any of you non-scholly? Any idea on whether final information is pending tax forms?

PS. I vote for ….ignoring BCLS!
It baffles me how a 2L at BC, or any other serious law/graduate school, has the time, interest or inclination to waste spewing derogatory editorial and unsubstantiated elitism in a forum designed to elevate and support the law school process. (Is there another board for slamming peers and future colleagues?)

69Coronet

Postby 69Coronet » Mon Mar 21, 2011 5:08 pm

When I got my financial aid packet, it included my scholarship.

And yes, final information is pending tax forms, if you haven't sent them already or if they haven't received them yet.
I sent all of my forms in at the middle of February, including my tax forms and my NEED profile.
I had my fin aid decision (and subsequent scholarship) within 2-3 weeks.

You're right about BCLS, I'll be ignoring him/her/it from now on...

jaydizzle

Postby jaydizzle » Mon Mar 21, 2011 5:46 pm

I was browsing around the Suffolk site and found that half of the tuition payment is due in July. This seems rather early for me. Did anyone else notice this? I am on a couple waitlists as I have said before, so I don't want to be too locked in.

http://www.law.suffolk.edu/admissions/i ... tDates.cfm

I am guessing it is refundable.

orm518

Postby orm518 » Mon Mar 21, 2011 6:02 pm

jaydizzle wrote:I was browsing around the Suffolk site and found that half of the tuition payment is due in July. This seems rather early for me. Did anyone else notice this? I am on a couple waitlists as I have said before, so I don't want to be too locked in.

http://www.law.suffolk.edu/admissions/i ... tDates.cfm

I am guessing it is refundable.

I'd also like to know how this works. I know that Grad PLUS loans are available to request come May, so if they're requested on time will they credit by July 1st?
And then there's the getting your CoL out of your account, I think the school has 14days from start of classes, unless I'm misreading stuff.

Have to study more of the information on that folder the FinAid letter came in.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”